Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual mono with REL Subwoofer
Connection-wise, yes. Subwoofer crossover disabled, yes.

However, the low-pass frequency/slope setting for the mono line outs on the Experts is a variable, as is the low-level gain on the subwoofers. They will all interract with each other, and the "best" settings are going to be a function of your main speakers, room, and tastes.

So getting them "right" is an iterative process, and slightly hampered by the configurator/SD card process to change the first two settings. In your case everything is doubled, but I think it's very likely you'll want the same settings for both subs both on the Experts and on their plate amps, so that makes it somewhat easier.

So here's how I made it easier for myself to establish the rolloff frequency for the Experts - using a software signal generator I played specific frequency tones into the main speakers alone to understand the nature of their rolloff in-room, listening for volume by ear. (I have a measurement microphone and RTA, but I trust my ears)

In my case bass is very full, clean, and even from 40hz down to 27hz; below that there is steep rolloff. This suggested a steep (4th order) low-pass filter would be appropriate on the Expert, specified at approximately 27hz. So I set this up on the SD card and played a 20hz tone, using this to adjust the low level gain on the subwoofer to make the 20hz tone the same level as the 27hz. I then went up and down in frequency over the crossover again to check for evenness, and made further adjustments to the level. I identified that there was a slight "hole", a relative quietness, at 27hz, so I went through the configurator process again to raise the crossover point to 30hz and repeated the above calibration and checks, noting that the response was now smooth over the 26hz-30hz region. For different speakers, if they needed more help in the 30-40hz region, I might have gone to a 3rd-order or 2nd-order filter here instead.

I then listened to a couple of tracks that I find very revealing of low frequency evenness. These are not tracks with overwhelming subsonics - it's easy for those to sound impressive. The best for this purpose are those with some subsonics and also substantial musical detail in the 40hz-120hz range - the range which is so easy to ruin with an incorrectly set up subwoofer, causing mush and boom, which is far worse than having no subsonic bass at all. Another small adjustment to subwoofer low-level gain resulted from this.

Then I lived with the settings for a few days, as it does take a while to get used to the changed bass. Perhaps further adjustments. I've found that if I get the crossover setting right, I tend to want to increase the low level gain to enjoy the delicious bottom octave, whereas if I get it wrong I tend to want to reduce the gain to stop the 40hz+ region being damaged.

A couple of further points to make:

The REL crossover goes very low, but is not a steep rolloff and my mains are unusually capable in the deep bass. My previous mains have been less capable here, and the REL crossover suited them better than it does the A5s.

Considerable care is needed when playing bass sine tones into the system, because it represents a sustained stress situation which is unusual in music (except for a sustained 32ft organ pedal note). So I suggest starting at very low volumes (e.g. -60 on the Expert volume) and increasing to a moderate volume - I find that's enough to check evenness. Amps and woofers will work hard, so bear this in mind and don't unnecessarily prolong the test!
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
Reading this with interest. I wonder if any of you have tried using high quality RCA subwoofer isolation transformers in your setup, to galvanically isolate the Sub from the Devialet?

I used to feel that merely having my subwoofer connected to the Devialet had a detrimental effect on the sound of the Amp, I suspect because of the electrical noise from the sub.

I got one of these Jensen SUB-2RR units and have been very happy with the result. It's worth experimenting with it IMO.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/
https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-2rr/

Regards,
Rodney
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
My subs are connected to the same power strip with Devialets - GigaWatt PF-2 EVO. Anthem MRX 720 also.

Subs are connected to both Devialets and Anthem. AudioQuest Boxer 5m cables for Devialet - Oehlbach NF Sub 5m for Anthem.

I don't have any issues (hum, buzz...).
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Good to read some posts here from people who use the Devialet with subs. I have a pair of ELAC Sub-2090 (although one is playing dead now). When I bought them 4 years ago, I spent hundreds of hours learning on how to set them up properly and bought the XTZ Room Analyzer Pro II kit to help me.
There seem to be two schools, one who recommends using mains full range (REL and PS AUDIO for example) and the other that insists that only using HPF for the mains will give proper integration (JL Audio, www.acousticsfrontiers.com). Since the Devialet provides this option, I went with the latter and practically created a three-way speaker with bi-amping if you like from my two way YG Acoustics Carmel. The two subs were close to the main speakers and crossed (both HPF and LPF) at 80Hz.
All subs, especially the ones with DSP, like mine, will have some delay, somewhere between 3ms-10ms (possibly more even), I found that time aligning the subs was critical to get the best results. Depending on the delay, this means that you either place the subs a little bit behind the mains, or a lot behind the mains. 10ms means about 10 feet. Usually, this is worked around by adjusting the "phase" but that will alight the speakers at the crossover frequency and close proximity (reg the frequencies). Plus, as the name suggests, it is phase aligned but not time aligned. To be able to do that, you have to delay the main speakers. Luckily, with the Devialet, you can also do that. It took me about 3 days (about 8 hours) to properly do that with a lot of measurement but a lot of time was spent on the online configurator...
Subs were set mono btw, for better room mode cancellations. I got a nearly perfect result with above 20Hz-20kHz with +/-5db (not bad for a small room) and RT60 0.23-0.4 throughout.
Now, that one of my subs died, I have to start all over again. For now, I got good enough results regarding measurements but the sound is less convincing. To make sure I don't get directional bass from the sub, I lowered the crossover freq to 50 (both high and low).
I'm wondering now if I should either increase it back to 80-ish and see if I can localize the sub or should perhaps try running the mains full range and just use the sub to extend bass? My main spks go down to about 35 Hz (+/-2db) both in the specs and measured in my room. If I run them full range, where should I set the crossover for the sub? Also, what order is recommended? So far I have only used 2nd for both low and high as somebody here measured a few years ago and that seemed provide no phase shift. But that may not be important if I run the mains full range.
Anybody else tried to integrate their sub(s) using the active xover in the Dev? Or any suggestions regarding the above?
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500