Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
I will do so at some time.. take the devialet over
The trios were being driven by valves.. a unison research monster
I had heard the duos in that room being driven by the top of the range Gryphon
My description in a mini review of the Trios was "Blitzkrieg..shock and awe"
Dynamics were amazing , but after 3 tracks of high volume "assault" .. I couldnt take it anymore
Would love that system for when I want to go on a musical roller coaster ride
Duos were much eaier on the ear

I am ALWAYS at minimum -6 on my d premier, often going into the plusses , room correction takes a -6db chunk
speakers are circa 91 db efficient and I play real loud
Also been fiddling with eq and RC since my sigtech days (mid 90's)
MiniDSP is my flavour right now
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Gryphon is a high power ss amp, exactly the wrong amp for horns. Buddy of mine had trios with bass horns once and initially he used big 350 watt tenor hybrid amps on them. First time i came to listen was blitzkrieg, volumes of more than 100 db. I knew why he was cranking like crazy. Amps sounded like shit on low volumes.

Not familiar with the union research amp but from  your descriptions it does not sound like flea power either. Anyway, very confident both guys will get a shock when you bring your dev over.  Last time i was in singapore i visited the avantgarde dealer. He had the latest omega duos set up in a very nice room driven by very expensive audio note gear. Listened for a while. Told him how much more resolved , musical involving and refined my duos sounded with my digital amp ( tact millenium) than his sytem. The guy was not happy. But it was an unfair comparison. Tweaked the heck out of my duos and his were totally stock.

With volumes of less than - 10 you do not need to worry about the negative effects of digital attentuation
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(26-Apr-2016, 08:03)Duomike Wrote: ...
Make sure to reduce the output to 30 watts and pay load enough so that volume will be below - 20. I think your buddies will get a surprise!

I'm repeating myself because I've posted this before a couple of times, possibly even earlier in this thread, but:

I asked Devialet some time ago whether changing the maximum output power affected gain or volume scaling, and they stated quite clearly that it did not.  In other words, it acts purely as a power limit; for a given input level, the output will be the same independent of the maximum power output configuration, until the power limit is reached.  (I haven't checked this for myself, I'm just repeating what Devialet told me in good faith and in the hope that it will avoid confusion.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
They will also tell you if you ask that that their volume control is totally transparent and that their amps will sound as good at low levels as at high ones.

Have not played around with the output settings myself as mentioned but other here have reported that when reducing the max output they have to increase the volume to get the same loudness. This is a very clear indication to me that they reduce the gain of their amps which in turn means less digital attentuation for a given volume. Sometimes you have to take manufacturer info with a grain of salt!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Also i guess the guys answering phones or reply emails are some marketing guys with probably a limited knowledge of all the high tech stuff going on inside the amps. They guys who do, the engineers etc, wont reply emails
(26-Apr-2016, 05:16)Duomike Wrote: Question, if I enable wifi in my phone and the dev and download the app will I be able to control the volume without using any router (dont have any and dont want one)??

This may work.
Enable the Wi-Fi Hotspot on your iPhone. Note the SSID and pass frase (password). Enter this in the Wi-Fi config of your amp (in Configurator). Make sure DHCP is enabled for the Wi-Fi card in Configurator (this is the default). The amp should now connect to the Wi-Fi network of your iPhone and the Devialet control app will hopefully find the your 200. Note: I have not tested this, but it should work...

To keep your Wi-Fi password private, i.e. not stored via internet to Devialet's servers, create a file called wifi_key.txt , write the password in the file (single first line - nothing else) Tick the 'Offline secure key' in Configurator. Copy the file to the SD card together with dp_cfg.txt.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Great idea ogs. Always wondered why two units with wifi need a router or a network to talk to each other. Both speak the same language so to speak. My understanding of this computer stuff, networking etc is very basic to say the least.
When wifi in my mini was still working i could control audirvana via wifi with my phone without any network!
Will try some day but not sure when since i will have a friend coming over from germany tonight and we will be busy touring some eastern parts of indonesia by motorbike
You probably had the Wi-Fi hot spot enabled when this worked with the mini, but blutooth can also work as network. Maybe SSID or password changed in the mean time. The SSID is by default the name you assign to your phone. If you have changed this.... Your iPhone acts as router and DHCP server when Wi-Fi hot spot is enabled.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Ad-hoc is also a possibility, but I have never used this. A good explanation is here: http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirel...reless.htm
Devialetless!
(26-Apr-2016, 09:16)thumb5 Wrote:
(26-Apr-2016, 08:03)Duomike Wrote: ...
Make sure to reduce the output to 30 watts and pay load enough so that volume will be below - 20. I think your buddies will get a surprise!

I'm repeating myself because I've posted this before a couple of times, possibly even earlier in this thread, but:

I asked Devialet some time ago whether changing the maximum output power affected gain or volume scaling, and they stated quite clearly that it did not.  In other words, it acts purely as a power limit; for a given input level, the output will be the same independent of the maximum power output configuration, until the power limit is reached.  (I haven't checked this for myself, I'm just repeating what Devialet told me in good faith and in the hope that it will avoid confusion.)

This is precisely the same explanation Devialet's Mathieu Pernod gave me at a dealer event a while back.  This came form a conversation I was having regarding the optimum configurator settings in a D800 for a speaker rated 400W RMS max. (I had set to 400W, the dealer recommended setting to the full 800) Mathieu explained per the above, and went on to say that it would make no difference to sound quality, but setting to 400W would offer a degree of protection to the speakers in the event of me doing something stupid (it has been known) with the volume control.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12