Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet, Roon and Tidal
Ok by some miracle Roon is up and running on my 200.
My music library on the Melco is not there though, but lots of other stuff that I dont recognise .
Off to read the Roon help guides etc =-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Shocked 
Come on you knew there would be questions Big Grin
Anyway I set Roon up and straight away I can see the appeal. A great user experience. Its actually a bit of a Wow moment isnt it.
So far no dropouts or issues. A couple of issues though if I am to keep this I need it to find my music on the Melco. I have got as far as the add network bit, but no idea what address to add in. Looked on the Roon help guide and that didnt help me either.

Second question if I decide to keep Roon it is recommended to have an ethernet connection. I have no ports left so would it be ok to take the ethernet cable from the Melco and just use that with the Devialet. I am assuming this would be ok as the Melco library would be picked up from Roon..............thats if I can get this sorted of course Smile

However i still have a doubt about adding the PC back into the chain, as that was the whole point of getting the Melco and again my first impressions are that the SQ just doesnt quite match the Melco, although I will have to do a little more listening.

Roon is gorgeous though , it really is and the Artist info is brilliant .
Any help guys again greatly appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Well after a great deal of research I have sorted how to get my library on. Actually if I just used the Roon help prompts it would have been quicker. Hey its a learning curve Wink

I assume its going to take a while as I have a pretty large collection.

The Roon interface is gorgeous and i can see why its is popular.

If I decide to keep Roon it is recommended to have an ethernet connection. I have no ports left so would it be ok to take the ethernet cable from the Melco and just use that with the Devialet. I am assuming this would be ok as the Melco library would be picked up from Roon
As long as the melco is still on your network it should be fine.

Do you have the melco library backed up somewhere you could use in Roon?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
The Melco is backed up on the Melco as it’s set up as a mirror HD. I also have it backed up to a my passport HD

You say to use in Roon? It’s already in Roon from the MELCO

Roon is a lovely piece of software
OK I have switched the Ethernet cable over to the Devialet as Roon say this is preferable and of course the Melco has disappeared from my Network. When I think about this logically of course this would happen.
So I guess if I go with this set up I will have to buy another Ethernet cable for the Melco.

When using Roon over wifi last night there were no dropouts but there was the occasional stutter, it happended maybe two or three times in the course of 6 or 7 hours so no big deal really.

I have also reverted the Melco back to a previous firmware and this made no difference , the issues are still there.

I will see how things turn out as I originally bought the Melco to get the laptop out of the chain. Now i am doing a bit of a U turn I guess. Also I actually think the playback via the Melco just has a but better SQ, the bass is definitely better to my ears. I guess i should not be that surprised at this as the Melco did bring improvements over Air when I think back as I was pleasantly surprised at the time......its sold as being a HD optimised for music playback after all

Roon is excellent though and I think it could be one of those bloody things you cant give up once you have had it
(22-Feb-2018, 09:35)Womaz Wrote: I will see how things turn out as I originally bought the Melco to get the laptop out of the chain. Now i am doing a bit of a U turn I guess. Also I actually think the playback via the Melco just has a but better SQ, the bass is definitely better to my ears. I guess i should not be that surprised at this as the Melco did bring improvements over Air when I think back as I was pleasantly surprised at the time......its sold as being a HD optimised for music playback after all

Roon is excellent though and I think it could be one of those bloody things you cant give up once you have had it

Ah, that old age conundrum of sound quality or convenience.

Vinyl or CD?
Analogue or digital?
Tea leaves or teabags?!!!

Well, here is something else to consider and I apologise now for any inaccuracy as I do not use Roon.

Roon enables the use of DSP for tailoring your sound.  It can raise or lower bass and or treble or any frequency if desired.  It can also be used as a form of room correction.
Roon also has the ability to upsample which some people profess to improving SQ.

I believe HQP player can also work with Roon, and this software is also reported as a improver of SQ.

And finally, Roon can run on very small form, ultra quiet PCs (eg. Sonore rendu) in a headless mode (I.e. without need of a UI/screen) with control via the Roon remote app on an IOS device.  It can even run on powerful NASs.

So you could have Roon and SQ.

Oh, and the Melco could go some way to financing the change of hardware/software. Angel
(22-Feb-2018, 14:16)alandbush Wrote:
(22-Feb-2018, 09:35)Womaz Wrote: I will see how things turn out as I originally bought the Melco to get the laptop out of the chain. Now i am doing a bit of a U turn I guess. Also I actually think the playback via the Melco just has a but better SQ, the bass is definitely better to my ears. I guess i should not be that surprised at this as the Melco did bring improvements over Air when I think back as I was pleasantly surprised at the time......its sold as being a HD optimised for music playback after all

Ah, that old age conundrum of sound quality or convenience.

Vinyl or CD?
Analogue or digital?
Tea leaves or teabags?!!!

Well, here is something else to consider and I apologise now for any inaccuracy as I do not use Roon.

Roon enables the use of DSP for tailoring your sound.  It can raise or lower bass and or treble or any frequency if desired.  It can also be used as a form of room correction.
Roon also has the ability to upsample which some people profess to improving SQ.

I believe HQP player can also work with Roon, and this software is also reported as a improver of SQ.

And finally, Roon can run on very small form, ultra quiet PCs (eg. Sonore rendu) in a headless mode (I.e. without need of a UI/screen) with control via the Roon remote app on an IOS device.  It can even run on powerful NASs.

So you could have Roon and SQ.

Oh, and the Melco could go some way to financing the change of hardware/software.  Angel

A great post thank you. I was looking at the settings for the sound but did not want to make any changes until I make a decison to keep it.
My first impressions are very favourable and consideirng how much I have spent on my Hifi Roon is relatively cheap.
My main concern I guess is I am a Tidal user now and will it always be available with Roon? Probably a chance worth taking.

As for Melco well some chance they will help. I seem to have a habit of buying products that dont deliver what they promise to Smile
Slightly tongue in cheek as The Melco has worked great I was just misled about the app.
Tidal may not always continue to be available, see latest below. It was the management of this Tidal streaming content that had attracted me to Roon (which I loved!) as I don't have a large personal library of Hi-Res content of my own. Without Tidal, Roon would thus be of little use to me, and any playlists that I would have invested in would be for nought. So I am on Spotify Connect which works directly with the Devialet from the router, waiting for hopefully lossless service in the near future.

https://www.thewrap.com/jay-zs-tidal-hit...jump-ship/
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
(24-Feb-2018, 06:52)Rocketmannequin Wrote: Tidal may not always continue to be available, see latest below.

Latest? Isn't this news from 2015 ("Last Updated: August 4, 2015 @ 5:58 PM") Smile

There aren't many streaming services that would make profit today. Spotify did $581 million loss in 2017, where as Tidal did "only" $44 million loss...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland