Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crackling noise with AIR WLAN
(19-Feb-2015, 22:48)Ants Wrote: Hi PhilP,

Yeah, there are more than a few ex-Naim users who made the jump.
I'll try the optical route and USB. Is one method offer a sonic benefit over the other ?

Thank you for the advice
Ants

USB is generally thought to be superior to optical but if you look around on here or any other forum you will see that people go to great lengths to reduce jitter and RFI/EMI on USB connections.Generally optical is not rated so highly though I see that Damon is happily using one.

If I were you I would try any USB or optical cable that you have to hand and see what you think of the results.  I saw Guillaume just recommended Chord Silver Plus USB on another thread as a good value starting point and the TotalDAC USB cable as offering excellent performance.  I use an Optichord to link to an Apple TV and it's fine. The Wireworld Supernova is highly regarded and not too expensive.

Good luck!
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-Feb-2015, 23:21)Ants Wrote:
(19-Feb-2015, 23:10)DelaneyB Wrote: Pretty much same as me then 10 years on DAC/555PS/252/SCDR/300/S400s full PL and hi Line 2 x 4 shelves Fraim...

Now Mac Mini / Moon / Devialet 250 / Atohm GT1 SE

I was not in that deep with the more recent series and financial outlay. Now I understand the nice sum of change when you sold your gear. I stopped myself during the "chrome bumper/olive" heyday with a couple of 135s, SuperCap/52/CDX and a fully tricked out Linn LP 12/Troika/Ekos/Lingo and some old school Linn Isobariks and a Fraim. Then sold the LP/CD collection went for a LFD integrated, added a Weiss DAC and Mac mini and got some nice old Naim SBLs. It's only over the last two or so years that I went back to Naim with the all-in-one-solution. Then, when I tried the Devialet, it was pretty clear that is was better and I just had to have it !!!

I have testet the Mac mini solution, but I didn't found a comfortable solution to control iTunes on NAS, WIMP, Spotify - plus I had to use the TV as Display, to small to control it from the sofa 3m away. How do you control your Mac mini ? I think the only solution is direct streaming with the ipad.
(20-Feb-2015, 18:35)midi Wrote: I have testet the Mac mini solution, but I didn't found a comfortable solution to control iTunes on NAS, WIMP, Spotify - plus I had to use the TV as Display, to small to control it from the sofa 3m away. How do you control your Mac mini ? I think the only solution is direct streaming with the iPad.

Hi midi,

The Mac Mini and the NAS are connected via ethernet to the router/switch. In iTunes, I set the iTunes Media folder location to point to my music folder on the NAS. There is no media server software running on the NAS, just a main folder and sub folders with the artists/albums.

I then install Apple's Remote app on an iPad to control the iTunes library on the Mac Mini. There is some lag but works pretty well and allows me to run the Mac Mini without having to connect a monitor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Ants
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
(21-Feb-2015, 00:05)Ants Wrote:
(20-Feb-2015, 18:35)midi Wrote: I have testet the Mac mini solution, but I didn't found a comfortable solution to control iTunes on NAS, WIMP, Spotify - plus I had to use the TV as Display, to small to control it from the sofa 3m away. How do you control your Mac mini ? I think the only solution is direct streaming with the iPad.

Hi midi,

The Mac Mini and the NAS are connected via ethernet to the router/switch. In iTunes, I set the iTunes Media folder location to point to my music folder on the NAS. There is no media server software running on the NAS, just a main folder and sub folders with the artists/albums.

I then install Apple's Remote app on an iPad to control the iTunes library on the Mac Mini. There is some lag but works pretty well and allows me to run the Mac Mini without having to connect a monitor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Ants

Yes, this is ok for running the iTunes library, but not helpful für listening Wimp or other streaming services. Therefore I have orderd a Dialog. Now I have read, that this is only able to play with the Devialet 120 in summer Angry . This is a joke !
(21-Feb-2015, 22:14)midi Wrote: Yes, this is ok for running the iTunes library, but not helpful für listening Wimp or other streaming services. Therefore I have orderd a Dialog. Now I have read, that this is only able to play with the Devialet 120 in summer  Angry . This is a joke !

OK. I see. Not sure about WIMP but I just connected a Apple TV to the Devialet via Toslink and use the Airplay function to send the streams from my iPhone and iPad to the Devialet. This is how I listen to Google Play. It should work with other streaming services.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
Second day of D120:

i have two connections: Toslink to D120 and AIR_ETH. Heard once the crackling, but increased Delay buffer settings 1000ms. no issues seen on AIR_ETH after that. however shifted to Tousling (optical) since last couple of hours, no issues here. This is my original options before D120 arrived.

My Connection: NAS  <- wired to Airport Express -> Wired D120 (ETH + Toslink) ; Use MacBook Air iTunes (Airplay for Toslink)

personally found no difference between them. However i would prefer - Touslink route because the Optical BW to handle data is way too higher than copper (ETH, USB etc) But in the end i m not convinced that USB/ETH/Optical - pick up any lowest BW of these, they are still very high than what is needed to our audio requirement. I could be dong some math wrong here but here is my take.

a good quality song for 5 mins is roughly file size of 50MB (.wav)?. means per sec the BW requirement is 50MB / (5x60) = 0.16BMPS (mega bits per second). Slowest USB-2 (can check exact protocol later?) can support ~ 2GBPS.  This is way too much higher than what is needed by our systems.

Did i miss anything here ? Key take away is there is no issues with USB (ordinary cable Vs expensive cable) Vs plastic Optical. there is something else with the various protocols working together ? straighten me out if i missed anything here. willing to checkout once again.

fun part : ... just realised (until someone called) i missed India Batting against SA world cup. shows how hocked i was on Devialet 120. can't get out of my seat Smile.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(22-Feb-2015, 08:54)Jnan_devi Wrote: Second day of D120:

i have two connections: Toslink to D120 and AIR_ETH. Heard once the crackling, but increased Delay buffer settings 1000ms. no issues seen on AIR_ETH after that. however shifted to Tousling (optical) since last couple of hours, no issues here. This is my original options before D120 arrived.

My Connection: NAS  <- wired to Airport Express -> Wired D120 (ETH + Toslink) ; Use MacBook Air iTunes (Airplay for Toslink)

personally found no difference between them. However i would prefer - Touslink route because the Optical BW to handle data is way too higher than copper (ETH, USB etc) But in the end i m not convinced that USB/ETH/Optical - pick up any lowest BW of these, they are still very high than what is needed to our audio requirement. I could be dong some math wrong here but here is my take.

a good quality song for 5 mins is roughly file size of 50MB (.wav)?. means per sec the BW requirement is 50MB / (5x60) = 0.16BMPS (mega bits per second). Slowest USB-2 (can check exact protocol later?) can support ~ 2GBPS.  This is way too much higher than what is needed by our systems.

Did i miss anything here ? Key take away is there is no issues with USB (ordinary cable Vs expensive cable) Vs plastic Optical. there is something else with the various protocols working together ? straighten me out if i missed anything here. willing to checkout once again.

fun part : ... just realised (until someone called) i missed India Batting against SA world cup. shows how hocked i was on Devialet 120. can't get out of my seat Smile.

I´m sorry to say, but my connections are

NAS <- wired (ETH) to Airport Extreme-> Wired (ETH) or WLAN to D120 ; Use MacBook/iPad direct via Devialet AIR; 1000 ms

1000 ms are not the solution for me- I have crackling noise with 1000 ms (EHT oder WLAN to D120)

Now I´m testing my Apple TV via Toslink and MacBook/iPad via AirPlay, but honestly this wasn´t the connection I wanted to use, as I bought the D120...
(22-Feb-2015, 19:11)midi Wrote: I´m sorry to say, but my connections are

NAS  <- wired (ETH) to Airport Extreme-> Wired (ETH) or WLAN to D120 ; Use MacBook/iPad direct via Devialet AIR; 1000 ms

1000 ms are not the solution for me- I have crackling noise with 1000 ms (EHT oder WLAN to D120)

Now I´m testing my Apple TV via Toslink and MacBook/iPad via AirPlay, but honestly this wasn´t the connection I wanted to use, as I bought the D120...

My room acoustics needs treatment (few months away) and Speaker Run-in/Burn-in is quite some time away, but what is the difference you observe between Toslink (AE / Apple TV ) to D120 Vs AIR_ETH in terms of quality (other than Crackling )

I keep trying both options. No crackling but quality wise did not find difference. Whats your take?

And there is bit-perfect enable/disable in the AIR settings. What are you using?

Regarding connection, you have A-extreme which is really good. However not tried the WLAN to D120. for now i wanna keep it wired (ETH) to AE until Speakers complete their Burn-In.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Now I have tested Wimp over Ipad (Wlan) to Apple TV via Toslink to Devialet 120.

This connection isn´t working without drop outs.

I can´t find a wireless connection without problems. But wireless is the most benefit.
I did some experiments.

hires audio files thru Devialet_ETH was better than Toslink. however on AIR "Bit perfect mode" enabled.

No drop observed. No i dead what ense to comment. the glitch could be from where you are sourcing your music data from and its location ? if its hires, then AE tied to Devialet + NAS + Optic. all sitting close proximity to Devialet.