Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Direct Optical mode - How to
(26-Oct-2018, 14:43)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: How's the delay looking using a Dialog with the Phantoms in a standard setup? Would appreciate any hints here.

Measures from users and info from Devialet give an average of 150-160ms
(26-Oct-2018, 14:43)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: … I'm wondering if there's an option for the Dialog to be used in a "Direct Optical" mode like a single Phantom?

I am not aware of Special modes for the Dialog but then again the Phantom Special modes are not common knowledge.

If you still need to sync with your other speakers then both Phantoms will require the Direct Optical mode. You will need an optical splitter to ‘duplicate’ the optical output and set each Phantom to play either the left or right audio channel. Splitters can be cheap and many require no power.

However, setting both Phantoms to Direct Optical mode requires the Dialog to be powered off and is in effect redundant as is the Spark app.
Thanks for the insight Alan, that makes a lot of sense. Looks like I need to order a bit of extra stuff from Amazon and will be able to send the Dialog back once it's here. I'll report back here how the two Golds are working for me with Airplay 2 then.
(27-Oct-2018, 07:00)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: Thanks for the insight Alan, that makes a lot of sense. Looks like I need to order a bit of extra stuff from Amazon and will be able to send the Dialog back once it's here. I'll report back here how the two Golds are working for me with Airplay 2 then.

If it helps, I have this splitter which is cheap and plasticky but works upto 96kHz.
Many sellers of this generic device at many price points but it’s a good cheap way of testing out the system.
There are then plenty more expensive items with better build quality should you feel the need to update.
(27-Oct-2018, 11:33)alandbush Wrote:
(27-Oct-2018, 07:00)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: Thanks for the insight Alan, that makes a lot of sense. Looks like I need to order a bit of extra stuff from Amazon and will be able to send the Dialog back once it's here. I'll report back here how the two Golds are working for me with Airplay 2 then.

If it helps, I have this splitter which is cheap and plasticky but works upto 96kHz.
Many sellers of this generic device at many price points but it’s a good cheap way of testing out the system.
There are then plenty more expensive items with better build quality should you feel the need to update.

Thank you. I’ve seen that exact item on Amazon.de. Will order it with a couple others to see how they work!
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
And when you're in Direct Optical how do you manage the volume? E.g. I plug a splitter in my TV optical output, then 2 Phantoms. Would the TV control the volume of the Phatoms?

I guess I'm confused with this volume setting 0db that we have to select? And if yes, no more need for a Dialog, right?

I think Alan we would all like (especially me) to understand better your setup :-)
(28-Oct-2018, 22:48)Keind23 Wrote: And when you're in Direct Optical how do you manage the volume? E.g. I plug a splitter in my TV optical output, then 2 Phantoms. Would the TV control the volume of the Phatoms?

The volume of the optical output is controlled by the device that delivers it.
The TV, in your instance, assuming that it has this feature. Often this output is fixed.

Take a look at some CD players or software players etc. They can offer a fixed or variable output.
If you have a device that has fixed output then another device would be required to be added to the signal path to change the volume of the optical output.

(28-Oct-2018, 22:48)Keind23 Wrote: I guess I'm confused with this volume setting 0db that we have to select? And if yes, no more need for a Dialog, right?

Selecting Direct Optical mode enables setting a Phantom to a fixed volume setting that, if chosen to match your other equipment, provides sufficient headroom for volume control.

In my case, I set the fixed volume at the loudest setting I expected to use, knowing that this can be achieved if the volume control is at it highest. I currently listen at 20dB below this loudest setting, increasing the volume dependant on the source and my mood.

The Dialog, if powered on, interferes with the enabling of the Direct Optical mode. It is therefore redundant in this use case.
(28-Oct-2018, 22:48)Keind23 Wrote: And when you're in Direct Optical how do you manage the volume? E.g. I plug a splitter in my TV optical output, then 2 Phantoms. Would the TV control the volume of the Phatoms?

I guess I'm confused with this volume setting 0db that we have to select? And if yes, no more need for a Dialog, right?

I think Alan we would all like (especially me) to understand better your setup :-)

Have a look at this thread --> https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Developi...5#pid78395

I now have this set up and running. Still a little fine tuning on some of the sound levels to be done. Each input to the WXC-50 can be adjusted. Also working on the best setting for the direct optical mode to get the best result.

The reason I went down this path is that there are limited devices in my price range that control volume in the digital domain. Most TV optical outputs are fixed as noted. 

I used an active slitter to ensure no signal degradation.

So far I'm very happy. Stereo staging still seems on point.

Best of all - my wife is very happy now that everything is integrated into one remote :-)
Alan, Jcd, thank you very much! Very helpful and informative!
Awesome to see such activity in this thread. I'm looking to receive my 2 new Phantoms tomorrow or Wednesday the latest. Right now, the Airport Express works really nicely with Phantom Elevate in Direct Optical mode, with the volume range nicely controlled via iPhone/iPad/AppleTV/Mac. It also works well with the other speakers and Airfoil on my Mac, which I sometimes use to stream FLAC files from my Plex Server.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime