Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Direct Optical mode - How to
(23-Sep-2020, 14:38)ofrappier Wrote:
(26-Dec-2019, 00:35)ragwo Wrote:
(25-Dec-2019, 23:03)alexis0587 Wrote: Hello All,
Is the process the same for DOS2 than DOS1 to put Phantom in Direct mode ?
This mode works well for me in DOS1 and I reflex the pro and cons to upgrade to DOS2.
Thanks
At the moment direct optical mode doesn't work in DOS2. If you rely on it you shouldn't upgrade.

???

see at Devialet website :

This release includes the following improvements (compared to DOS 2.10.0): So, Direct mode is available in DOS2, but the tutorial is missing..... (other hidden menus than DOS1)
At the time I wrote the post, 26th of December 2019, DOS2 didn't support optical direct mode. 2.11.2 with optical direct mode was released a couple of weeks ago. In DOS2 you'll have to press the button on the back of the speaker five times to enable the optical direct mode. A user reported that his Phantom reverted to normal mode by itself after some time, so it seems like it's not 100% yet.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(23-Sep-2020, 14:15)Luvdac Wrote: Well  I seem to have made a mess of things. I reset my phantoms from optical direct to factory settings and now I can't put them back into optical mode. When I open up the app it finds the speaker but is asking me to upgrade to the latest dos 2. It won't let me get past this upgrade page.
Anyone here has workaround?

Can you disconnect your router from the internet so the app can't check for updates?
My Phantom Voyage
"In DOS2 you'll have to press the button on the back of the speaker five times to enable the optical direct mode. A user reported that his Phantom reverted to normal mode by itself after some time, so it seems like it's not 100% yet."

Hi,

Strange, i've done that and seems to work on my Reactor... too.   (lower latency in optical than the 60ms displayed in menu)
I will investigate Smile more
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
(23-Sep-2020, 23:49)ofrappier Wrote: "In DOS2 you'll have to press the button on the back of the speaker five times to enable the optical direct mode. A user reported that his Phantom reverted to normal mode by itself after some time, so it seems like it's not 100% yet."

Hi,

Strange, i've done that and seems to work on my Reactor... too.   (lower latency in optical than the 60ms displayed in menu)

@ofrappier can you please share the steps you took to enable optical direct mode?
I tried multiple times by pressing the power button 5 times on different speakers Silvers and Reactor and it didn't work.
(23-Sep-2020, 23:59)mingfang Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 23:49)ofrappier Wrote: "In DOS2 you'll have to press the button on the back of the speaker five times to enable the optical direct mode. A user reported that his Phantom reverted to normal mode by itself after some time, so it seems like it's not 100% yet."

Hi,

@ofrappier can you please share the steps you took to enable optical direct mode?
I tried multiple times by pressing the power button 5 times on different speakers Silvers and Reactor and it didn't work.

the correct name is "low latency optical mode"

nothing change in menu, efter the 5 times, i will investigate with "RTA/Rew" measurements, in next days, my Reactors seems to be now lower than 60ms
IMAC -> MOTU 8A -> TOSLINK -> PHANTOM I RIGHT AUX OPTICAL INPUT-> ETHERNET CABLE between LEFT and RIGHT (60ms):  2X Phantom I 103 dB (2021) in STEREO MODE DOS 2.12.3 - app 1.14
(23-Sep-2020, 21:19)ragwo Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 14:15)Luvdac Wrote: Well  I seem to have made a mess of things. I reset my phantoms from optical direct to factory settings and now I can't put them back into optical mode. When I open up the app it finds the speaker but is asking me to upgrade to the latest dos 2. It won't let me get past this upgrade page.

Can you disconnect your router from the internet so the app can't check for updates?

Tried that. Same result. Wont let me get past the update page.
(24-Sep-2020, 04:02)Luvdac Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 21:19)ragwo Wrote:

Try uninstalling / reinstalling the app. It may have entered some strange state so you need to erase all the app local data.

Also, do you have the latest app (1.12.1)?
(24-Sep-2020, 11:00)quartz78 Wrote:
(24-Sep-2020, 04:02)Luvdac Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 21:19)ragwo Wrote: Can you disconnect your router from the internet so the app can't check for updates?

Try uninstalling / reinstalling the app. It may have entered some strange state so you need to erase all the app local data.

Also, do you have the latest app (1.12.1)?

I ended up upgrading to dos2. I put in a post regarding my experience on that over at the dos2.11.3 thread.
I havent put the phantoms into optical direct but pretty happy with the set up atm. Optical input and both phantoms linked with an ethernet cable.
But how to select the channel (L\R) for each speaker?
(24-Sep-2020, 00:55)ofrappier Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 23:59)mingfang Wrote:

Hi,

the correct name is "low latency optical mode"

nothing change in menu, efter the 5 times, i will investigate with "RTA/Rew" measurements, in next days, my Reactors seems to be now lower than 60ms
From the release note:
Added support of direct optical mode for Phantom Premier (recommended for professional use only). 

Would be a great bonus if the Reactors are affected by the update.
My Phantom Voyage