Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Entreq grounding boxes
One question, once you get the cables and everything you need, what do these things cost?
(14-Nov-2014, 00:06)Confused Wrote: One question, once you get the cables and everything you need, what do these things cost?

This website shows the US pricing:
http://www.kosmic.us/entreq.html
I think I need to spend a bit more time on room conditioning and speaker placement before looking at this, all in good time!
(14-Nov-2014, 00:47)Confused Wrote: I think I need to spend a bit more time on room conditioning and speaker placement before looking at this, all in good time!

Very wise. The interaction between speakers and room is the single most important factor in getting decent sound quality.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Nov-2014, 23:40)Confused Wrote: As an engineer, and someone who's natural abilities revolve around physics, I always love F1eng's posts, and I always find myself agreeing with his logic. But the thing is, with hifi, I amazed by how many times I listen to a demo of kit and the results are far from what I expected, or even the last thing I expected. Hearing is believing for me, especially when parting with cash for kit. I'd love to set up a true ABX test of Entreq equipment, and I have no idea what to expect or what the conclusion would be. I must admit, I read their website the other day, and the words snake oil came to mind, but as I said, I would not dismiss it at all until I had heard for myself. It would make an excellent dealer event to do a proper blind demo / test of the Entreq range. Or does anyone offer home demos?

I quite agree.
Back in the early 70s I saw no reason why amplifiers should sound different to each other until I had a home demo of an amp I liked the look of to see if it sounded loud enough. It was less powerful than the one I already had. To my amazement and initial incredulity the new amp sounded a lot better, and I have generally bought stuff I could audition at home where possible ever since.

That doesn't stop me trying to understand why.

If there is a genuine sound difference that hasn't shown up in measurements it means the critical parameters are not being measured, not that measurements don't tell about hifi!
Also, I think most fans do not like to accept that what they like the sound of is euphonic colouration, rather than some as-yet-to-be-discovered wonderful betterness in their favoured kit.
Record players and valve amps are examples here. Their characteristic sound was explained decades ago.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(14-Nov-2014, 13:44)f1eng Wrote: If there is a genuine sound difference that hasn't shown up in measurements it means the critical parameters are not being measured, not that measurements don't tell about hifi!

Quite. Now first I should say that I have never had the opportunity to try out Entreq grounds boxes and am quite prepared to believe that they do make an audible difference in some people's systems. However, what I don't understand is why Entreq are not prepared to explain their technology and how it works and produce technical measurements to support their claims. If they have truly developed a new, ground-breaking (sorry...) approach then surely they would have patented it and then be protected from competitors copying them.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(15-Nov-2014, 19:32)PhilP Wrote: However, what I don't understand is why Entreq are not prepared to explain their technology and how it works and produce technical measurements to support their claims.

"However we do not talk about the specifics of construction, materials or any of the development technology housed within any of our products, especially the range of Ground Boxs."

BTW, isn't it Boxes?

"The laws of nature are supreme and they are always valid, the materials she creates can rarely be bettered and only occasionally modified! This truth is essential to our approach in the quest to better understand signal transfer in Hifi and ultimately musical pleasure."
I think it is in many cases about people's self image. The idea that adding a bit of extra music related noise sounds nicer in not new, LPs both add this and have several percent distortion as do SET amplifiers yet their adherents are far more likely to believe that they possess some un-measured (or un-measureable for some!!) splendidness to substantiate their preference rather than that they like the sound a bit of added colouration gives.

This is faintly barmy since almost no recordings hifi fans have ever listened to on their system have not had some manipulation done, very akin to some of this colouration, during preparing a recording for release, particularly if they like pop music.

I love my record player and the sound quality never fails to amaze, but I don't decieve myself that there is any measurable superiority over CD I just accept the euphonic colouration and wallow in it a bit Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I've connected switch and NAS to Silver Minimus ( with Entreq RJ Chalenger ). Unfortunately to my wallet, it is next step up in SQ. Unbelivable, but worth to try.
(19-Nov-2014, 19:21)Tatomek Wrote: I've connected switch and NAS to Silver Minimus ( with Entreq RJ Chalenger ). Unfortunately to my wallet, it is next step up in SQ. Unbelivable, but worth to try.

Yup, it's pretty amazing. I was really surprised too.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK