Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting 220 to my network
If you look at your photo showing your configuration you will s ee that the ethernet input is active on the upper amp, the master, and inactive on the lower amp, the companion.

Perhaps the reason that ethernet started working when you unplugged the cable from your companion and plugged it into the master was because it was then connected to an active ethernet input.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I recently purchased a Devialet Expert 220 Pro. The box listed it as a “companion” vs. a “master.” As I only have a single unit (not a 440) my guess is that the designation doesn’t matter. Correct? Anyway, I only stream via Roon and it’s been a royal nightmare. I hope it gets fixed soon!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(12-May-2019, 21:31)alaw Wrote:
(11-May-2019, 01:39)Flashman Wrote: my guess is that the designation doesn’t matter.  Correct?

CI upgraded, they are the same. The master is the one with the "master" SD card config.

(11-May-2019, 01:39)Flashman Wrote: Anyway, I only stream via Roon and it’s been a royal nightmare.  I hope it gets fixed soon!

So do I, but since switching to WiFi, honestly everything has been working fine for me.
@"alaw" Thanks for confirmation about upgraded CI board and companion vs. master.

I just had an “aha!” moment.  In Roon, I had both Roon Ready and Roon AIR enabled.  Problem was they had the same IP address.  I should have realized that presented a conflict.  So I disabled AIR and bingo, Roon Ready became stable!  I still have stability issues with Roon Ready — including slowly loading TIDAL media — but it’s leagues better than before.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I am new to this chat room. I recently got the D220 expert pro core and Dynaudio C1 platinum speakers. I have a couple of questions regarding connections.

1. I am streaming Tidal via USB from my Mac laptop. I was told that USB degrades music quality and that I should get a USB/SPDIF converter. Berkeley Audio sells Alpha USB for $2000. Is this worth the money? Is this the weak link in my system?
2. If SPDIF is better, which cable do you recommend?
3. Some people recommend connecting ethernet into Devialet. How do you control the music choice if it is not going through a streamer or a laptop?

I would appreciate any thoughts on these questions.
Having used USB input to my Devialet, I'd have to say that the word "degrades" is an exaggeration. I think many use USB input and find that it sounds great. Another alternative might be to stream via AIR over ethernet to your Devialet. I do prefer using AIR over USB, but it's far from a dramatic improvement. Of course, I have not tried the Alpha USB so I can't speak to its value.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(20-Jul-2019, 15:27)chungjh Wrote: I am new to this chat room. I recently got the D220 expert pro core and Dynaudio C1 platinum speakers. I have a couple of questions regarding connections.

1. I am streaming Tidal via USB from my Mac laptop. I was told that USB degrades music quality and that I should get a USB/SPDIF converter. Berkeley Audio sells Alpha USB for $2000. Is this worth the money? Is this the weak link in my system?
3. Some people recommend connecting ethernet into Devialet. How do you control the music choice if it is not going through a streamer or a laptop?

1- I think USB is better than SPDIF and I personally prefer ethernet to USB. I tend to be suspicious about converters of any kind though I have used a USB to ethernet converter. Where possible I would always try to avoid using a converter. 

2- No comment.

3- You use an application to control music choice. When you're streaming Tidal from your laptop via USB, you're probably using the Tidal app. USB is like a road on which the signal travels from your computer to your Devialet and ethernet is just a different road it can use. You control the music choice the same way whether you're using ethernet or USB
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(20-Jul-2019, 22:04)David A Wrote:
(20-Jul-2019, 15:27)chungjh Wrote: I am new to this chat room. I recently got the D220 expert pro core and Dynaudio C1 platinum speakers. I have a couple of questions regarding connections.

1- I think USB is better than SPDIF and I personally prefer ethernet to USB. I tend to be suspicious about converters of any kind though I have used a USB to ethernet converter. Where possible I would always try to avoid using a converter. 

2- No comment.

3- You use an application to control music choice. When you're streaming Tidal from your laptop via USB, you're probably using the Tidal app. USB is like a road on which the signal travels from your computer to your Devialet and ethernet is just a different road it can use. You control the music choice the same way whether you're using ethernet or USB
Oh, you are saying to connect my laptop to Devialet via ethernet cable?
What I'm saying is that I prefer the sound I get when I use the ethernet input on my Devialet.

There are 2 ways to do that. The usual way is to connect both your source (your laptop) and your Devialet to the same network via ethernet. If your laptop is connected to a router of some kind then you also connect the Devialet to the same router. They simply communicate with each other over the same network.

The second way is what this thread is about and this thread only applies to people using a Roon Nucleus or Nucleus+ server or a NAS drive running the Roon Rock operating system and it's about how they can connect a second ethernet cable from their Nucleus, Nucleus+, or NAS drive directly to the ethernet port of the Devialet. This thread doesn't apply to other people using sources other than those specific sources I listed so it does not apply to you. I don't know if it would work for you.

Before I tried the method in this thread I was using the usual method, connecting my Nucleus+ server and my Devialet to the same network which meant that both were connected to an ethernet switch which was connected to my router which is in another room. If my router were in the same room as my server and the Devialet both of them would have been connected directly to the router. If you want to use an ethernet connection to the Devialet with your laptop as your source then I recommend connecting both of them to a wired ethernet network in the usual way.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
To clarify, you can use a direct (point-to-point) connection between two Ethernet devices, such as a computer (e.g. Roon Nucleus, Mac Mini, ...) and a Devialet provided:

1) at least one of the devices has automatic cross-over ("Auto MDI-X"), or you use an Ethernet cross-over cable;

and

2) you manually configure a fixed, static IP address on each device, making sure they are different but on the same IP subnet.

Most devices nowadays do have auto MDI-X so usually a cross-over cable is not needed.

The details of how to set up static IP addresses vary from one device/computer to another.  For the Devialet Expert family, it is done using the configurator.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(23-Jul-2019, 21:23)thumb5 Wrote: To clarify, you can use a direct (point-to-point) connection between two Ethernet devices, such as a computer (e.g. Roon Nucleus, Mac Mini, ...) and a Devialet provided:

1) at least one of the devices has automatic cross-over ("Auto MDI-X"), or you use an Ethernet cross-over cable;

and

2) you manually configure a fixed, static IP address on each device, making sure they are different but on the same IP subnet.

Most devices nowadays do have auto MDI-X so usually a cross-over cable is not needed.

The details of how to set up static IP addresses vary from one device/computer to another.  For the Devialet Expert family, it is done using the configurator.

I know. I started a separate thread on how to do a direct point to point connection between a Roon Nucleus or Nucleus+ and a Devialet some weeks ago. It requires the use of a USB to ethernet adapter (the Nucleus and Nucleus+ have only 1 ethernet port and Roon requires a network connection of its own so you need 2 ethernet connections to the server, one for the Roon network connection to the internet and one to the Devialet) and manual IP addresses. The method I quoted in that thread came from a post from Roon's Danny Dulai in one of the Roon forums.

When I said "The second way is what this thread is about…" I was mistaken. I was thinking about the thread I started because I had been dealing with @chungjh 's query also in that thread in recent days and forgot which thread I was responding in.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia