Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focal Sopra No.2
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm planning to buy my first stereo system! I've learned a lot from you guys' posts and would greatly appreciate if you can offer me your opinions for my situation.

A bit about my listening. I mainly listen to classical (violin, piano, orchestra) and vocals (female and male) and my main source is Tidal. I use Windows laptop, and Android tablet and mobile phone. I hope to stream my Tidal music to the Devialet 200 in which I plan to buy as my integrated amp.

For speakers, I'm contemplating between the Sopra 2, 1028Be and PMC Twenty 26. I have auditioned them and found the Sopra 2 to be the best and the 1028s and 26s to be a tie while being different with the 26s being relatively more neutral. I wonder whether any of you have listened to any of these speakers driven by the 200? If money is no object, I would have opted for the Sopra 2 right away...so I'm contemplating if I should stretch my budget or if I will end up happy with either of the latter two speakers.

Lastly, is the 200 enough to drive the Sopra 2 effortlessly given the room size of no more than 30 sq.m.?

Thanks everyone!
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(08-Feb-2016, 01:06)apichetk Wrote: Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm planning to buy my first stereo system!  I've learned a lot from you guys' posts and would greatly appreciate if you can offer me your opinions for my situation.

A bit about my listening.  I mainly listen to classical (violin, piano, orchestra) and vocals (female and male) and my main source is Tidal.  I use Windows laptop, and Android tablet and mobile phone.  I hope to stream my Tidal music to the Devialet 200 in which I plan to buy as my integrated amp.

For speakers, I'm contemplating between the Sopra 2, 1028Be and PMC Twenty 26.  I have auditioned them and found the Sopra 2 to be the best and the 1028s and 26s to be a tie while being different with the 26s being relatively more neutral.  I wonder whether any of you have listened to any of these speakers driven by the 200?  If money is no object, I would have opted for the Sopra 2 right away...so I'm contemplating if I should stretch my budget or if I will end up happy with either of the latter two speakers.

Lastly, is the 200 enough to drive the Sopra 2 effortlessly given the room size of no more than 30 sq.m.?

Thanks everyone!

I have Electra 1038 and I have driven them with one D200, no problem at all but I upgraded to a D400 and that resulted in even better sound. 
I have not heard Sopra with Devialet but I think the Sopra is better than my 1038 and this was with electronics not in the same league as Devialet. I think a Sopra No.2 with a D400 is going to be a killer, just need to sell my 1038 then Sopra is going to be ordered.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(08-Feb-2016, 16:25)octaviars Wrote:

This is my first post and I'm planning to buy my first stereo system!  I've learned a lot from you guys' posts and would greatly appreciate if you can offer me your opinions for my situation.

A bit about my listening.  I mainly listen to classical (violin, piano, orchestra) and vocals (female and male) and my main source is Tidal.  I use Windows laptop, and Android tablet and mobile phone.  I hope to stream my Tidal music to the Devialet 200 in which I plan to buy as my integrated amp.

For speakers, I'm contemplating between the Sopra 2, 1028Be and PMC Twenty 26.  I have auditioned them and found the Sopra 2 to be the best and the 1028s and 26s to be a tie while being different with the 26s being relatively more neutral.  I wonder whether any of you have listened to any of these speakers driven by the 200?  If money is no object, I would have opted for the Sopra 2 right away...so I'm contemplating if I should stretch my budget or if I will end up happy with either of the latter two speakers.

Thanks everyone!

I have Electra 1038 and I have driven them with one D200, no problem at all but I upgraded to a D400 and that resulted in even better sound. 
I have not heard Sopra with Devialet but I think the Sopra is better than my 1038 and this was with electronics not in the same league as Devialet. I think a Sopra No.2 with a D400 is going to be a killer, just need to sell my 1038 then Sopra is going to be ordered.
Octaviars, thanks for your answer.  Can you tell me what size your room is?  Did you have a chance to compare the 1038s with 1028s?  I'm concerned about the bass of the 1038s being too boomy.  

Do you find a noticeable improvement in sound quality after moving from D200 to D400?

On another note, have you compared your 1038s with Sopra 2s?  

Thanks for your opinion!
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(08-Feb-2016, 20:20)apichetk Wrote:
(08-Feb-2016, 16:25)octaviars Wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Octaviars, thanks for your answer.  Can you tell me what size your room is?  Did you have a chance to compare the 1038s with 1028s?  I'm concerned about the bass of the 1038s being too boomy.  

Do you find a noticeable improvement in sound quality after moving from D200 to D400?

On another note, have you compared your 1038s with Sopra 2s?  

Thanks for your opinion!

My rom is about 55-60 sqm.

I have not listened to a 1028.

I dont think that the bass of 1038 becomes boomy but of course that will most likely depend on the room.

There is a diffrense between D200 and D400 but this will be different from case to case, but to me the 400 gave a bigger soundstage, more dynamic sound. I dont think the big thing is more power.

I have only listened to Sopra at my dealer but I also listened to my 1038 at his shop driven by a D200 before I bought them. In my opinion the Sopra with not so good electronics as a D200 or D400 sounded better than my 1038 did when I bought them. The soundstage of the Sopra was one of the best I have ever heard at this price range, more expensive speakers I have heard has not sounded this good.

I hope to sell my 1038 in the near future and order a pair of Sopras.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I just got back from a second (long) audition of the Focal Sopra 2 speakers.

This time, I was there for 2.5 hours and I brought along some of my own CDs which I'm very familiar with. The second time around, I found the Beryllium tweeter a little harsh on the Sopra 2 but the bass was very deep, when the music called for it. So it looks like the Sopra 2 will be too big (too much bass) for my 12ft x 14ft room.

I compared them to a pair of the new B&W 804d3 speakers and found the highs better & easier on the ears as compared to the Focal 2. Hearing the name "diamond" for the B&W tweeters, I was afraid the highs would be on the bright side but not at all. I found the highs very accurate and non-fatiguing. I was really impressed with the new B&W 804d3. So for me, I'm now down to either the Sonus Faber Olympica II or the B&W 804d3 speakers.

My advise, have a serious listen to the Focal Sopra 2 before you buy. Pay careful attention to those tweeters (highs). I was really taken by surprise.
Now you have me interested in the 804D3 as well. The bottom end specs are quite spectacular for a speaker of it's size. I think I might get a set home to try out, I'm looking for something that will sound a little better then my 1028BEs at lower volumes. Darn Condo living.

And maybe something a little more forgiving to bad recordings.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Me too.  Now if we could just squash them down a tiny bit more and maybe slant them back a bit......

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Well, tonight was my third audition of the Focal Sopra 2 via the Devialet 200.

Long story short, this speaker is off my list of possible speakers to replace my ProAc Response D30R speakers. The Beryllium tweeter still sounds harsh to me and I really don't get what the whole hype or magic is all about.

Again, I got to compare them to the B&W 804d3 speakers and the B&W sounded sweeter, more coherent and a joy to listen to. It's truly an amazing speaker for it's size that produces some really deep & powerful bass (so does the Sopra 2) but the Diamond tweeter sounds better (to me) than the Beryllium tweeter.
(19-Feb-2016, 02:10)Osamurai7595 Wrote: Well, tonight was my third audition of the Focal Sopra 2 via the Devialet 200.

Long story short, this speaker is off my list of possible speakers to replace my ProAc Response D30R speakers.  The Beryllium tweeter still sounds harsh to me and I really don't get what the whole hype or magic is all about.

Again, I got to compare them to the B&W 804d3 speakers and the B&W sounded sweeter, more coherent and a joy to listen to.  It's truly an amazing speaker for it's size that produces some really deep & powerful  bass (so does the Sopra 2) but the Diamond tweeter sounds better (to me) than the Beryllium tweeter.

Did you pay attention to the speaker cables they had on the Sopra 2?  It's just recently become quite apparent to me that the beryllium tweater needs transparent cables. The brand that is, they mellow that tweeter out nicely.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(19-Feb-2016, 02:45)Dr Tone Wrote:
(19-Feb-2016, 02:10)Osamurai7595 Wrote: Well, tonight was my third audition of the Focal Sopra 2 via the Devialet 200.

Long story short, this speaker is off my list of possible speakers to replace my ProAc Response D30R speakers.  The Beryllium tweeter still sounds harsh to me and I really don't get what the whole hype or magic is all about.

Again, I got to compare them to the B&W 804d3 speakers and the B&W sounded sweeter, more coherent and a joy to listen to.  It's truly an amazing speaker for it's size that produces some really deep & powerful  bass (so does the Sopra 2) but the Diamond tweeter sounds better (to me) than the Beryllium tweeter.

Did you pay attention to the speaker cables they had on the Sopra 2?  It's just recently become quite apparent to me that the beryllium tweater needs transparent cables. The brand that is, they mellow that tweeter out nicely.

The dealer is using AudioQuest Rocket 44 speaker cables.