Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cheap temporary streamer
(07-Apr-2015, 19:17)bobertk Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 19:15)bobertk Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 18:55)Womaz Wrote: Hi
I stream using JRiver on my laptop. The NAS drive is Ethernet wired to my 200 if that helps. I use the JRiver app on my Ipad and occasionally control it from the laptop.

Do you have a robust router/connection to the laptop/ipad?  A high end router via 5Ghz is essential even for airplay at low bit rates. More thruput and way less interference.
I use a TPLink Archer C7 router; ASUS and Netgear make great routers also.  Browsing is much faster as well.  Wireless is the bottleneck.

Then you have to experiment with router/antenna position, as these things have dead spots, even close by.

Also, I find that for each source change, a disconnect/change source/reconnect procedure with the AIR app on my mac helps
to minimize dropouts and that ticking noise.  The disconnect/reconnect also resolves the noise.

As a last resort, I have a very good sounding Straightwire USB 3.0 m cable.  $70

This is all software. Software is inherently buggy.  Remains to be seen how dedicated Devialet is to improving performance.  They seem to be overwhelmed w Phantom problems at the moment. 

Is your D200/router ethernet wired or wireless?    I'd go router ethernet to both NAS and to D200.  Use Cat6a cable.

Hi
My router is brand new as when i was considering the 200 I had a feeling my old router may have been problematic. I have just tried to find the make of the router but cant find it. It is supplied by SKY and I have the 40mb service.

I do not use wireless for the 200 everything is ethernet wired . The router to my NAS and the NAS to my 200. Bought a decent audioquest Cinammon ethernet cable too.

You mention dead spots? Can this still happen when ethernet wired?, sorry my knowledge not good in this area.

If it goes off do you mean exit from the Devialet app and then connect again and to also disconnect the ethernet and connect again?

USB is not really suitable for me as I use the lap top for work , but would this alleviate the AIR issue. If it would I could
consider this. i would be delighted if I could get a more stable AIR function as the SQ is excellent, but I am wary of throwing further cash at ths with no real certainty that it will improve things.

Big thanks for the input here, much appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(07-Apr-2015, 19:38)Womaz Wrote:
I stream using JRiver on my laptop. The NAS drive is Ethernet wired to my 200 if that helps. I use the JRiver app on my Ipad and occasionally control it from the laptop.

Do you have a robust router/connection to the laptop/ipad?  A high end router via 5Ghz is essential even for airplay at low bit rates. More thruput and way less interference.
I use a TPLink Archer C7 router; ASUS and Netgear make great routers also.  Browsing is much faster as well.  Wireless is the bottleneck.

Then you have to experiment with router/antenna position, as these things have dead spots, even close by.

Also, I find that for each source change, a disconnect/change source/reconnect procedure with the AIR app on my mac helps
to minimize dropouts and that ticking noise.  The disconnect/reconnect also resolves the noise.

As a last resort, I have a very good sounding Straightwire USB 3.0 m cable.  $70

This is all software. Software is inherently buggy.  Remains to be seen how dedicated Devialet is to improving performance.  They seem to be overwhelmed w Phantom problems at the moment. 

Is your D200/router ethernet wired or wireless?    I'd go router ethernet to both NAS and to D200.  Use Cat6a cable.

Hi
My router is brand new as when i was considering the 200 I had a feeling my old router may have been problematic. I have just tried to find the make of the router but cant find it. It is supplied by SKY and I have the 40mb service.

I do not use wireless for the 200 everything is ethernet wired . The router to my NAS and the NAS to my 200. Bought a decent audioquest Cinammon ethernet cable too.

You mention dead spots? Can this still happen when ethernet wired?, sorry my knowledge not good in this area.

If it goes off do you mean exit from the Devialet app and then connect again and to also disconnect the ethernet and connect again?

USB is not really suitable for me as I use the lap top for work , but would this alleviate the AIR issue. If it would I could
consider this. i would be delighted if I could get a more stable AIR function as the SQ is excellent, but I am wary of throwing further cash at ths with no real certainty that it will improve things.

Wireless is the bottleneck here, regardless of AIR programming.

A provider supplied router is likely insufficient.  They are designed for email, surfing.  The last thing SKY want is for you to actually USE 40mbps.

Especially if you are in a congested area you want to be on the 5Ghz frequency - all sorts of crap emit noise on 2.4.   My TPLink was only $99 US and my web pages and youtubes load much faster and do not dropout, in addition to far fewer issues w airplay and AIR.  Google around and look for a router w multiple antennas.   $100-200 US gets a great router.  Small outlay vs the audio system cost and even if it fails to alleviate issues you get benefit when working. 

Try router to NAS and router directly to D200.  If the jRiver laptop is running on the wireless then dead spots can impact performance

exit/reenter the AIR app.   Really, you sometimes have to reboot the ecosystem.  Just like any other software.  Trick is to note circumstances - it's much more likely to be dependent on something than totally random. Some event triggers the issue(s) - find the event and you are on your way.

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

living in Salt Lake City, USA
(07-Apr-2015, 19:59)bobertk Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 19:38)Womaz Wrote:

Hi

Wireless is the bottleneck here, regardless of AIR programming.

A provider supplied router is likely insufficient.  They are designed for email, surfing.  The last thing SKY want is for you to actually USE 40mbps.

Especially if you are in a congested area you want to be on the 5Ghz frequency - all sorts of crap emit noise on 2.4.   My TPLink was only $99 US and my web pages and youtubes load much faster and do not dropout, in addition to far fewer issues w airplay and AIR.  Google around and look for a router w multiple antennas.   $100-200 US gets a great router.  Small outlay vs the audio system cost and even if it fails to alleviate issues you get benefit when working. 

Try router to NAS and router directly to D200.  If the jRiver laptop is running on the wireless then dead spots can impact performance

exit/reenter the AIR app.   Really, you sometimes have to reboot the ecosystem.  Just like any other software.  Trick is to note circumstances - it's much more likely to be dependent on something than totally random. Some event triggers the issue(s) - find the event and you are on your way.
to be clear - use the router to route. it is the hub.  NAS as hub cannot be optimal.  

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

My internet is now lightning fast since the upgrade. I dont really live in a congested area so not sure that would be an issue.
The router you use id here for £85, and I get where you are coming from about the cost of this via the cost of the 200, but like I say i have spent over £650 already on trying to get AIR to work so for now I am not inclined to spend any more.

The laptop is connected wireless so this could be one of the issues. I had no idea this could affect AIR if everything else is wired.

My I pad app seems to me to be one of the events which speeds up the white noise. If i sit and listen to full albums I can get a couple of hours uninteruptrd listening. If i skip tracks and move to different albums this tends to speed up the shutdown.

Some great tips on here though, so thanks again.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
to be clear - use the router to route. it is the hub.  NAS as hub cannot be optimal.  

?? sorry again i dont understand this point.
Steve,

If you're using wired Ethernet between the Devialet and router, you don't have to worry about congestion, 2.4 vs 5 GHz, etc, etc.

Sorry, just saw you said your PC is wireless. So that may be an issue - but if so you'd also most likely be aware of it independent of using AIR.

I really doubt the router is the bottleneck or troublemaker here. To stream 16/44 material you're only asking for a throughput of about 180 kB/sec (1.4 Mbps), maybe double that if you're simultaneously reading the file from a network-attached PC or disk. That's trivial in comparison to the throughput of a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection.

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Starting to think that taking the computer out of my music playback may be the best long term option.
It is how I originally intended to use the 200, but AIR is so good when it works that I had sort of changed my mind.

The journey continues Smile ......
(07-Apr-2015, 20:15)thumb5 Wrote: Steve,

If you're using wired Ethernet between the Devialet and router, you don't have to worry about congestion, 2.4 vs 5 GHz, etc, etc.

Sorry, just saw you said your PC is wireless.  So that may be an issue - but if so you'd also most likely be aware of it independent of using AIR.

I really doubt the router is the bottleneck or troublemaker here.  To stream 16/44 material you're only asking for a throughput of about 180 kB/sec (1.4 Mbps), maybe double that if you're simultaneously reading the file from a network-attached PC or disk.  That's trivial in comparison to the throughput of a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection.

Ian

Ah my old friend Ian Smile

This is what I always thought too. Since I upgraded my broadband it is very reliable and fast too.

Thanks again Ian
Yes, taking the computer out of the playback system could be a good plan for several reasons. Apart from avoiding problems with AIR, you're also not going to be at the mercy of Windows updates, etc. upsetting a working system. But also, I find it much easier to relax and enjoy the music if I don't have to be using a computer to play it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Apr-2015, 20:10)Womaz Wrote: to be clear - use the router to route. it is the hub.  NAS as hub cannot be optimal.  

?? sorry again i dont understand this point.

you said you have the router to NAS and the NAS to D200

1) remove the ethernet direct link from NAS to 200 (keep router to NAS)

2) insert ethernet direct link router to 200

the routers job is to talk to and coordinate everyone - it directs traffic.  running NAS into 200 means 200 must use wireless to communicate w AIR

What did you spend the 650 quid on?