Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro 440 vs. 1000
Hi everyone,

I would like to have your opinions regarding this question:
I have a Piega 711. Max Watts that they can handle per speaker: 250W

Now I don't know whether to choose the 440 pro or the 1000 pro. In some threades I've read that Devialet artificially degrades sound quality through software in the lower models? Could this be true? From a power standpoint 1000W means +4db max possible volume than 440W. Not more.

Would the 1000 pro be noticably better than the 440 pro on speakers that can only handle 250W, that's my question. Or would the difference in investment be better spent elsewhere? For example subwoofers?

How much better is a 1000 pro than a 440 pro?
+1 etch
Hello etch,

You ask a question that many have asked...and to which there probably isn't a single answer.

From an objective point of view, the hardware in the 440 and 1000 Pro models is very similar, if not identical, apart from the casework.  The "official" explanation as to why the 1000 Pro can deliver more power is that it has better thermal management, partly because the case has a lot more capacity to dump waste heat.  The firmware running in the two models is the same, but it certainly "knows" whether it's running on a 440 or 1000 and can adjust the power output accordingly.  Personally I think it's unlikely that the firmware deliberately degrades the sound quality on the lower-powered models, and it's unlikely Devialet would say it in those terms anyway, but I can't rule it out.

There are definitely cases where specific speakers respond better to the higher-powered amplifier, but it's not necessarily always about power (I don't understand why) -- some threads on this forum talk about this, but it's probably not a good idea to generalise the results.

As to which amplifier is the best match to your Piegas, really the only way to answer that is to try and get a back-to-back demo of both the 440 and 1000.  Are you anywhere near a Devialet dealer?  If so I'm sure they'd be happy to do that experiment.  One of the joys of these amplifiers is that they're so easily carried around.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(12-Nov-2017, 08:42)etch Wrote: Hi everyone,

I would like to have your opinions regarding this question:
I have a Piega 711. Max Watts that they can handle per speaker: 250W

Now I don't know whether to choose the 440 pro or the 1000 pro. In some threades I've read that Devialet artificially degrades sound quality through software in the lower models? Could this be true? From a power standpoint 1000W means +4db max possible volume than 440W. Not more.

Would the 1000 pro be noticably better than the 440 pro on speakers that can only handle 250W, that's my question. Or would the difference in investment be better spent elsewhere? For example subwoofers?

How much better is a 1000 pro than a 440 pro?

In some threads there has been speculation from one, maybe two, posters over the years that Devialet artificially degrades sound quality via software in the lower models.  From what I can gather, this is nothing more than pure speculation from those posting these comments, based on zero hard information and facts.  If you have seen these posts I can only assume you have seen responses from myself challenging this notation.  It would seam strange that in a highly competitive market Devialet would deliberately degrade the sound in what is still a very expensive product.  Anyway, the explanation is that the power supply software in the 'lower' models is set up slightly differently to keep temperatures in check in the 400 / 440's slightly different case.  So this is not something artificial, it is necessary to keep the electronics within temperature range, and how much this matters depends on how power hungry your speakers are.  (not just speaker efficiency, but dips in the impedance curve, etc.)

I have listened to both the 1000 Pro and the 440 Pro, but never back to back with identical speakers.  The Piega's are big beasts, but the specifications indicate that they are reasonably efficient.  So I suspect that 440Pro would drive them well, with the 1000Pro being slightly better, which probably comes as no surprise to you as a conclusion.  The only way to be 100% sure would be to try your Piega's with both models and hear for yourself.  Maybe this is not possible?  All I could perhaps say is that there is some similarity between the specifications of the Piega's and the KEF Blade that I use, similar efficiency, similar impedance and so on.  I was more than happy driving the Blades with my old D250, the D800 was a little better, the D1000 better still.  So I am as sure as I can be that the 440Pro would be more than enough to make the Piega's sing.  Would the marginally better performance of the 1000Pro be worth the extra cash?  That is a tough one to answer!

The Piega 711 is an impressive looking speaker by the way! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I cannot compare them side-by-side unfortunately

I'm inclined to believe that going for the 440 and adding 2 of these to the chain would bring more sound improvements:
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb16-ultra
Both the 440 Pro and 1000 Pro will give you plenty of flexibility when it comes to integrating the subs (filtering, delay tuning, etc.).  If you haven't already done so, it might be worth having a look at their configurator to get some ideas of what's possible.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The ADH module inside 250 Pro is completely different to the 220 Pro and this I can confirm. As for degrading the sound quality through software well I am sure due to the thermal management requirements being completely different that would be more a safety requirement , rather than any deliberate act.
I had 2 of the SVS sb13 ultras with 2 svs 12" .. the 16 ultra is a beast if its performance is near the 13 ultra...
I was running a set of vivid Giya G1's and wanted to use the subs as a way of actively busting room nodes
440 will do perfectly to drive your speakers ..there is no point in adding hosspower if you cant use it
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(12-Nov-2017, 15:17)Devialetuser Wrote: The ADH module inside 250 Pro is completely different to the 220 Pro and this I can confirm. As for degrading the sound quality through software well I am sure due to the thermal management requirements being completely different that would be more a safety requirement , rather than any deliberate act.

I have noticed that they are different in some of the pictures that have been posted over the last few months.  The 250/1000 ADH class D board appears to be gold across it's entire surface area, whereas for the 220 in is the main central area only, they definitely look different.  I did wonder if this was purely cooling related?  Do you know if there is some difference in the actual electronics?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(12-Nov-2017, 16:06)Confused Wrote:
(12-Nov-2017, 15:17)Devialetuser Wrote: The ADH module inside 250 Pro is completely different to the 220 Pro and this I can confirm. As for degrading the sound quality through software well I am sure due to the thermal management requirements being completely different that would be more a safety requirement , rather than any deliberate act.

I have noticed that they are different in some of the pictures that have been posted over the last few months.  The 250/1000 ADH class D board appears to be gold across it's entire surface area, whereas for the 220 in is the main central area only, they definitely look different.  I did wonder if this was purely cooling related?  Do you know if there is some difference in the actual electronics?

I do not know if the electronics are different on the ADH module. But yes the difference in appearance could be due to issues related to heat transfer on the ADH module. However I can't rule out the fact that their might be more than what just meets the eye.