Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darko did not care for the Devialet demo!
Sounds horrible:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/0...kii-audio/
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

LOL! I love Darko's take, ie; "Whilst I was there they played some robotic techno crap at very high levels. This produced obvious overdrive distortion and very boomy if low bass. It was so primitive an approach and so clearly aimed at the lowest common denominator... "

I laugh because two months ago I saw this same demonstration with same speakers and same (apparently) techno track at a Devialet demonstration here in Denver Colorado. I didn't last a grueling 10 minutes thinking I've never wanted ANY speaker badly enough to endure that!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Just to clarify, this was Srajan's write up (6 moons) for DAR wasn't it? Not JD's?
I believe it was Srajans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On closer review it appears you're right. WOW, didn't know Srajan had it in him! But still I wonder who exactly Devialet is going after demographic-wise with Phantom.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Sorry Srajan! Bless his heart.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I actually think the review is a little unfair. I have been to many hifi shows, and often I find kit that is interesting. However, it is quite rare to find the stuff I'm interested in playing music I actually like, or indeed is anyway representative of what I might listen to at home. This would not lead me to forming an automatic hatred or dismissal of the kit though. As a final point, I quite like a bit of robotic techno, I wonder what Devialet were actually playing?

This reminds me of an incident at the Bristol show this year, I was trying some fairly expensive headphones, and made the comment "that sounds @@@@dy awful", the rep on the stand asked if there was something wrong with the sound, my reply was "yes, it's Phill Collins". Each to his own I guess.
When I copy/pasted Srajan's quote, ie; "Whilst I was there they played some robotic techno crap at very high levels. This produced obvious overdrive distortion and very boomy if low bass. It was so primitive an approach and so clearly aimed at the lowest common denominator... " it was specifically related to the painfully offensive volume played and as Srajan specifically noted; the "very high levels/obvious overdrive distortion/boomy if low bass." I can't speak for Srajan but for me and at the demonstration I was attending anything/everything played would been "crap" at that volume in a concrete room with concrete floor and glass walls without so much as an area rug in the same zip code. My question of the demographic Devialet is catering to was rhetorical and related to volume and the flagrant overdriving of the speakers. We complain at finding music slightly flat, bloated, dry, bright or fatiguing but are supposed to embrace music that's downright painful or worse, harmful!?! Bottom line for me is I can tolerate most any music via any speaker at sensible dB's for extended periods. But all "music", if you want to label it thusly becomes "crap" just about the time speakers begin to reproduce something more akin to prop wash. Any speaker, EVERY speaker!
I totally understand your sentiment but perhaps quoting him or one of his observations might better serve your point? BTW I do love your analogy of an "altar to music" when describing traditional hifi componentry. That altar and its accompanying 24 cubic foot storage monolith is a huge contributing factor on why I jumped on board Devialet. It was fine in its day but that day has passed.
I only look at the lovely pictures on 6moons nowadays. What was written was usually ridiculous, so I gave up on it. There is quite a lot of complete bollox about hifi on t'internet but 6loons crowns it IME.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire