Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
The review was very old one and has since many iterations of firmware updates. I enjoy the music even when I was playing it at -45dB. And what kind of support do you expect for Roon for Devialer? If you are expecting the amp to be RoonReady, there are none.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(24-Apr-2016, 21:28)hk6230 Wrote: The review was very old one and has since many iterations of firmware updates. I enjoy the music even when I was playing it at -45dB. And what kind of support do you expect for Roon for Devialer? If you are expecting the amp to be RoonReady, there are none.

hk6230  is quite right; as usual.

Devialet can't be bothered to support even their own software; they certainly won't entertain Roon in a hurry.

I would spend your money on something else. The sound quality is sublime, but the customer support is zero.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
This topic has been hashed over before. It is not a 'problem' particular to Devialet. And there is a loudness feature which you can set up in the configurator, and assign a button to. The contour boosts some frequencies, compensating in part for the way ears hear at different sound pressure levels.

The same principle was considered to be a part in the Audioquest cable controversy; the more expensive cables were apparently demonstrated at increasing volumes, albeit slight increases. The natural subjective reaction is that 'louder' is 'better'. 

Compared to my two previous Naim systems, the D120 is very good at low volumes. My ears, my music, my system, my setting. 

And lets not confuse the desire of some to have integration of Roon with a lack of customer support. Totally different issue.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(24-Apr-2016, 22:40)Damon Wrote: And there is a loudness feature which you can set up in the configurator, and assign a button to. The contour boosts some frequencies, compensating in part for the way ears hear at different sound pressure levels.

Are you talking ICM?  Not really the same thing as a stereotypical loudness button.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Totally agreed with Damon on Roon integration desirability and lack of support. Total different issue.

@Damon, cool avatar.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(24-Apr-2016, 21:48)Zappydev Wrote:
(24-Apr-2016, 21:28)hk6230 Wrote: The review was very old one and has since many iterations of firmware updates. I enjoy the music even when I was playing it at -45dB. And what kind of support do you expect for Roon for Devialer? If you are expecting the amp to be RoonReady, there are none.

hk6230  is quite right; as usual.

Devialet can't be bothered to support even their own software; they certainly won't entertain Roon in a hurry.

I would spend your money on something else. The sound quality is sublime, but the customer support is zero.

I'm quite happy with Devialet's support actually. Like most of you, I only wish AIR can be fixed once and for all, instead of us trying out tweaks to make it work.

Glad I'm not the only hearing the low volume problem. It's the digital volume control that's the culprit. This is not something you can fix with firmware updates.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Respectfully Duomike - why do you think its a digital volume control issue? I don't believe "bits" are being dropped on the floor when at lower volumes. It may be less impactful at lower volumes ( I have had other systems with the same phenomena ) but for altogether different reasons, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I know other amps have the same problem but for a different reason. Friend of mine got the amazing Kharma db 11 s speaker driven by a 750/4 ohmsSteve Mccormack amp. Sounds amazing at high volume levels but sounds collapses at lower volumes. Told him its a brute force amp. Guess this a problem with many high power ss amps.

Another friends got sashas driven by a 60 watt Zhesto tube amp. This amp sounds amazing even at whisper levels.

My previous amp,a tact millenium, converted pcm directly to pwm. Outputstage traditional class d which means it switches a constant voltage on and off. It has a very smart volume control. It reduces the voltage which is beeing switched! No loss of resolution even at mwatt levels. At low volumes it was better than the dev but at medium to high levels the dev is a bit better.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Pim, leaving the amp on since 2 days. Definetively sounds better, more musical and emotionally involving. Thanks for the tip! Not daring to leave my mini on 24/7. Its power supply got big heatsinks which get even hotter than the dev plus in this part of the world accasionally there are power cuts. Not good for a computer's hd i guess.