Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 440 Pro CI not sounding great...
Don’t you think the tubes in the output stage might be more relevant here than the DAC section being R2R? Without knowing another thing about it, let me take a guess: it has high measured distortion levels but nonetheless sounds euphonically “un-digital”.

https://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html
(10-Dec-2018, 23:43)JimSmith Wrote: @thumb5 I don't think what I am hearing is coloration. What I am hearing though is more information within the musical passages, a stretching if you may of the soundstage fabric revealing more instruments within the ensemble.  Yes when the music is not complex the instruments do sound more fuller and rounder which could be attributed to the power amplifier.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the notion that noise and/or distortion can result in apparent improvements to detail and soundstage; I've heard that anecdotally and there seems to be evidence for it (though I'd have to do some digging to remember where I saw that).  It's another example of the tension between accuracy and "sounding good".

Whatever the root cause of the difference, it's clear you like the sound so I hope you can capture it and incorporate it somehow into your system.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@JimSmith
I run a similar setup to yours: 440 Pro CI and Sonus faber Olympica ll. I experience sound that hangs between the speakers, out into the room and back past the rear wall. Jim, this is a long shot, but have you checked speaker phase in relation to each other? This might account for the sound being stuck to the wall behind each speaker.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Over the years I've listened to quite a few DAC/pre/amp combinations. My 440 Pro is without doubt the most musical I've owned. But I will say that I have occasionally been blown away by a system that has extraordinary clarity and detail. As you stated, details such as breathing, finger on strings, etc.. are more pronounced. But in my experience, such details, although present, are rarely noticed in a live performance and, I suspect, might hinder the overall enjoyment of a system in the long term as it might force a focus toward critical listening rather than just getting immersed in the music.

The ideal test would be to live exclusively with the R2R DAC solution for an extended period of time and then switch back to your Devialet. It might just reveal an aspect of listening enjoyment that you've been taking for granted. Then again, I've known a few audiophiles that absolutely love such detail and strive for that characteristic in their listening systems. Go with your gut!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
@mdconnelly Great advice! I have decided to keep the R2R DAC combo for an extended period of time. Hopefully soon Devialet is going to release their next firmware update, and when that happens I intend to switch. I am hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised.

@Axel Thanks for the suggestion I have checked the speaker connections and all is fine. I am not saying that the magic is gone, but it's kind of limited to a select few recordings.

I think Devialet is a very promising platform and I know that a lot of further software development is in the pipeline especially on the iOS platform. 2019 is going to be a really exciting year, looking forward to it.

I will keep everyone posted as and when the switch happens and my final thoughts. I know that I will have to decide on keeping only one setup, which one I am not sure. One major asset Devialet has is this website and the community sprit it garners.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
Jim, have you tried the new DAC into the Devialet line inputs? Apologies if I've missed it, I'd be interested in knowing how that worked out.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ka...distortion

This is an interesting article about using a special box to deliberately add distortion to taste, I find it fascinating and would love to try something line that, my guess is some recordings may well benifit, and others not at all.

PS not saying what is going on in your system is distortion driven, just it seems to fit.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I am not surprised you like the R2R DAC. One of the best (if not THE best) design here is totaldac. Available with both tube and solid state output stages. Very expensive due to extremely expensive resistors in the ladder chain. A Devialet with a DAC like this built-in is probably impossible due to place constraints, but it would most certainly sound good.
I think it is important to remember that the DAC Devialet is using works in a very optimised environment and probably sounds better here than in other designs using the same chip.
You may get some of the character of the Aqua La Scala through the ADC of the Devialet, but not all. Good luck in choosing!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Currently just enjoying listening to the R2R combo. @ogs you are right it is a fruitless exercise to try the Aqua La Scala through the ADC of the Dev. Either I will decide to completely move to the R2R setup or stick with the Dev. As I said in my earlier post I will wait for Devialet to release their upcoming Roon firmware before making any decisions.

@Soniclife Thanks for the link looks interesting. But I can assure you that the tubes in the La Scala don't make it sound smooth, creamy, rounded or warm. If it would have any of those attributes I would have returned it swiftly.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
(13-Dec-2018, 23:27)JimSmith Wrote:  @ogs you are right it is a fruitless exercise to try the Aqua La Scala through the ADC of the Dev. 

It might be fruitless for you Jim, but for us readers here it would be great if you could do it. Just for fun, I think I speak for most of us, we would love to know whether or not the Aqua's qualities remain through the D's analog input.

Just see the exercise as a Christmas present for us Chatters. Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes, please send us your feedback for their D’s analog input. Thanks.
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France