Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold sound
I have now had my 200 for a week and just got my companion today. Both sounds very cold and thin in sound. No big sound stage and on tv it's almost unbearable to listen to. The s's on the speaking is really annoying and I am not impressed by the sound. Have I forgotten something in the configurator or do these amp take time to burn in..? Both where brand new when I got them. 

I know my speakers and they can sound better than this. It sounds like there is a filter on sound.. Very bright and very boomy.. Icm is off also
This might help:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=140
And another one .......

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=123
Plus, a dealer did once tell me a tail of a D800 owner who failed to connect to the correct speaker terminals.   The dual red connection is a little odd......   Apparently the amp still works but at reduced performance, although I wouldn't like to try it myself.

That said, it's as plain as day when you look at the configurator and I guess you've double checked everything.
Thanks for the links.. You really made my evening.. I will wait and stop worrying about it..
(20-Jan-2016, 21:27)Confused Wrote: Plus, a dealer did once tell me a tail of a D800 owner who failed to connect to the correct speaker terminals.   The dual red connection is a little odd......   Apparently the amp still works but at reduced performance, although I wouldn't like to try it myself.

That said, it's as plain as day when you look at the configurator and I guess you've double checked everything.

I double checked this and also checked the stereo sound, and it is all setup correctly .... I think.. But you never know. Ha ha
(20-Jan-2016, 20:55)TDA Wrote: I have now had my 200 for a week and just got my companion today. Both sounds very cold and thin in sound. No big sound stage and on tv it's almost unbearable to listen to. The s's on the speaking is really annoying and I am not impressed by the sound. Have I forgotten something in the configurator or do these amp take time to burn in..? Both where brand new when I got them. 

I know my speakers and they can sound better than this. It sounds like there is a filter on sound.. Very bright and very boomy.. Icm is off also

Turn off DPM in configurator. Install firmware 7.1.3 beta or 9.0.1.
Use copper cables with great musicality like Kondo SPc.
Devialet is not a tube like gear. 
Try Another loudspeaker with warmer but natural sound like Sonus Faber Elipsa or Guarneri Evolution.
(20-Jan-2016, 22:33)moreno1973 Wrote:
(20-Jan-2016, 20:55)TDA Wrote: I have now had my 200 for a week and just got my companion today. Both sounds very cold and thin in sound. No big sound stage and on tv it's almost unbearable to listen to. The s's on the speaking is really annoying and I am not impressed by the sound. Have I forgotten something in the configurator or do these amp take time to burn in..? Both where brand new when I got them. 

Turn off DPM in configurator. Install firmware 7.1.3 beta or 9.0.1.
Use copper cables with great musicality like Kondo SPc.
Devialet is not a tube like gear. 
Try Another loudspeaker with warmer but natural sound like Sonus Faber Elipsa or Guarneri Evolution.

I will try and switch of DPM

But I will not buy new speakers because of this. Dev should run the speakers properly and shouldn't sound like this.

That for sure.
Installing 7.1.3 like Moreno says is a good tip. It only takes 10 minutes and it sounds much warmer in the mids and highs.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(21-Jan-2016, 10:31)Cylob Wrote: Installing 7.1.3 like Moreno says is a good tip. It only takes 10 minutes and it sounds much warmer in the mids and highs.

my speakers are not SAM'ed in this software. but i will maybe try and see if this sounds better.

it is just strange that i need to go that way

i will wait 2 months to see if the amps improve in sound... Then i will take it from there. moreno blamed it on the speakers, but you must unterstadn that it sounded fine in my room with other amps. so this should have been an improvement... I will wait and listen..

if they do not improve i will sell them again. Then dev is not for me..