Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 220 Pro CI - Sub or no Sub
My subs are connected to both Devialet and AVR.

In HT bypass mode AVR is responsible for bass management.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I have always prioritised subs with music, so I attach them directly to Devialet, and tell the AVR that I have "no sub" so that it sends all bass to the fronts (the Line In of my D220). That is better for music but not optimal for movies.

I have often considered connecting them to my AVR, but it would mean a convoluted connection to share the music signal between it and the D220.
For example, I could pipe the signal the D220 receives directly through the Coax Digital Out to the AVR.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(09-Mar-2022, 09:36)Delija Wrote: My subs are connected to both Devialet and AVR.

thanks for sharing - I had never noticed in the configurator that the subs could be controlled independently for each input. Pretty cool.

May I ask for more details on how you get 2 amps wired to a single sub?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France
(09-Mar-2022, 13:33)JohnnySix Wrote: I have always prioritised subs with music, so I attach them directly to Devialet, and tell the AVR that I have "no sub" so that it sends all bass to the fronts (the Line In of my D220). That is better for music but not optimal for movies.

I have often considered connecting them to my AVR, but it would mean a convoluted connection to share the music signal between it and the D220.
For example, I could pipe the signal the D220 receives directly through the Coax Digital Out to the AVR.

I agree with your priority, and that's the setup I had in mind... But if I can wire it to both amps without risking to blow it up with some dual input, I guess I would make the most of it (as the AVR is likely better with a full 5.1 system than with a 5.0)
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France
(09-Mar-2022, 22:14)ArnoNYC Wrote:
(09-Mar-2022, 09:36)Delija Wrote: My subs are connected to both Devialet and AVR.

thanks for sharing - I had never noticed in the configurator that the subs could be controlled independently for each input. Pretty cool.

SVS SB16-Ultra has two line level inputs.
For stereo - connection with Devialet is active. For HT - connection with AVR.
The same is on both subwoofers.

(10-Mar-2022, 00:39)Delija Wrote:
(09-Mar-2022, 22:14)ArnoNYC Wrote:

SVS SB16-Ultra has two line level inputs.
For stereo - connection with Devialet is active. For HT - connection with AVR.
The same is on both subwoofers.

My apologies for being so specific, but I'm still trying to confirm my way forward... the line level inputs are identified as L & R, so should I understand that you kind of split (or mix) L&R to cross-wire the 2 amps to the 2 subs? 

From your description and considering that I would only get one sub, I'm wondering whether I could feed the L&R inputs individually from the AVR and Devialet outputs configured in Mono...  Dodgy
Inputs on subs are labeled with L & R, but they are equal and combined inside since the subs are mono.

I have 2 subs, so I use 2 cables for one sub and 2 for the other. 2 cables go from AVR to both subs and also 2 cables from Devialets to the subs.

In your case - do just like you wrote. AVR to L (or R) and Devialet in mono mode to R (or L). If you don't use Y-adapter and both outputs from Devialet you will have lower gain/level, but that's easy to compensate on Devialet or subwoofer.

BTW, I use mono configuration on Devialet. Through the time, I've tried both stereo and mono several times and I ended on mono.

(10-Mar-2022, 10:01)Delija Wrote: Inputs on subs are labeled with L & R, but they are equal and combined inside since the subs are mono.

I have 2 subs, so I use 2 cables for one sub and 2 for the other. 2 cables go from AVR to both subs and also 2 cables from Devialets to the subs.

In your case - do just like you wrote. AVR to L (or R) and Devialet in mono mode to R (or L). If you don't use Y-adapter and both outputs from Devialet you will have lower gain/level, but that's easy to compensate on Devialet or subwoofer.

BTW, I use mono configuration on Devialet. Through the time, I've tried both stereo and mono several times and I ended on mono.

ok thanks for the confirmation. I'll probably get one sub and will try out the various configurations, to see what makes the most sense
For about 6 years I was using the Devialet with Proac Response D80, pretty large speakers, and didn't think I needed a sub. 5 years ago I swapped to YG Acoustics Carmel and though I was missing the lowest notes (also doubles as home theatre with a projector, just like yours), so I added two ELAC SUB 2090 subwoofers. Also bought an XTZ Room Analyzer Pro II to be able to set them up correctly. It took well over a hundred hours of learning about room acoustics, sub integration, and settings, etc. I was able to integrate them perfectly (I think). I use both the high-pass and the low pass filters on the Dev and also delay the main speakers as all subs have several ms of delay because of their DSP (even if you don't use them). Not many amps can do that but the Dev can. I would say that without learning a lot and a measuring kit (or at least a mic and REW) integration is tough and you may be disappointed. Of the brands, I would go for JL Audio, REL, possibly SVS and the larger ELACs are good too.
I programmed the Dev remote that the middle button switches the sub out off and puts all bass frequencies back to the main speakers. This way I can immediately A/B test the system with the sub and high pass filter or just run the YGs full range. There is a substantial difference despite the fact the YGs go down to 35hz (-2dB).
BUT, if you are not willing (cannot) put in the time and energy to learn sub integration, you may be better off just buying bigger speakers.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
ArnoCDG (see the amazingly comical location humour here?)

I may be misunderstanding your question above, but:
In the configurator, I set up the two jacks closest to the speakers (whatever they are called) as Pre Outs, and then did a low pass filter at 60 Hz. I set up the next jacks as my inputs from the NAD amp I'm using as a streamer, and from the CD transport. The sub gets the stereo signal from 60 Hz down, and the speaker outputs are on a 60 Hz high pass. maybe I have overlap? Can't remember.

Apologies if this is all old news.

France definitely on the agenda this year, depending on the world situation.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada