Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet state ‘no further development’ for ‘classic’ (pre Pro CI) Expert line.
The newly appointed Devialet Expert team made the following statement at the Oxford Audio event last week:

There will be no further development for the Expert line other than for Core Infinity based Expert Pros.

That is, no further firmware or feature updates for even one generation back, despite it being sold as a product that would evolve with twice yearly updates. Also tallies with Quentin Sanniés comments in the CI factory tour video, where he stated that it was too expensive for them to develop for two platforms, hence the move to CI, to put the Experts on the same platform as Phantoms. So much for the EVO platform and the ‘no planned obsolescence’ mantra sold with all Experts.

Feel bad for Non-Pro Experts or D premier owners. Those that can afford it and want to stick with Devialet and want new features would be advised to upgrade when the program reopens. Might even be worth it for resale.

I’m sure some people will chime in with the old line of ‘the amplifiers still work and sound as great as they did when they were sold’. But that’s not really the point.

I’ve already posted this in another topic, but felt it was fair to put the info in its own post for the benefit of all Expert (and D-Prem) owners.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

At some point any manufacturer has to make the decision not to develop older systems. It just makes business sense. The important thing is the commitment to SUPPORT older systems. There are a few audio companies that still support very old systems. It may cost you but the product is still supported.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
It might be desirable to declare by Devialet how many years will software development be conducted for a product. In example “at least 3 years after end of product’s sale”. It will be clear message for customers what to expect and demand from Devialet.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(15-Jul-2018, 13:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: The newly appointed Devialet Expert team made the following statement at the Oxford Audio event last week:

There will be no further development for the Expert line other than for Core Infinity based Expert Pros.

That is, no further firmware or feature updates for even one generation back, despite it being sold as a product that would evolve with twice yearly updates. Also tallies with Quentin Sanniés comments in the CI factory tour video, where he stated that it was too expensive for them to develop for two platforms, hence the move to CI, to put the Experts on the same platform as Phantoms. So much for the EVO platform and the ‘no planned obsolescence’ mantra sold with all Experts.

Feel bad for Non-Pro Experts or D premier owners. Those that can afford it and want to stick with Devialet and want new features would be advised to upgrade when the program reopens. Might even be worth it for resale.

I’m sure some people will chime in with the old line of ‘the amplifiers still work and sound as great as they did when they were sold’. But that’s not really the point.

I’ve already posted this in another topic, but felt it was fair to put the info in its own post for the benefit of all Expert (and D-Prem) owners.
A long-time member of the Devialet team that I know recently told me that when the upgrade program reopens, one might not have to send it to France.  He said that is still being discussed.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Not really surprised. It's been a year or so since the last firmware update (IIRC) and that was hardly earth shattering. Once the CI development was announced I could see where the wind was blowing. At least they haven't given HiFi up completely while trying to be the new Apple.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
It's not totally surprising, but I think it would have been common courtesy to have released said statement during the last upgrade program. Perhaps then I would have made the choice to upgrade. I do hope the upgrade program will indeed reopen (and I'll be able to afford the upgrade...)
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
It is disappointing but for now, I am sticking with my Expert and AURALiC Mini for streaming.
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
No surprise and its expected. They are in a business and have to generate revenue to take care of their owners/customers/employees. We deal with hardware/software vendors who support legacy products but, the new features are available only after the upgrade. I have routinely changed my HT processor every 3 years because the new features would only be available on the newer platform.
I think its great that Devialet provided us an option to upgrade our existing hardware. They even gave discount for the people who had bought the amp within last 12 months. There was also an option to upgrade 120 to 220pro without an extra charge. I don't know of any other amp/integrated manufacturer that does that.
Although I do agree that the upgrade cost was a little steep. Many folks including me, just sold their older hardware and got a new one. So, I wish the pricing was a little lower.
If I feel very strongly about Devialet not providing the service, I would just sell the thing off and then switch to the next manufacturer who provides new features on their legacy platform. Unfortunately, I'll have a hard time finding one.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I avoid buying into vaporware from anyone, learnt that the hard way a long time ago.
If it's not worth the money when you are buying it don't buy it, if it gets better later on that's a bonus.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Last night I tried to make a new configuration file for my D200. There were some 10 unsuccessfuly attempts. Messages at D200 display were: sd card error, contact D support, bad conf file...
Luckily a had an old config file at my PC and whan I inserted sd card at D200 everythig went well.
Devialet may leave Expert owners without “no further development” but Devialet Configurator must be operative.
Melco N1A, Valhalla Pow.C.-FTA usb,-D200,Chord Sarum Super Aray Pow.C.-Chord Sarum T Speaker C.(Nordost Frey2)-Harbeth 40.2, (Magnepan 3.7).