Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital input via ethernet
Here is a question which exposes how little experience I have with the Phantom/Reactor line.  
If one has a Roon Nucleus can it connect to a stereo pair of reactors by ethernet and serve the music?
Does the Ethernet input of the reactor accept a digital stream and, if so, do the two reactors need to be wired together to operate as a stereo pair.  How are they communicating?
I want to avoid Bluetooth and apple protocols are they are, as I understand, limited in the resolution they can accept as I have a reasonably large 24/192 file sized library.
Many thanks for any comments.
In short, no. Only when Phantoms have RAAT at some point can you do that. The ethernet input of Phantoms/Reactor can of course take a digital stream, but mostly as UPnP which Roon does not support. Link between Phantoms goes via Dialog and for Reactors in stereo any of wifi, ethernet or PLC (if I have understood this correctly). Bluetooth is a lossy protocol. AirPlay is lossless, but forces resampling to 48kHz (again - if I'm right) so is not ideal.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(11-Apr-2019, 23:40)ogs Wrote: In short, no. Only when Phantoms have RAAT at some point can you do that. The ethernet input of Phantoms/Reactor can of course take a digital stream, but mostly as UPnP which Roon does not support. Link between Phantoms goes via Dialog and for Reactors in stereo any of wifi, ethernet or PLC (if I have understood this correctly). Bluetooth is a lossy protocol. AirPlay is lossless, but forces resampling to 48kHz (again - if I'm right) so is not ideal.

Thanks for this but still the dummy I started with.  My Roon Rock could “speak” to the Devialet via ethernet before the latest software/firmware so hadn’t needed RAAT to serve to the Dev. so wondering if the Reactor can do the same....still uncertain how these two pieces connect if trying to insure the highest level of fidelity....wifi? ...or are these two just the JayZ/Beyonce of stereo products...lots of slightly irritating biggie bass and treble energy?
Thanks
Yes, with Expert amps Roon has supported Devialet's Air streaming for quite some time. This will work before and after the CI upgrade. Roon RAAT is also now supported on CI upgraded Experts.
Phantoms including Reactor does not support any of this unfortunately. See this thread: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantoms-Roon-ready
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB