Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 not very good sounding at low volume
Hrky,

I will try to set the output to max (200 watts) and see what happens. Tomorrow an audio buddy of mine is coming over from germany. He also got a 200. Its good to have another pair of ears.

May I ask which avantgarde speakers did you hear with which dev amp?

Believe you are aware that all avantgarde speakers are using powered woofers. Whatever amp you are using it wont drive the woofers. My bass amps are much better than the internal avantgarde bass amps.

Will report
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Jjo,
Glad to hear I'm not alone!! Just got my dev recently and have no experience with previous firmware versions.
Never listened at 40 or even lower. What i've found is that at 30 the sound is quite boring and it really comes alive at 20 or less. What you have done to lower the output power is the logical choice with high sensitive speakers. Anyway will try the full ouput setting. Guess than I will have to turn the volume down to 40 or less. Will report.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
@Duomike I also hear the effect of the volume control on my 250 (set at 180w in Configurator). I do not hear it as clearly as you describe as my speakers does not resolve like your Duos. In addition I use room correction which attenuates around 15dB. The result is that I generally listen at -20 to -10 where the digital volume behaves nicely. Speakers are around 90 dB/w/m. If I listen at -40 to -30 late at night I notice the loss of "life".
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Ogs, thanks for sharing your experience. Glad there are some more "believers" out the there and that I'm not alone.

Have to apologize, can not test the full output power settings. Simple reason. A few days ago the volume wheel on the devs remote stopped working. The 4 buttons work just fine. And yes, the batteries are new.

What I did is crank up the start up volume with the configurator to - 10 and enabled the volume control in Audirvana which allows up to 20 db attentuation only.
Totally forgot about this matter when saying I will do the full output power test today. Getting old I guess. Luckily my hearing still seems to be fine.
Duomike - do you have the Devialet on WIFI or ethernet so you could control volume from an iPhone/iPad using the Devialet application?

BTW - just to be clear, I don't doubt what you hear, I was just questioning whether it was related to "digital attenuation" as opposed to a different factor ( in the Devialet ).
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Baddog, thanks for the tip re to control volume with the dev app. I have only the usb input active and do not use any wifi or ethernet so far. Not a big fan of this wireless stuff. Seems quite unreliable to me. Cant get even a wifi connection between my iphone and my mac mini. Maybe something wrong with my mini
Question, if I enable wifi in my phone and the dev and download the app will I be able to control the volume without using any router (dont have any and dont want one)??
Hello Duomike - if you have wireless access at home, and can put both the iPhone and the Devialet on the wireless network you will be fine. Just put them on the same wireless network ( via settings on the iPhone and the configurator for the Devialet.

If yes you can stop here.

Just one question do you mean a router or a switch? Or another way to say it is how do you get wireless at home? Usually folks have a cable modem or FIOS or something similar that provide Internet access and creates a wireless network at home ( either built into the cable modem or FIOS box or with a router such as a Apple Extreme, etc attached )
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Baddog, dont have any network in my house and use mainly my iphone for browsing etc. when downloading music i connect my iphone with a cable to the mini and use the phone as a hotspot. Initially i was able to get a direct wifi connection between my mini and phone and used the audirvana remote app without any network to control audirvana. After i couldnt get any connection between phone and mini i bought a screen for the mini and use my trackpad as a remote.

So my question remains, can i use my phone with app to directly control the dev without any network, router??
In June i will be travelling to hamburg where i bought the dev and hopefully get a new remote from the dealer. Until then i can love with the audirvana volume control hsing my trackpad if i cant get the remote app to work
You have to have wireless to use the Cell ap for volume ..ie a router
Duo .. have you ever tried Roon and Tidal .. a must get if you do wireless

I have a few pals with duos and 1 with trios and basshorns... most of them use realively flea powered valve amps to drive the speakers..surprised you bought the devialet..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(26-Apr-2016, 06:57)Rodney Gold Wrote: You have to have wireless to use the Cell ap for volume ..ie a router
Duo .. have you ever tried Roon and Tidal .. a must get if you do wireless

I have a few pals with duos and 1 with trios and basshorns... most of them use realively flea powered valve amps to drive the speakers..surprised you bought the devialet..
rodney, thanks for the info re the wireless stuff. No intention to use tidal or similar in the future. I pay around 70 cents per gb i download. Makes much more sense to download the music i want and pay only one time instead of everytime i listen! Besides my internet connection sometimes is very slow.

My previous amp,a tact millenium, is a one box solution like the dev and sounded great into the horns even at low volume (no digital volume control). In fact i had a guy over once to my place who was driving his duos with a flea power amp. He commented how much better my system sounded than his.

Before I bought the dev i was concerned about the digital volume feature. Playing with digital amp and room correction since '99 i'm aware of the negative effects of digital filters, digital attentuation and digital tone control.
I asked here in this forum about the sound at low volume level and everybody said dont worry, dev is perfect etc. this thread is the prove!

Anyway, now i got the amp and I'm happy with it as long as i crank it enough.

Love the sound of tubes. Would like to hear lamm set on my horns but i think i would have to spent at least 50k to get anywere near the sound of the dev at high volumes. Also do not want to tweak 3-4 pieces of gear with cables, isolation platforms etc.

Why dont you take your dev to your avantgarde buddies someday. Make sure to reduce the output to 30 watts and pay load enough so that volume will be below - 20. I think your buddies will get a surprise!