Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Cables make a difference
I never thought I would be saying this, but I have spent some time comparing 2 Audioquest Ethernet Cables. Both same length from my 5 port switch box to the Dialog.
I was even more surprised to realise that a difference can be heard even though the stream is then sent Wi-fi from Dialog to Phantoms.
To complete the picture I have a pair of Golds and was streaming Tidal hifi quality.
The cables being Cinnamon and Vodka.
Initially I preferred the Cinnamon it seemed brighter than Vodka and more like the sound I was used to from my unbranded Cat7 cable.
After much swapping around and listening to all genres of music I started to notice that the Cinnamon sounded bright in vocals but more muddy in the instruments. Once I noticed this it was impossible to ignore and consistent across other tracks. The Vodka sounded more “right” and just much more enjoyable.
I got the cables from Futureshop on 60 day return if not satisfied so the Cinnamon will be going back and the Vodka is a keeper.
I still find it bizarre and somewhat impossible but to my ears the difference is obvious and if anyone else can justify the cost, it’s worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somewhat impossible? Totally impossible! I think vodka of a different sort may have been involved. Smile
I agree, that’s not possible. The way the data is transferred to Phantom makes it impossible. All connection methods will provide the same results as its digital data that does not compress based on bandwidth or connection quality. It’s always the same full size, full quality digital data no matter what.

Devialet Phantom (White)
This is why ABX is the best friend of your wallet!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Whatever makes the difference it is obvious that there is one. I doubt Steve would have kept the most expensive cable if he found no difference between them in his system. There are many factors involved here. Maybe ABX would reveal the differences, maybe not. Dismissing Steve's observations on theoretical grounds by stating 'impossible!' is not the way to go.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Not the way to go or not. It’s impossible. That’s it. Phantom doesn’t work like that.

Devialet Phantom (White)
@ogs: Placebo is probably a good contender. I've been fooled several times myself. I would recommend spending the money on acoustic treatment of the listening room instead of expensive ethernet cables. That would make a measurable effect, not just a perceived one.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Placebo is a possibility, sure. I prefer digital room correction myself, but room treatment is good if it can be done. Acoustic treatment that doesn't overwhelm your interior tends to be expensive though. And I do not agree that 'perceived' differences should be ignored. None of the cables in my system is of the 'fancy' and expensive kind by the way. I still find 'impossible' to be a bit over the top here..
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
My take is that it's not impossible that Steve is hearing a difference, and it's entirely up to him to decide whether he likes it enough to spend money on the cable.  I'd also guess the Vodka is the more expensive of the two cables...and that might have influenced Steve's listening unless it was done blind.

It is unlikely, but not impossible, that the bitstream delivered to the Phantoms is different - although if it is, I think that would mean at least one of the cables must not be working properly.  Because of the set-up Steve described, at least we don't have to discuss the possibility of effects like noise leakage, induced ground plane currents, etc. differing between the cables, which is quite refreshing.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Mar-2018, 13:30)thumb5 Wrote: My take is that it's not impossible that Steve is hearing a difference, and it's entirely up to him to decide whether he likes it enough to spend money on the cable.  I'd also guess the Vodka is the more expensive of the two cables...and that might have influenced Steve's listening unless it was done blind.

It is unlikely, but not impossible, that the bitstream delivered to the Phantoms is different - although if it is, I think that would mean at least one of the cables must not be working properly.  Because of the set-up Steve described, at least we don't have to discuss the possibility of effects like noise leakage, induced ground plane currents, etc. differing between the cables, which is quite refreshing.

You are totaly wrong!