Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Direct Optical mode - How to
(04-Nov-2018, 17:41)alandbush Wrote:
(04-Nov-2018, 15:38)Malmbak Wrote: Would this work as a preamp?: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product...2-digital/

Sorry, I see no optical output.  Huh

However, if you really like it, there is a variable gain RCA output and this could be connected to a RCA to optical converter and then onto the splitter!!!
Picture #2
[Image: pre-box-ds2-digital-12.jpg]
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
This thread is covering what you ask for:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Developp...ark-dialog?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Ŷ
(04-Nov-2018, 19:33)ragwo Wrote:
(04-Nov-2018, 17:41)alandbush Wrote:
(04-Nov-2018, 15:38)Malmbak Wrote: Would this work as a preamp?: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product...2-digital/

Sorry, I see no optical output.  Huh

However, if you really like it, there is a variable gain RCA output and this could be connected to a RCA to optical converter and then onto the splitter!!!
Picture #2
[Image: pre-box-ds2-digital-12.jpg]

Doh! Although in my defence, I read the technical information on the website rather than looking at the picture gallery. I should have known better than to trust a website contents especially owning Devialet products. Angel
(03-Nov-2018, 01:36)alandbush Wrote:
(02-Nov-2018, 20:14)JDtheJD Wrote: I am confused as to how the optical splitter works. Does the splitter separate left from right or are the phantoms themselves handling the sound processing to split for stereo?

Yes, it is confusing although the term splitter is correct, I think.  Huh

The audio signal is actually being duplicated but being split to two or more outputs, depending on the device.
Each output contains the original stereo signal and a Phantom is set to choose either left, right or mix.
Interesting. It’s good to know there are options if the dialogue dies in the future.
I currently use two Golds with optical connection only (CD player and record deck). I frequently use one Gold only when we stay in a second home with a Macbook Pro and lossless files. In this situation, until now, I used the wifi mode through Sparks. In order to improve this one Gold configuration I’ve decided to switch to a cable-connected one. I’ve bought a DAC « Cambrige Audio Dacmagic Plus » that I want to connect between the Macbook Pro and the Phantom.

I’ve done the Mac/DAC/Phantom connexion as indicated in the Cambridge manual but I got no sound ! 

The digital audio input connection is correct since the Mac actually sees the DAC after I’ve switched to it in the System Preferences / Audio Output Device option. But I’m quite confused with the DAC/Phantom digital audio output connection option I used because it is apparently (but not so clear told in the manual) indicated for recording only. The second option would be using the RCA/phono output with a toslink adaptator to connect the Gold. But before falling back to this option I wonder if somebody can help with the optical output option issue.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(19-Nov-2018, 09:44)Jean-Claude Wrote: I currently use two Golds with optical connection only (CD player and record deck). I frequently use one Gold only when we stay in a second home with a Macbook Pro and lossless files. In this situation, until now, I used the wifi mode through Sparks. In order to improve this one Gold configuration I’ve decided to switch to a cable-connected one. I’ve bought a DAC « Cambrige Audio Dacmagic Plus » that I want to connect between the Macbook Pro and the Phantom.

I’ve done the Mac/DAC/Phantom connexion as indicated in the Cambridge manual but I got no sound ! 

The digital audio input connection is correct since the Mac actually sees the DAC after I’ve switched to it in the System Preferences / Audio Output Device option. But I’m quite confused with the DAC/Phantom digital audio output connection option I used because it is apparently (but not so clear told in the manual) indicated for recording only. The second option would be using the RCA/phono output with a toslink adaptator to connect the Gold. But before falling back to this option I wonder if somebody can help with the optical output option issue.

@Jean-Claude

I may be the bearer of bad news, but it is based on a couple of assumptions.
They are that you are connecting the Mac and DAC via USB and that you have selected the USB input on the DAC.

The DAC Magic manual, as you mentioned, does state the digital output can be used for recording.
That does not preclude connecting it to the Phantom input which should behave like a recording device.

However, the manual also states

“These outputs loop or pass- through unprocessed digital audio from the selected digital input.”

Now, although the USB input could be classed as a digital input, I suspect that the manual is referring to the coax/optical inputs.

It should also be noted that the digital output is of fixed volume, I.e. it is not adjusted by the digital volume control which only affects the analogue output.

If you have the opportunity, I would return the DAC Magic for the Yamaha WXC50 which a number of DC members are using successfully.

Alternatively, I believe, some MACs can output a digital signal through a Toslink mini adapter.  But then you are using the DAC Magic purely as a very expensive pass through device.

Similarly, adding an analogue to digital converter to the DAC Magic output seems, dare I say, illogical.  You may as well stick with wi-fi and Spark.
Thx for sharing that low latency mode.
So how does it affect sound quality? What processing steps are skipped when direct mode is used?

tia
(02-Dec-2018, 22:55)laser Wrote: Thx for sharing that low latency mode.
So how does it affect sound quality? What processing steps are skipped when direct mode is used?

tia

With regards to sound quality, it is difficult to compare but I have no complaints.  But then again, I have gone beyond the desire to forensically analyse the sound UNLESS there is clearly a need.

My guess as to the latency improvement is that the necessary communication between the Dialog and Phantoms to maintain synchronicity is eliminated.  I do not believe the DSP is switched to a lower latency mode, unlike for example the option available on the Kii Three speakers. I think they maintain their sync via a cable link between speakers.

However, another useful advantage is that the Direct connnection is very robust and consistent.
I have not had a dropout or need to reboot since the change. Previously, I would find one speaker had ‘dropped out’ overnight more often than I liked.  This would often necessitate a reboot or similar.
Check out MOTU...they will give you tons of options for playing via direct optical.  They are pricey but I have had great success incorporating them into a large recreational DJ system.

This has the most optical out options but they have many others...

http://motu.com/products/avb/lp32