Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 1000 Pro
(05-Aug-2016, 22:42)Tremayne Wrote:
(05-Aug-2016, 13:45)Confused Wrote: I will be having a lovely demo of the 1000 Pro tomorrow.  Shy   The only thing that really interests me is how does it sound, specifically how much of an improvement is it over the D800.  This will be a 1000 Pro / D800 back to back test with the KEF Blade.

However, if there is anything else anyone wants me to look out for, let me know!

I'd be interested to know the temperature differences between the 1000 Pro and the D 800.
Ah!  An interesting idea, and very easy to check.  I just hope I remember!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
What firmware will you be running on the 800?
And will the 1000Pro be fully run in by now?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Aug-2016, 00:20)Pim van Vliet Wrote: What firmware will you be running on the 800?
And will the 1000Pro be fully run in by now?

My understanding is that the 1000 Pro is a little over two weeks old now and has been through the traditional run-in procedure.  (AKA 'given a good thrashing')

As for firmware, I'm not sure what the D800 will be running.  I'll find out soon though!  Thinking about this one, I would prefer both units to be on the latest V10 firmware.  The demo should be about discerning the differences in hardware performance, not firmware differences.  Of course, V10 has the latest ADH which only the Pro can run, but some are reporting that the current Expert sounds different with V10, so it makes sense to keep the firmware consistent I think.  Although if the differences between the 800 and the Pro are within the margins of a firmware change, I'll be spending the upgrade cash on something more interesting! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
OK, nearly time to head off to Oxford! Being as I am a human being, not a piece of laboratory equipment, I thought it would be useful to state my 'expectation bias' up front, regarding what I am expecting the 1000 Pro to sound like. I can recall a couple of demonstrations of dual mono (500 and later 800) versus the 240 /250 in relatively short demos at Oxford Audio. In both cases I found the dual mono to be better, perhaps no surprise there, but not a massive leap. One way of looking at it is the D240/250 is a decent piece of kit and happens to be good enough to drive the Blades well, so how can it be a MASSIVE improvement? I did have a weekend home demo of a companion, and this convinced me of the benefits of going dual mono, a decision I have never regretted since. Basically at this level, small improvements are impressive, and one man's 'wow that's amazing' is the next mans 'there is a small discernible improvement', even when they are hearing the same thing.

So what is my 'expectation bias' expecting today? To be honest, a small discernible improvement', but nothing spectacular. For me, the D800 is already a fine match for the Blades, and somewhere up there with the better amplifiers in the world, so something small would be good. An epic leap in SQ? I don't think it's possible. So this should put whatever I post next into context, it should be an interesting day.

Oh, and as a tiny little teaser..... If all goes to plan, I should also be listening to a non Devilalet option with the Blades today. This is not one of the current forum favourites, such as the Gryphon, Aavik or whatever, but something interesting nevertheless.....
(06-Aug-2016, 09:12)Confused Wrote: OK, nearly time to head off to Oxford!  Being as I am a human being, not a piece of laboratory equipment, I thought it would be useful to state my 'expectation bias' up front, regarding what I am expecting the 1000 Pro to sound like.  I can recall a couple of demonstrations of dual mono (500 and later 800) versus the 240 /250 in relatively short demos at Oxford Audio.  In both cases I found the dual mono to be better, perhaps no surprise there, but not a massive leap.  One way of looking at it is the D240/250 is a decent piece of kit and happens to be good enough to drive the Blades well, so how can it be a MASSIVE improvement?  I did have a weekend home demo of a companion, and this convinced me of the benefits of going dual mono, a decision I have never regretted since.  Basically at this level, small improvements are impressive, and one man's 'wow that's amazing' is the next mans 'there is a small discernible improvement', even when they are hearing the same thing.

So what is my 'expectation bias' expecting today?  To be honest, a small discernible improvement', but nothing spectacular.  For me, the D800 is already a fine match for the Blades, and somewhere up there with the better amplifiers in the world, so something small would be good. An epic leap in SQ?  I don't think it's possible.  So this should put whatever I post next into context, it should be an interesting day.  

Oh, and as a tiny little teaser.....   If all goes to plan, I should also be listening to a non Devilalet option with the Blades today.  This is not one of the current forum favourites, such as the Gryphon, Aavik or whatever, but something interesting nevertheless.....

As always I look forward to your observations
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
If anybody gets the chance to measure the power consumption of an Expert Pro I'd be interested to know how much the units consume when "off", in standby, and idle. Devialet advertised reduced power consumption but haven't published numbers. Thanks!
(06-Aug-2016, 09:12)Confused Wrote: OK, nearly time to head off to Oxford!  Being as I am a human being, not a piece of laboratory equipment, I thought it would be useful to state my 'expectation bias' up front, regarding what I am expecting the 1000 Pro to sound like.  I can recall a couple of demonstrations of dual mono (500 and later 800) versus the 240 /250 in relatively short demos at Oxford Audio.  In both cases I found the dual mono to be better, perhaps no surprise there, but not a massive leap.  One way of looking at it is the D240/250 is a decent piece of kit and happens to be good enough to drive the Blades well, so how can it be a MASSIVE improvement?  I did have a weekend home demo of a companion, and this convinced me of the benefits of going dual mono, a decision I have never regretted since.  Basically at this level, small improvements are impressive, and one man's 'wow that's amazing' is the next mans 'there is a small discernible improvement', even when they are hearing the same thing.

So what is my 'expectation bias' expecting today?  To be honest, a small discernible improvement', but nothing spectacular.  For me, the D800 is already a fine match for the Blades, and somewhere up there with the better amplifiers in the world, so something small would be good. An epic leap in SQ?  I don't think it's possible.  So this should put whatever I post next into context, it should be an interesting day.  

Oh, and as a tiny little teaser.....   If all goes to plan, I should also be listening to a non Devilalet option with the Blades today.  This is not one of the current forum favourites, such as the Gryphon, Aavik or whatever, but something interesting nevertheless.....

You get lost on the way home?   Big Grin
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Aug-2016, 09:12)Confused Wrote: Oh, and as a tiny little teaser.....   If all goes to plan, I should also be listening to a non Devilalet option with the Blades today.  This is not one of the current forum favourites, such as the Gryphon, Aavik or whatever, but something interesting nevertheless.....

I can reveal that the Confused one is trying a reconditioned Amstrad Integra 4000 (£40) from the 1970s. 

With its switch on screeches and its crackling sliders, it replaces as the AIR white noise and crackles which he is now missing.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(06-Aug-2016, 20:40)IanG-UK Wrote:
(06-Aug-2016, 09:12)Confused Wrote: Oh, and as a tiny little teaser.....   If all goes to plan, I should also be listening to a non Devilalet option with the Blades today.  This is not one of the current forum favourites, such as the Gryphon, Aavik or whatever, but something interesting nevertheless.....

I can reveal that the Confused one is trying a reconditioned Amstrad Integra 4000 (£40) from the 1970s. 

With its switch on screeches and its crackling sliders, it replaces as the AIR white noise and crackles which he is now missing.

You are on fire!  Big Grin
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I am quite curious about your comments! My bias is that the amplification part is already excellent but the diverse input options need improvements (not only AIR). So how much of what ever you experience will be changes before or after the DAC?