Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
Thanks a lot for all the explanations, ogs!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
When reducing the max output power of course it will protect your speakers. The side effect is that for a given volume you will need less digital attentuation. They will say it makes no difference to the sound because they believe their digital volume control is perfect and totally transparent, like most here on this forum. So the 2 things, speaker protection and less digital attentuation do not contradict each other!
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
(26-Apr-2016, 14:01)Duomike Wrote: When reducing the max output power of course it will protect your speakers. The side effect is that for a given volume you will need less digital attentuation. They will say it makes no difference to the sound because they believe their digital volume control is perfect and totally transparent, like most here on this forum.  So the 2 things, speaker protection and less digital  attentuation do not contradict each other!

I'm lost in this thread so don't answer, if you have done this. Just set the max output power to some low volume and try it. Devialet's pronouncements aren't always correct. :-).
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(26-Apr-2016, 14:01)Duomike Wrote: When reducing the max output power of course it will protect your speakers. The side effect is that for a given volume you will need less digital attentuation. They will say it makes no difference to the sound because they believe their digital volume control is perfect and totally transparent, like most here on this forum.  So the 2 things, speaker protection and less digital  attentuation do not contradict each other!

With respect, I think you are conflating two different questions.  The first is a matter of objective, technical fact: does changing the maximum power output alter the gain of the amplifier?  Devialet say no, and I have no reason to disbelieve them.  But since you state "you will need less digital attenuation" I assume you've measured it and found that to be the case - is that right?  In any case I don't have a vested interest so I'm only asking for information.  The second is whether the digital volume control itself has an effect on sound quality, which is at least partly subjective.  I have no opinion on that, partly because I don't see how one can isolate it from other factors that (I expect) would have a larger effect.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I have just tested this on my 250. I usually have it configured to 180W. I made a new config file where the only difference is I adjusted the power to minimum, which is 30W.
I had to increase the volume setting by around 7 to 8 dB to measure the same SPL at the listening position.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks ogs, that's helpful to know.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Duomike has several "situations" in his system. First he is using different D-class amplifiers for powering the subs. I have been living with Duos and Unos for 15 years. They sound much better with speaker output connected to subwoofer than with line input. The subwoofers has to be precisely tuned in freq cut and in volume, which can't be done with his stereo d class amp d-sonics m3 800. And a 1k $ amplifier is questinable upgrade to original Avantgarde amplifier. As I see on google those amp can't be controled in a any way. For my taste that is the big shortcome and I will never do this "upgrade". Than again he is driving 16 OHMS !!!!! speaker with SS amplifier cut on 30W. 16 Ohms duo Omega is not upgrade... it is made to match transformer coupled tube amplifiers !!! Duomike has more other problems than digital resolution of volume control. Not to mention power and signal cable rampage. Just calculate how many watts You get from 30 W/6 Ohm driving the 16 Ohms!
And ofcourse, there is NO need to protect the Duos. His "problem" is his system spcific.
Regards, Hrky
Thats great ogs. Was thinking about doing exactly that but do not have spl meter so couldnt do it. This is my last post on this thread. I started it because i wanted to know whether others have also observed that sq drops at low volume levels. Most did not hear a difference, a few did. End of story.
You can download an ok SPL meter on your smart phone Mike. Most have a max SPL memory so any music will do.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes, I used the 'Decibels' app on an iPod to check levels. And of course the same track for testing.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB