Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Entreq grounding boxes
Wise words.

On semi-related note, a few days ago our doorbell stopped working. I had the electricians round yesterday afternoon to fix it. They were here for four hours. FOUR HOURS! They still have no idea why it isn't working, their best hypothesis being that something is causing a short, but they don't know what. They're coming back tomorrow. Could be the most expensive doorbell ever.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(09-Dec-2014, 17:37)stefanfreij Wrote: Hi,

Have actually got my Olympus for test and new Apollo Cables.
The Pictures show the sizes, other one is the Silver Tellus.

Olympus have one (1) sterling silver ground post, bad thing if using the Atlantis Cables, because this baby handle my 800 much better, let me explain..
My system, Dev 800, Olympus, Apollo Cables and my new Scala v2 for the test.

Removed the Silver Tellus and my Atlantis cables. Connected the Olympus and connected the Apollo to the first RCA (phono) in both Devialet. From the first beat it sounded much "heavier" and clearer in a much better way then the Silver Tellus have ever give me, could not believe it. Called Mikael (Per-Olof tester and maker of several components) and he explained to me that it could be that Silver Tellus is to much for the Dev. units alone (i have only my Devs connected), maybe draining the units to hard and "holding" back the sound stage.

I will keep this!
If i want to use my Atlantis i have to buy one more unit! Smile
If you are thinking of "earthing" more than two units with your Olympus, i do not think it will be for you.
Per-Olof is making a much larger Olympus to replace Silver Tellus as we speak Smile

Sending some pictures
When talking about connecting Olympus you say you connected the Apollo to the 1st RCA in both Devialets. Do you use 2 Apollo cables or does it have 2 connections on 1 cable? And can you explain why the Atlantis cannot be used? Thanks, I want to try the entreq boxes and trying to get what would best suit.
Just a thought, if I'm streaming wirelessly to my 200 and have nothing else connected apart from speakers then Entreq grounding can't help can it?

(10-Dec-2014, 22:23)Jwg1749 Wrote: Wise words.

On semi-related note, a few days ago our doorbell stopped working. I had the electricians round yesterday afternoon to fix it. They were here for four hours. FOUR HOURS! They still have no idea why it isn't working, their best hypothesis being that something is causing a short, but they don't know what. They're coming back tomorrow. Could be the most expensive doorbell ever.

Matt

You could install a battery powered wireless doorbell. Thats what we did and they work very well Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(18-Dec-2014, 16:14)PhilP Wrote: Just a thought, if I'm streaming wirelessly to my 200 and have nothing else connected apart from speakers then Entreq grounding can't help can it?

It appears that the connections at the back of the Devialet don't need to be "activated" via the configurator for the Entreq system to work. At the moment for instance I connect to the (unused and unconfigured) Phono 2 right RCA female on both my units.

Another interesting experiment would be to connect an Entreq ground box to the source itself, so in your case your Mac via an Entreq USB ground cable (or Naim streamer if that is connected). In my setup I ground my QNAP NAS and Draytek router. I use the smaller ground box for this.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(18-Dec-2014, 17:34)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Dec-2014, 16:14)PhilP Wrote: Just a thought, if I'm streaming wirelessly to my 200 and have nothing else connected apart from speakers then Entreq grounding can't help can it?

It appears that the connections at the back of the Devialet don't need to be "activated" via the configurator for the Entreq system to work. At the moment for instance I connect to the (unused and unconfigured) Phono 2 right RCA female on both my units.

Another interesting experiment would be to connect an Entreq ground box to the source itself, so in your case your Mac via an Entreq USB ground cable (or Naim streamer if that is connected). In my setup I ground my QNAP NAS and Draytek router. I use the smaller ground box for this.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, I am still intrigued by what these boxes do.
Do you use more than one box with no connection between them? (ie no longer a ground) and if so, why and what is the effect?
tia Frank
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Dec-2014, 19:31)f1eng Wrote:
(18-Dec-2014, 17:34)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, I am still intrigued by what these boxes do.
Do you use more than one box with no connection between them? (ie no longer a ground) and if so, why and what is the effect?
tia Frank

Hi Frank,

I use one Silver Tellus box specifically to ground the two Devialet units, my ADA sound processor and totaldac d1 server (so 4 ground cables in total). The second Silver Tellus is used exclusively for mains duties, so grounding my two Atlantis mains cables (each one has a ground cable that connects the mains cable to the ground box).

I originally had everything on one box but found that things didn't sound quite right when I added the mains cables a few months later (there was some odd variability in the sound going from amazing to not quite right which suggested a capacity issue). After some discussion with the distributor we tried a second Silver Tellus box and this worked really well.

As a complete aside I also ground my NAS and router to a small ground box. These are in a separate room. None of the boxes are connected to one another. Grounding these (NAS and router) was perhaps the greatest surprise since the improvement in SQ was not subtle.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Regarding where to connect to the grounding cable on a Devialet, I did a few measurements a year or so of the resistance from the earth pin of the plug on the mains cable to the point (ground part of each connector) where each Entreq grounding cable could connect to. The measurement was 0.5 Ohms to the grounding post of the Devialet and to the ground pins on the AES and digital RCA connections. The line 1 & 2 RCA connectors however measured 11 Ohms suggesting there was a bit more going on there circuitry-wise . These connections are configurable in several ways (i.e line 2 phono or line for instance) so there's clearly a bit more going on with them. From what I remember the Entreq dealer recommended connecting to one of the phono RCA connectors, but I suspected this was more out of habit than any technical differences between connectors as he hadn't had the chance to do any measurements like I had. Unfortunately on my Devialet the phono connectors are in use so I put the ground cable elsewhere. Interestingly I had it on one of the line 1 RCA connectors for a while but I recently moved it to one of the digital RCA connectors (on of the right-most pair of the 6 RCA connectors when looking towards the back) and things sounded a fair bit better to me so those differing impedances may well have a bearing on things (well they should!).
I seem to remember reading on the old, easy to navigate, web site that the phono socket grounds were insulated from the case. I don't know about from each other.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Dec-2014, 15:59)marcbrown Wrote:
(09-Dec-2014, 17:37)stefanfreij Wrote: Hi,

Have actually got my Olympus for test and new Apollo Cables.
The Pictures show the sizes, other one is the Silver Tellus.

Olympus have one (1) sterling silver ground post, bad thing if using the Atlantis Cables, because this baby handle my 800 much better, let me explain..
My system, Dev 800, Olympus, Apollo Cables and my new Scala v2 for the test.

Removed the Silver Tellus and my Atlantis cables. Connected the Olympus and connected the Apollo to the first RCA (phono) in both Devialet. From the first beat it sounded much "heavier" and clearer in a much better way then the Silver Tellus have ever give me, could not believe it. Called Mikael (Per-Olof tester and maker of several components) and he explained to me that it could be that Silver Tellus is to much for the Dev. units alone (i have only my Devs connected), maybe draining the units to hard and "holding" back the sound stage.

I will keep this!
If i want to use my Atlantis i have to buy one more unit! Smile
If you are thinking of "earthing" more than two units with your Olympus, i do not think it will be for you.
Per-Olof is making a much larger Olympus to replace Silver Tellus as we speak Smile

Sending some pictures
When talking about connecting Olympus you say you connected the Apollo to the 1st RCA in both Devialets. Do you use 2 Apollo cables or does it have 2 connections on 1 cable? And can you explain why the Atlantis cannot be used? Thanks, I want to try the entreq boxes and trying to get what would best suit.

I use two Apollo Cables right now with Olympus. sounds great!
You can use Atlantic, works if u pressing the "forks" together it will fit on the Olympus.
I Think the Apollo is just good enough
Any D400 owners using the Entreq grounding boxes?

If so, what inputs are you connecting to?