Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet with waterfall niagara part of surround set
thanks Markush for the info. is there any article you could paste here to support that ? (i personally have tremendous difficulties to find anything related with the vrms info, looks like it quite specific and not much looked for)

Meanwhile, i'll give it another try asap Smile
Devialet Expert 250 Pro | Waterfall Niagara Platinum (stereo setup and Home Theater front)
Marantz sr7011 (Home Theater) : Klipsch rp440 (center), Waterfall Elora Evo (rear)
Subwoofer (stereo and home theater) : BK XXLS400
Hello all

As a Devialet and Forum beginner and a similar configuration to the topic starter Wills1831 and similar questions, I would like to join here , if it is allowed.
I recently started running an Expert 220 Pro CI along with a Denon AVC. All my audio/video equipment is (still) hooked up to the Denon.
New I run the front speakers on the Devialet (SAM), connected from Pre Out Front of the Denon to Line 1 on the Devialet. There is also a trigger cable from the Denon to the Devi to switch on the Devi.
In generall everything worked very well. I had trouble too with the volume level setting of the front speakers with the surround speakers. The front speakers were very low.
It worked best when I set the volume level of the front speakers in the Denon to max (+12) and in the Devialet for Line 1 Pass thru -10 dB and Speaker Relative Level to 0 dB.
Line Setting Vrms=2 I did not touch because I do not know what I am doing here.
Question:
Is the value Vrms = 2 ok? What happens if I change this value?
My Sonus Faber are 4 ohm speakers. Is there anything special I need to do?

Thank you and feedback is welcome
Simi
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI | Denon AVC X6500h | Oppo-203 | Cambridge CXN v2 
Sonus Faber Cremona M (front) | Canton Vento 856 (center) | Canton Vento 870 (rear) | Canton Vento 850sc (sub)
Anti-Mode 8033 cinema | TP-Link TL-SG2008P | Isotek EVO3
next to come: Roon on a Prime Mini 5
Zurich Switzerland
It seems like the pre-out on the Denon is giving a low signal. The Owners Manual does not say anything about the level here.
To adjust, first disable Audyssey, then find a suitable level for front L&R relative to the other speakers. The Vrms value is related to Denon's max pre out signal level. Setting this value lower than 2 is not dangerous, you only risk overloading the Line in on the Dev. You'll hear it as distortion if/when the Denon in turned up to play very loud (more than 1 to 2 o'clock is my guess). It might be better to set the Devialet to 0 dB and use less gain on the Denon, but what sounds best here IS best....
Re-run Audyssey calibration to fine tune the multichannel setup afterwards.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks for your answer about Vrems. I will leave it that way.

When I turn up the Line Settings Path thru  to 0 dB on the Devi I have a very quiet noise over the Denon pre outs. No matter what source I choose on the Denon or how high or low the volume is on. As soon as the Denon is off, noise is gone.
Maybe I can turn the Devi up a bit to -8 or -6 dB. I have to try. For movies, the noise hardly bothers and for music I want to use Roon in the future and do not need the Denon up and running.
Audyssey settings I did at the very end.

Do you have an idea with the speakers settings to play with 4 ohm? At the Denon this had to be set. I hope the Devialet does that automatically somehow, by SAM or so.

Greetings
Simi
Sonus Faber Cremona M (front) | Canton Vento 856 (center) | Canton Vento 870 (rear) | Canton Vento 850sc (sub)
Zurich Switzerland
There is no setting for speaker impedance in the Devialet. I suppose your Denon uses this to set some working conditions for the (class D) power amps, like filtering or other. SAM is very beneficial so use it if you can...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Indeed.
To share my experience. I've finally put it back on 2vrms (standard value). And the passtru set with value 7db.
Rerunning audissey will improve indeed.

All that, said my front have a 89db sensitivity, while my center is completely way off with 97db which outblance the system a bit. Not perfect but it's good already for the 5.1 config. And i personally should rerererun audissey again for a more accurate setting. Atm i care about stereo music more than 5.1 movie Smile

Yours have 91db, which is a bit more sensible, so you should have a lower setting than me i guess?

Fyi : i've found out that changing the vrms setting can be done live on the devialet while playing, so if you care to see what it does, you can gradually change it there
Devialet Expert 250 Pro | Waterfall Niagara Platinum (stereo setup and Home Theater front)
Marantz sr7011 (Home Theater) : Klipsch rp440 (center), Waterfall Elora Evo (rear)
Subwoofer (stereo and home theater) : BK XXLS400
I have a 220PROCI connected to front channel output of Denon AVR 3400H (200W). I find that the channel level balance with my rear speakers is fine. When I had a D120, I had to apply +3dB on the Passthru to balance the volume levels.
I only ever adjust the VRMS of my preout/subwoofer output.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(14-Jan-2022, 13:29)JohnnySix Wrote: I have a 220PROCI connected to front channel output of Denon AVR 3400H (200W). I find that the channel level balance with my rear speakers is fine. When I had a D120, I had to apply +3dB on the Passthru to balance the volume levels.
I only ever adjust the VRMS of my preout/subwoofer output.

Really? No change on the Devi 220 to match volume for center and rear on the denon side? What are your level setting on the Denon?
I try to attach some Printscreens
Devi_Speaker_Settings Relative level = 0
Devi_Line_Settings Pass thru = -10
Devon_Level_Settings Front = +12

If I go up at Devi_Line_Settings Pass thru to -5 or even 0, result is a permanent, very quiet but audible noise on the fronts, as soon as the Denon powerd up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Zurich Switzerland