Poll: Do you SAM and if so, how exactly do you choose to use it.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SAM 100% all the time
31.53%
64 31.53%
SAM at a fixed % all the time
21.18%
43 21.18%
SAM all the time, but vary the percent
4.93%
10 4.93%
SAM all the time at 0%
3.94%
8 3.94%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 100% if on
1.97%
4 1.97%
Sometimes SAM on or off, with fixed % if on
1.48%
3 1.48%
Sometimes SAM on or off, and vary the % if on
2.96%
6 2.96%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 0% if on
0.49%
1 0.49%
I have SAM ready speakers but prefer SAM off at all times
9.36%
19 9.36%
I do not have SAM ready speakers
22.17%
45 22.17%
Total 203 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use SAM?
I have noticed a little bit of renewed interest in SAM recently, and have also noticed that this has never been subjected to a poll.

So do you use SAM, and if so how exactly do you prefer to use it?

As ever, you can caveat your vote by posting whatever comments you feel are appropriate.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
As my speakers are only about 2 foot from the back wall I had to experiment a lot to get SAMright.
Mine is now set at 25% and it stays there.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(23-Dec-2016, 10:49)NickB Wrote: Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.

Out of curiosity I have just taken a look at the SAM curves for the S5's, and I can see your point, one of the best 'without SAM' curves I've seen, very impressive!

So have you tried SAM on the 120 / Ergo rig?  (or is the Ergo E-IX different to the Ergo IX?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I've use it all the time at 13%. Makes a really nice difference for me, all positive, no negatives. Took me a long time to dial it in, the temptation is to overdo it in my experience.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I am using SAM at 100% but with room correction. I.e. I measure with SAM at 100% to include the bass boost it provides. Works very well even if my speakers are not SAM profiled. I do not recommend using the "wrong" SAM profile in general, but in my setup with RC it performs beautiful.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(23-Dec-2016, 11:13)Confused Wrote:
(23-Dec-2016, 10:49)NickB Wrote: Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.

Out of curiosity I have just taken a look at the SAM curves for the S5's, and I can see your point, one of the best 'without SAM' curves I've seen, very impressive!

So have you tried SAM on the 120 / Ergo rig?  (or is the Ergo E-IX different to the Ergo IX?)

They are indeed the Ergo IX with the SAM profile, one of the reasons I had them made. Due to it being an apartment we are in I don't really want to increase the bass too much so not tried it in anger yet but will over Xmas and let you know. However the sound of them driven by the D120 is slightly magical so perhaps there is something special about the 120 in a small bookshelf speaker low volume environment!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
sadly SAM for my Giya G2 is unusable since firmware 8.x. SAM V2 produces a massive bass boost under 100hz, even if SAM is set to 0%.
I have a case open with Devialet, but so far no outcome.
I was using SAM at 0% with my D400 with v10 firmware. The dynamics was better, along with better grip at the low end.
I find increasing the SAM % somehow obscure some details and the balance at the top end.

My 220 Pro just came back to me. As the Pro provides more details, I find it better without SAM, further more the bottom end already improves with the Pro compare to the previous D200.

Anyway, this is still early days. Will experiment with/ without SAM once the 220 Pro is more 'run in'.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
Interesting poll and even so the number of people with SAMed speakers and preferring SAM off. Same for me. With SAM on there is a loss of air around vocals.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands