Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning the Devialet
Just saw this stuff recommended by a hi end equipment dealer on another forum:
http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-SMUDGEOFF-...smudge+off
I am still hesitant to use any cleaner. I think I read somewhere, may be the user's guide, that Devialet recommends just using Windex?

I use 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish for my kitchen, woulf it work with the Devialet?
(05-Dec-2014, 02:35)agentsmith Wrote: I am still hesitant to use any cleaner. I think I read somewhere, may be the user's guide, that Devialet recommends just using Windex?

I use 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish for my kitchen, woulf it work with the Devialet?

That sounds like something that would be abrasive; not a good idea.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
OK I will staying away from that steel cleaner then.

Stubborn blotches do tend to stay in that gorgeous surface that cannot be cleaned by just water.

Usually I use LCD screen cleaners and they seem to work, but not polished clean.

I hesitate to polish the surface by rubbing it like waxing a car, I am sure it would get unsightly swirls.

But it is very difficult to have a perfect shine without a thin layer of "foggy" substance.
Hi !

I see on one of the pictures of the factory tour that they clean the Devialets with this product :

https://www.chemtronics.com/p-733-eco-ri...eaner.aspx
Devialet 250 ■ Wilson Audio Duette ■ Apple Mac Mini & PiTouch
Audiophonics ethernet cable ■ Audioquest Diamond USB cable ■ LessLoss Anchorwave speaker cables ■ LessLoss Signature power cords

France
I use Windex on my D-Primer. Put a small spray on a folded paper towel and rub. Done. Why is it that highend audio lovers want to make everything so difficult? After all the manual spells this out!
Hg
(30-Dec-2014, 06:14)simplicate Wrote: I use Windex on my D-Primer. Put a small spray on a folded paper towel and rub. Done. Why is it that highend audio lovers want to make everything so difficult? After all the manual spells this out!
Hg

Put the Windex in a 50ml bottle and charge $40.- Then they will use it Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I clean my D200 with Glassex. No idea what it's called outside The Netherlands.
It's basically a multi-surface and glass cleaner. I use it with a micro-fiber cleaning cloth.
Works great.
Devialet 200 | Marten Django L | Modified Philips CD940 | Technics SL1210 Mk2
Hi,

Well it is a chrome surface so any not to aggressive acid would do together with a quality micro cloth. There are good chrome polishes from car care take companies that are non scratch generating like products from Meguiars. I've done a lot of car maintenance so please remember to use high quality micro fibre cloths or else the cheap shit cloths will micro scratch the surface and after a few times this will build up and micro scratch 'clouding' will occur. If that happens there is no way back.
Standard paper WILL scratch the surface with regular polishing as all paper contain more or less leftover sand particles from the manufacturing process going from wood to paper.

Easy solution: Get a chrome polish (car care companies have a lot to chose from). These polishes may have 'abrasives' but it does not mean they will scratch. Apply with a fine pored sponge (from car care too) and then clean with a very high quality micro fibre cloth (car care again). That will do the trick without to much elbow grease.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi,
The surface treatment is NOT chrome! I would not recommend any polishing agent at all. Any glass cleaners I suggests testing it on the remote control or the rear edge of the back cable cover first. The Devialet casing is made from cast aluminum, which is then machined and polished. After that, they apply a layer of copper, followed by chemical nickel plating. The advantages of chemical nickel plating is that the layer thickness is extremely even, it enters small gaps and layers sharp edges with the exact same thickness, plus it looks nice. However, it's susceptible to staining from fingerprints (and other substances), due to it not being a member of the so called precious metals. In other words, it reacts to acids among other. It's actually not that easily scratched per say, but due to the soft underlying material, thin layer and mirror finish, even the smallest scratch will show clearly.
I do not use glass cleaner, just because it will leave them very "dry" and non slippery, which increase the risk of scratching. Any car detailing nerd will know this Wink.
I also never use anything paper based, because it will scratch. You might not be able to see it, yet, but there will be scratches eventually.

I clean and protect mine like this:
First I dust them with canned compressed air (usually it's nitrogen), to remove any big/heavy particles. Keep the can upright, or it will spray liquid nitrogen and it may stain and is dangerously cold.
Then remove the last and finest remaining dust with a duster that has microfiber bristles, followed by a clean(!) microfiber cloth.
If there are stains, just continue with the following steps.
-The following steps require that they are unplugged, to be at ambient temperature-
If there are any stains, I remove them with DI water and 99.7% pure ethanol (not the kind with denaturing agents), about 50/50% mix on a clean(!) waffle surfaced microfiber cloth, carefully. Not really rubbing, but just wiping. I end with turning the cloth, so I can wipe it dry. Any stains should be gone now.
You're now left with a stain- and streak free surface, if the products and cloths used are good quality. However, the surface is also very "dry" and non slippery, so there is a risk of scratching when dusting them next time. Avoid using regular "fluffy" microfiber cloths until the final step below, since microfibers might come loose and stick to the nickel surface. Use the waffle type.
I've tried a handfull of different quick detailers for car paints, sometimes called wiping solutions or wiping agents, but all but one left greasy looking marks (that could be removed with the above said DI water + ethanol mix, but left the surface bare again). The only one that worked for me, was a product called Orchard AutoCare Perfection. It makes the surface rather slippery, but it's not visible.
Spray it onto the surface and wipe/buff until dry and streak free, with a fluffy high quality (clean!) microfiber cloth. Finalize by turning the cloth over, to an unused side and buff completely dry.
Since the Devialet is hopefully being kept inside, the treatment will last for months.

I can also recommend the Orchard products for your car. However, I am not affiliated with them in any way and will not give any specific recommendations, since paint is even more sensitive than nickel plating.

.::disclaimer - I will take no responsibility for any kind of damages, loss or similar issues, due to following, not fully following or not follwing the suggestions above::.
Ken - a new Devialet fan, located in Sweden  Cool