Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Devialet's newest technology...?
(17-Nov-2014, 23:20)PhilP Wrote: A single source for Qobuz, TIDAL (WiMP), DSD, iRadio and FLAC/WAV/AIFF controlled by a single control app (including volume) would be great.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. An Auralic Aries or Bryston BDP-2 integrated into the Devialet.
(17-Nov-2014, 23:14)DJ 04 Wrote:
(17-Nov-2014, 21:50)Ekmanc Wrote: Heard it from Thierry, it didn't sound like something they would even consider.

Interesting. Devialet had a job posting that included DLNA development in the job description. I wonder if they tried it and were not happy with the sonic results.

I would settle for Air on a NAS and an app to control it. I just want to get rid of the computer and use a single app to control the entire experience.

The job posting is still there on the French part of their site: http://fr.devialet.com/jobs/developpeur-...ert-cc-hf/

Don't know about the French salaries but a 40-50k salary isn't going to get you a really good, experienced developer here in Holland.

Quote:Description du poste

Vous serez en charge de poursuivre le développement d'un système faible latence de streaming audio:

ajout de nouvelles sources de contenu (streaming provenant i-devices, NAS, UPnP/DLNA, ...)
adaptation permanente du système aux évolutions du protocole de communication (streamer Wifi, ...) et aux évolutions de l’API de contrôle, ...

En interaction forte avec les équipes app (applications mobile), design (interface utilisateur) et hardware, votre capacité à travailler en équipe est un atout indispensable.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Nov-2014, 00:05)DJ 04 Wrote:
(17-Nov-2014, 23:20)PhilP Wrote: A single source for Qobuz, TIDAL (WiMP), DSD, iRadio and FLAC/WAV/AIFF controlled by a single control app (including volume) would be great.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. An Auralic Aries or Bryston BDP-2 integrated into the Devialet.

Yes a single source but even better than Aries or BDP-2!
I'm happy with the way I listen to music (vinyl, CD occasionally, TV, and air streaming). I'm not especially worried about new functionality - I'd prefer the new developments to be improvements in sound quality. A power upgrade would be handy, or maybe a software upgrade to the dsp perhaps...
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(18-Nov-2014, 08:03)ozthepoz Wrote: I'm happy with the way I listen to music (vinyl, CD occasionally, TV, and air streaming). I'm not especially worried about new functionality - I'd prefer the new developments to be improvements in sound quality. A power upgrade would be handy, or maybe a software upgrade to the dsp perhaps...

I am a bit like you and a bit opposite, too.
I listen mainly to CD and LP with some streaming of pop music and some classical rips made years ago when I was travelling a lot and having my music on a portable player was important.
Now I am a grumpy retired old man I find the tedium of trying to get helpfully tagged classical music onto a streaming solution not worth the faff so I have given up on adding any new stuff to my streaming solution.

OTOH I consider the Devialet amplifier to be transparent and loudspeaker load tolerant so I would not expect any sound quality changes of much consequence, personally, unless some colouration transfer functions were added to the DSP. I have a couple of Metric Halo recorders and their software includes loads of reverbs, soft limiters and emulations of valve (tube) amps and microphone preamps, for example.
It would be cool if Devialet calculated the transfer function for a few of the more popular characterful amps and made them available on the configurator like SAM. OTOH I am not sure if they can emulate the effect of the high output impedance most of them have, and which must cause quite a proportion of their characteristic sound.
Anyway an Ongaku or Dartzeel button would be cool, IMHO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Nov-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 08:03)ozthepoz Wrote: I'm happy with the way I listen to music (vinyl, CD occasionally, TV, and air streaming). I'm not especially worried about new functionality - I'd prefer the new developments to be improvements in sound quality. A power upgrade would be handy, or maybe a software upgrade to the dsp perhaps...

I am a bit like you and a bit opposite, too.
I listen mainly to CD and LP with some streaming of pop music and some classical rips made years ago when I was travelling a lot and having my music on a portable player was important.
Now I am a grumpy retired old man I find the tedium of trying to get helpfully tagged classical music onto a streaming solution not worth the faff so I have given up on adding any new stuff to my streaming solution.

OTOH I consider the Devialet amplifier to be transparent and loudspeaker load tolerant so I would not expect any sound quality changes of much consequence, personally, unless some colouration transfer functions were added to the DSP. I have a couple of Metric Halo recorders and their software includes loads of reverbs, soft limiters and emulations of valve (tube) amps and microphone preamps, for example.
It would be cool if Devialet calculated the transfer function for a few of the more popular characterful amps and made them available on the configurator like SAM. OTOH I am not sure if they can emulate the effect of the high output impedance most of them have, and which must cause quite a proportion of their characteristic sound.

I'm sure they could add "effects" to the DSP, but it kind of goes against their philosophy. Interesting idea though.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
maybe a SAM 2 with updated correction algorithms. They have measured the speakers, so they could correct for higher frequencies maybe. 500Hz instead of 150...
Room correction for below 150Hz.

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
(18-Nov-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: It would be cool if Devialet calculated the transfer function for a few of the more popular characterful amps and made them available on the configurator like SAM. OTOH I am not sure if they can emulate the effect of the high output impedance most of them have, and which must cause quite a proportion of their characteristic sound.

An excellent idea! If Devialet can do this then maybe other amp manufacturers will have to legally protect the 'sound' of their products in the same way that Harley Davidson have registered a trademark for their 'potato, potato, potato' sound Smile

Sound of Hogs

What would be even more cool would be to copy the colourful sounds of the best turntable/arm/cartridge combinations so that when you feed in the sound of say a Rega then out comes the sound of a Linn LP12 or if you want a cartridge upgrade then just download a new profile rather than physically changing the cartridge. The possibilities are endless Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(18-Nov-2014, 15:00)PhilP Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: It would be cool if Devialet calculated the transfer function for a few of the more popular characterful amps and made them available on the configurator like SAM. OTOH I am not sure if they can emulate the effect of the high output impedance most of them have, and which must cause quite a proportion of their characteristic sound.

An excellent idea! If Devialet can do this then maybe other amp manufacturers will have to legally protect the 'sound' of their products in the same way that Harley Davidson have registered a trademark for their 'potato, potato, potato' sound Smile

Sound of Hogs

What would be even more cool would be to copy the colourful sounds of the best turntable/arm/cartridge combinations so that when you feed in the sound of say a Rega then out comes the sound of a Linn LP12 or if you want a cartridge upgrade then just download a new profile rather than physically changing the cartridge. The possibilities are endless Wink

I think it would be difficult to make a Rega sound like an LP12 because that would require the removal of the Rega character, but making a CD sound like a LP12 would probably be fairly straightforward if there is enough DSP.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire