Poll: What speakers for best sound quality from the list
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Monitor audio platinum pl300 mk2
22.22%
2 22.22%
Dali epicon 6
11.11%
1 11.11%
Focal diablo utopia lll ( standmount)
66.67%
6 66.67%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 440 pro ci plus focal diablo utopia lll or daliepicon6,monitor audio pl300ll
Good evening.
I have a question as in the subject.
Ive grown enough to try some different speakers with my freshly acquired 440 pro.
I am very happy with the amp but wondered what better speakers could bring to the table so bought some monitor audio pl100 mk1 standmounts which to me sounds more clear,fast and in many aspects better than my virgo 5 floorstanders.
The only part lacking was in bass,slightly smaller soundstage and scale of the sound.

So my question is if you'll be looking at the above 3 speakers (16sq m room 4x4 m) which one would you choose ?

They all are very close in price with the focal diablo utopia the cheapest(slightly).
Few months warranty on epicons,might be similar with focal s but full 5 years manufacture warranty for monitor audio as they are ex demo.

The sound signature I am looking for is clear,crisp,fast dynamic with solid base and biggest possible soundstage.

I was originally sold on monitor audio pl300ll but found them huge in size and started worrying they will be to big for my room although a dealer said they should be ok.
Also thinking the monitor audio pl300ll would be my end game speakers.

Last option which going in my mind and was my original idea before buying 440 pro is as I have a chance to get another d-premier and upgrade two to 1000 pro ci which overall will cost me 3500£ more all together than my actual 440 pro .

Also worth pointing out that going the 1000 pro route I will get new 5 year warranty from devialet.

So from your point of view what's the best to choose in my position better speakers (which ones) and leave 440 pro or upgrade the amps to 1000 pro all together.

Will the amplifiers upgrade be significant and worth it?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Personally i'd expect the Focals to be comfortably the "best" of the three listed. However, in this price bracket, box size, and your sound preferences, I would strongly recommend auditioning the Magico A1. (Full disclosure - I am a great admirer of the A-series, having been a delighted owner of the A3, and now the A5).

But speakers are such a personal choice, and the way they interract with the room is critical.

As a rather left-field option - if you're happy with everything except deep bass and soundstaging, and the very thought of it isn't anathema, a well-integrated subwoofer could be the most cost-effective upgrade. A substantial increase in the image size is an indicator that the subwoofer is correctly adjusted.

However, in your position, I'm quite sure of one thing; I would spend the money on the speakers before the amp. I think that *any* expert can drive *any* speaker magnificently, and that once you've got to the happy position of having *any* expert, then the biggest improvements for the money are going to come from the speaker. And you don't have just *any* expert, you have dual-mono already!

Just my opinion from my experience. For a while I was listening to the Magico A5 on the end of a single D-Premier. Yes, the 1000 Pro is much better. But the biggest change came from the not-A5 to the A5, whilst keeping the amp constant.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
(18-Dec-2021, 12:12)devianet Wrote: Personally i'd expect the Focals to be comfortably the "best" of the three listed. However, in this price bracket, box size, and your sound preferences, I would strongly recommend auditioning the Magico A1. (Full disclosure - I am a great admirer of the A-series, having been a delighted owner of the A3, and now the A5).

But speakers are such a personal choice, and the way they interract with the room is critical.

As a rather left-field option - if you're happy with everything except deep bass and soundstaging, and the very thought of it isn't anathema, a well-integrated subwoofer could be the most cost-effective upgrade. A substantial increase in the image size is an indicator that the subwoofer is correctly adjusted.

However, in your position, I'm quite sure of one thing; I would spend the money on the speakers before the amp. I think that *any* expert can drive *any* speaker magnificently, and that once you've got to the happy position of having *any* expert, then the biggest improvements for the money are going to come from the speaker.  And you don't have just *any* expert, you have dual-mono already!

Just my opinion from my experience. For a while I was listening to the Magico A5 on the end of a single D-Premier. Yes, the 1000 Pro is much better. But the biggest change came from the not-A5 to the A5, whilst keeping the amp constant.

Thank you devianet.
So in your opinion leaving the 440pro and changing the speakers to focal diablo utopia will be the best option for me?
Your suggestion about magico speakers will be out of consideration I'm afraid as they are very expensive in UK and also quite rare.

I am surprised that so far no one recommended monitor audio platinum pl300 mk2 as I think they supposed to be the best overall from these three.

Also what really bother me is the difference between 440 pro and 1000 pro as I couldn't find to much info about it  anywhere.

How much better would the 1000 pro be if we just take amplifiers into consideration?

The difference in cost in my position won't be that big thats why I'm pushing the question.

As far I remember my original expert 200 vs expert 250 there was a HUGE sound quality difference between them with 250 being more like 50% better overall in my view.

Anyone had experience with the speakers in my subject please input your thoughts as this will be very valuable for me.

SO THE MAIN QUESTION WHICH I AM INTERESTED FIRST IS -HOW MUCH BETTER 1000 PRO WILL BE OVERALL??
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Apologies, I saw a current retail of £12k for the Diablos and assumed a price bracket from that.

I cannot help directly with the question of 440 vs 1000, having only ever heard the 440 briefly, 3 years before I acquired the 1000 Pro.

But I would point out that 200 vs 250 would be Gen 2 ("Expert") vs Gen 3 ("Expert Pro") and there is known to be a significant jump in SQ for Gen 3 over Gen 2 (new Magic Wire). Whereas a 440 vs 1000 comparison would be Gen 3 vs Gen 3.

However, there is quite a bit of 440 vs 1000 comparison buried in this forum, from around the time the 1000 Pro was released. From memory, some actually preferred the 440, but this was a minority view. Devialet's position has been stated as the two being electrically identical, but the 440 throttled slightly in software to avoid overheating due to the different (cheaper) casing.

Being of a scientific background, I should really be a 440 owner.
(18-Dec-2021, 13:00)devianet Wrote: Apologies, I saw a current retail of £12k for the Diablos and assumed a price bracket from that.

I cannot help directly with the question of 440 vs 1000, having only ever heard the 440 briefly, 3 years before I acquired the 1000 Pro.

But I would point out that 200 vs 250 would be Gen 2 ("Expert") vs Gen 3 ("Expert Pro") and there is known to be a significant jump in SQ for Gen 3 over Gen 2 (new Magic Wire). Whereas a 440 vs 1000 comparison would be Gen 3 vs Gen 3.

However, there is quite a bit of 440 vs 1000 comparison buried in this forum, from around the time the 1000 Pro was released. From memory, some actually preferred the 440, but this was a minority view. Devialet's position has been stated as the two being electrically identical, but the 440 throttled slightly in software to avoid overheating due to the different (cheaper) casing.

Being of a scientific background, I should really be a 440 owner.

The 200 vs 250 were both 2nd gen experts and none of them pro
Yes, quite right, I skipped Gen 2 entirely and am not too familiar with it. The 250 apparently came before the 250 Pro via a software uprating.

Then you have apparently heard the same effect that others also reported on this forum - a large sound quality difference between units which are supposedly electrically identical but having only a different box and a slight software difference to throttle output at very high listening levels.

Very interesting. But sorry to be of no help.
(18-Dec-2021, 12:12)devianet Wrote: ...
I think that *any* expert can drive *any* speaker magnificently, and that once you've got to the happy position of having *any* expert, then the biggest improvements for the money are going to come from the speaker.  And you don't have just *any* expert, you have dual-mono already!

Early this year i chose Dali Epicon 6 for D200. While the D200 will not explore 100% of Epicon 6's potential (according to the dealer) your 440pro should do so (i suppose).
I immediately liked it soundwise, also the elegance of the design (a matter of taste, of course). Apart from that it's not a size monster. I also had to take off the spikes and place it directly on the floor - the best sound i could get from it.

For the Devialet part: forget about SAM with these speakers! At least if using a non-pro and if you are listening (very, very) loud like me... it will ruin the sound, sorry.

I had a pair of both Epicon 6 and Epicon 8 at home and have to say the D200 cannot drive Epicon 8. The result is really poor ... and with SAM even poorer.
So i had to return the even more beautiful Epicon 8, as i was not willing to invest it's cost twice to get an appropriate amp, too.

(According to the dealer: Epicon 6 can sound very good and will hardly sound bad in any amp combination. Epicon 8 can sound very, very good, but will easily fail with an inappropriate amp).

Anyway, that's all my (older) ears can tell.
(20-Dec-2021, 14:29)Ecki Wrote:
(18-Dec-2021, 12:12)devianet Wrote: ...
I think that *any* expert can drive *any* speaker magnificently, and that once you've got to the happy position of having *any* expert, then the biggest improvements for the money are going to come from the speaker.  And you don't have just *any* expert, you have dual-mono already!

Early this year i chose Dali Epicon 6 for D200. While the D200 will not explore 100% of Epicon 6's potential (according to the dealer) your 440pro should do so (i suppose).
I immediately liked it soundwise, also the elegance of the design (a matter of taste, of course). Apart from that it's not a size monster. I also had to take off the spikes and place it directly on the floor - the best sound i could get from it.

For the Devialet part: forget about SAM with these speakers! At least if using a non-pro and if you are listening (very, very) loud like me... it will ruin the sound, sorry.

I had a pair of both Epicon 6 and Epicon 8 at home and have to say the D200 cannot drive Epicon 8. The result is really poor ... and with SAM even poorer.
So i had to return the even more beautiful Epicon 8, as i was not willing to invest it's cost twice to get an appropriate amp, too.

(According to the dealer: Epicon 6 can sound very good and will hardly sound bad in any amp combination. Epicon 8 can sound very, very good, but will easily fail with an inappropriate amp).

Anyway, that's all my (older) ears can tell.

Thanks.
Do you think the epicon 6 will be ok in 16 sq m room quite close to the back wall?
Sad 
Sorry, but apart from trying and testing by yourself, a competent dealer should be able to tell you.

All i can say is that Epicon 6 is an uncomplicated, very good sounding and very elegant speaker, that matches a Devialet amp.

My room most probably is far from being optimal and will NOT be optimized for listening needs.
I wanted to have daylight and space - it's our living room.
As an audiophile you would be shocked about the details...
(20-Dec-2021, 19:29)Ecki Wrote: Sorry, but apart from trying and testing by yourself, a competent dealer should be able to tell you.

All i can say is that Epicon 6 is an uncomplicated, very good sounding and very elegant speaker, that matches a Devialet amp.

My room most probably is far from being optimal and will NOT be optimized for listening needs.
I wanted to have daylight and space - it's our living room.
As an audiophile you would be shocked about the details...

So now the only dilemma I have is what speakers to choose between DALI EPICON 6 vs MONITOR AUDIO PLATINUM PL300 MK2.    (note that dali epicon is second hand from dealer might give couple months warranty -on the opposite monitor audio pl300 mk2 are ex demo with full manufacture warranty and are also cheaper 400 £)