Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crackling noise with AIR WLAN
(19-Feb-2015, 09:00)DelaneyB Wrote: That's my setup and it doesn't solve the probvlem...
I've just bought a Moon MiND instead of dealing with all the internet issues with AIR. A shame that this issue ruins the Devialet experience for Mac owners....

I don't think this is a problem for all Mac owners. I don't have it and have not had it since Devialet first sent the wifi modules to me to fit to my D-Premiers.
Certainly I felt like a beta tester with Air v1 which took a while to debug, but problems like this first surfaced with Windows users with V2.
The original concept for AIR was Mac/iTunes only and most if not all the problems we have had have been with V2 which is a complete rewrite to give compatibility to PCs and other programmes than iTunes.
It is probable that the enormous extra complexity imposed on AIR v2 makes it many times more difficult to debug every possible combination of hardware and software than the original concept, which was iTunes on a Mac.

Personally I wish Air had been left as a Mac/iTunes link and anybody preferring to use other hardware or software could use USB Smile
Devialet really shot themselves in the foot trying to please the "customer is always right" ethos.
IMHO of course.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi Brendan

Like Frank I don't have any problems using iMac AIR wi-fi or wired. I can stream 24/96 or 24/192 with no drop-outs or White noise.

I would like to remove my Mac from the playback chain and will be interested to hear your thoughts on the MiND.

Of course Dialog/Spark may eventually obviate the need for any type of streamer.

Regards,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Just read this on the Devialet web sit:
"DIALOG is ready for PHANTOM and will come mid-2015 to DEVIALET EXPERT amplifiers."
Also, the Spark application is ready for download but it works with Phantom only.

Beside that, I contacted the Devialet support because I was experiencing some crackling noise when playing highres music (96khz/24bit) via AIR/Ethernet from my Mac (Yosemite). This noise occurred on irregular times and disappeared after stopping and re-starting the Air application on my Mac.
Devialet answered very quickly, this is what they wrote:
"These cuts usually happens because of the network signal that is not well received by the Devialet; Our engineers are planning to improve the situation in a next update; By experience you can maybe get a better sound quality without cuts by changing the buffer. We use a 1000ms buffer and it reduces cuts here."

I have changed the buffer to 1000ms and it seems to work now without crackles although I might have to listen and enjoy a bit longer, just to ensure ;-)

Regards,
Dirk
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
I think I am now regretting my decision to move away from Naim and into a Devialet. Sure it has better dynamics and control but the playback issues with crackles make this very unsexy for a somewhat expensive toy ! I restarted the AIR app and iTunes and it seems to have improved. Will also try increasing the buffer to 2000.

It is really too bad since the home demo from a few weeks ago was almost perfect but since bringing home the 120, it's been somewhat disappointing.

I do not want or have to be put in a position to spend another $1500 or so on a Moon Mind or Auralic just so the Devialet can work ! This makes no sense.

I might have to try creating a separate network to see if this helps.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
Well, it works well with the USB cable....
(I'm also ex-Naim, and not regretting it.)
My Moon miND arrived today. easy to set up. The iPad app works very well and my wife loves it.
No crackles and drop outs.
The bass is slightly fuller than ethernet.
Its worth the investment and i'm still £9,500 up on selling my Naim gear..
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

Ants,

You could try linking the Mac Mini to the 120 using USB or optical cables. Both should be fine and you won't get crackles. 

Philip

EDIT: I just saw Brendan suggested USB as well...  I also moved from Naim and don't regret it at all Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-Feb-2015, 22:30)PhilP Wrote: Ants,

You could try linking the Mac Mini to the 120 using USB or optical cables. Both should be fine and you won't get crackles. 

Philip

EDIT: I just saw Brendan suggested USB as well...  I also moved from Naim and don't regret it at all Wink

Hi PhilP,

Yeah, there are more than a few ex-Naim users who made the jump.
I'll try the optical route and USB. Is one method offer a sonic benefit over the other ?

Thank you for the advice
Ants
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
(19-Feb-2015, 22:22)DelaneyB Wrote: Well, it works well with the USB cable....
(I'm also ex-Naim, and not regretting it.)
My Moon miND arrived today. easy to set up. The iPad app works very well and my wife loves it.
No crackles and drop outs.
The bass is slightly fuller than ethernet.
Its worth the investment and i'm still £9,500 up on selling my Naim gear..

Thanks for the info. Will try the USB. If I come across a pre-loved Moon, I might consider it and it seems the Moon control app for iPad is good.

I sold a two year old SuperUniti/Powerline/NAC A5 cables to fund the purchase. Had this been 10 years ago, I would have had some change left over from the sale of 10 Naim boxes and Naim Fraim !

Cheers
Ants
Pretty much same as me then 10 years on DAC/555PS/252/SCDR/300/S400s full PL and hi Line 2 x 4 shelves Fraim...

Now Mac Mini / Moon / Devialet 250 / Atohm GT1 SE
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(19-Feb-2015, 23:10)DelaneyB Wrote: Pretty much same as me then 10 years on DAC/555PS/252/SCDR/300/S400s full PL and hi Line 2 x 4 shelves Fraim...

Now Mac Mini / Moon / Devialet 250 / Atohm GT1 SE

I was not in that deep with the more recent series and financial outlay. Now I understand the nice sum of change when you sold your gear. I stopped myself during the "chrome bumper/olive" heyday with a couple of 135s, SuperCap/52/CDX and a fully tricked out Linn LP 12/Troika/Ekos/Lingo and some old school Linn Isobariks and a Fraim. Then sold the LP/CD collection went for a LFD integrated, added a Weiss DAC and Mac mini and got some nice old Naim SBLs. It's only over the last two or so years that I went back to Naim with the all-in-one-solution. Then, when I tried the Devialet, it was pretty clear that is was better and I just had to have it !!!