Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet MAX temperature!
(30-Aug-2014, 21:25)Confused Wrote: Thinking about it, the last half an hour or so of listening happened to be with some quite bass heavy material, plus SAM is there making everything work that little bit harder. So probably quite normal. I kind of thought that the 800 would just be cruising! But it must have been working harder than I thought! Sounded rather splendid though, so clearly nothing untoward going on.

Later on tomorrow, I'll be listening to much of the same material back with the lonely 250, whilst today's listening is fresh in my mind. So will be interesting to check the temps with just the 250, as well as checking the SQ.

I've had thumping techno playing loud all evening with my Sophias which were less sensitive and the temperatures barely creeped into the 50s...

Perhaps the Blade has a steep impedance drop somewhere?

How did you find there 800 apart from that??

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The 800 sounded very, very, good indeed, I loved it! But when you listen and think too much it kind of messes with your mind a bit! I'm already trying to remember how just how good the 250 used to be exactly. Hence the plan to have another listen to the 800 tomorrow, then try a few songs back with the 250, then check the bank balance.

I suspect the Blades are not the easiest load out there, I didn't think they sounded that good when I tried with 170 last year, the 250 was a big step up, and many, many speakers work well with the 170/ 200.
(30-Aug-2014, 21:42)Confused Wrote: But when you listen and think too much it kind of messes with your mind a bit!

Tell me about it! I'm exhausted! Tongue

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I noticed today that everything runs about 4 deg cooler with SAM disabled. The Blades have 4 off 9" bass drivers per side, and these are fitted with voice coils suitably sized for a 15" driver, so add all this up with SAM, and it's possible to guess why everything is working so hard with bass heavy material. Switched back to the 250 this afternoon, played exactly the same music with SAM, and and made it just above 60 deg. A few tracks with SAM off, and back down to the mid 50 range.

Yesterday I really enjoyed listening to the 800, today I noticed some losses in almost all areas going back to the 250. Damn! Another annoying case of the more expensive stuff sounding better.
(31-Aug-2014, 16:45)Confused Wrote: I noticed today that everything runs about 4 deg cooler with SAM disabled.

The same in my system. 4 deg cooler with SAM disabled. With SAM on my 200 max is 50 deg.
Has anyone done any thermal mapping to find the hot spots on the case?

It also seems that raising the unit up on some accessory footers could improve cooling.
(02-Sep-2014, 06:44)mauidan Wrote: Has anyone done any thermal mapping to find the hot spots on the case?

It also seems that raising the unit up on some accessory footers could improve cooling.

I use simple footers for better air ventilation

[Image: IMG_6231sm_zpsb4d8f650.jpg]
I took delivery of my new "slave" last week, so I am new to the world of Devialet dual mono. One thing I noticed in the week is that when they have been in standby for some time, the slave is noticeably warmer to the touch than the master. Turning the two on this morning, the slave D amp temp was indeed 4deg higher than the master from start up. They have been running an hour now and the delta is still there, but now by only 2 degrees. Seems a little odd? Obviously the slave is new, my original D240(250) is about 10 months old. For the record, they are both running 7.1.1 (from the same sd card / file, so definitely identical) and they are on separate shelves on a hi fi rack (not stacked)

Any ideas? Or anyone noticed similar?

I'm tempted to send a query to Devialet, but their responses tend to be uninformative. (Usually the French equivalent of "don't worry love", as the English might say)
(13-Sep-2014, 09:38)Confused Wrote: I took delivery of my new "slave" last week, so I am new to the world of Devialet dual mono. One thing I noticed in the week is that when they have been in standby for some time, the slave is noticeably warmer to the touch than the master. Turning the two on this morning, the slave D amp temp was indeed 4deg higher than the master from start up. They have been running an hour now and the delta is still there, but now by only 2 degrees. Seems a little odd? Obviously the slave is new, my original D240(250) is about 10 months old. For the record, they are both running 7.1.1 (from the same sd card / file, so definitely identical) and they are on separate shelves on a hi fi rack (not stacked)

Any ideas? Or anyone noticed similar?

I'm tempted to send a query to Devialet, but their responses tend to be uninformative. (Usually the French equivalent of "don't worry love", as the English might say)

From Thierry at Devialet last year (8th October 2013) when I had exactly the same query:

"Note that the Slave will run a little hotter than the master in Stb-By. The reason is that the Slave in not in an as deep stand-by than the master to be ready for any command coming from the master unit."

The master is supposed to run a little hotter than the slave:

"Please bear in mind that the master is running a little hotter in operation than the Slave and should be placed on top."

I haven't really paid much attention to this lately but there is generally a difference in temperature between the units.

Once again - and I quote from the same email from Devialet:

"Temperatures going up to 65°C are absolutely OK."

Guillaume

UK
Guillaume - very interesting, thanks for the response! I have to say though, Devialet's response does not really make sense, surely the master is also in standby ready for a command from the remote control, i.e. to be powered up, I can't really see that the situation for the slave should be any different. Perhaps they are optimised to be slacked? That is, heat from a slightly warmer slave rises to equalise temperature with the master. (my unstacked master is still 2 deg cooler than the slave). Although for me, I have got near enough to that 65 degree figure to be happy to keep the two on separate shelves!