Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focal Sopra No.2
(05-Mar-2016, 18:47)octaviars Wrote: Congratulation to your buy.

I just sold my Electra 1038 and Sopra 2 is high on my list of new speakers.

octaviars

I really liked what  heard when I took a listen, but my other speaker of choice is the B&W803D3
but I can not justify the cost difference. 

Good luck on your choice.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(05-Mar-2016, 23:39)BrianT Wrote: I really liked what  heard when I took a listen, but my other speaker of choice is the B&W803D3

Brian, have you heard the 804d3 in comparison to the 803d3? Given the price difference you might be able to afford the 804d3.

If you love the 803d3 then I don't want to discourage you at all, but I've heard the 803d3 in three places now and I actually preferred the 804d3. I've also heard the 803d3 and 804d3 vs. the Sopra #2 in the same room one right after the other and would take the 804d3 over the other two. Just so you that know I'm not off my rocker I've never loved the earlier 804 as much, but I think that the 804d3 is a huge upgrade over the 804d2 while the 803d3 is a little harsh. Also I do think that the Sopra #2 is a great speaker, just not as much to my taste as the B&W sound.
(06-Mar-2016, 01:13)deviousalet Wrote:
(05-Mar-2016, 23:39)BrianT Wrote: I really liked what  heard when I took a listen, but my other speaker of choice is the B&W803D3

Brian, have you heard the 804d3 in comparison to the 803d3? Given the price difference you might be able to afford the 804d3.

If you love the 803d3 then I don't want to discourage you at all, but I've heard the 803d3 in three places now and I actually preferred the 804d3. I've also heard the 803d3 and 804d3 vs. the Sopra #2 in the same room one right after the other and would take the 804d3 over the other two. Just so you that know I'm not off my rocker I've never loved the earlier 804 as much, but I think that the 804d3 is a huge upgrade over the 804d2 while the 803d3 is a little harsh. Also I do think that the Sopra #2 is a great speaker, just not as much to my taste as the B&W sound.

deviousalet

I'm like you like the B&W sound, the B&W802D's I am selling at the moment are my 4th set of B&W speakers over the last 20 years.
Thats why I keep coming back to the 803D3's, I have heard the 804D3 and they are real nice and in my budget, but lack a bit of the fullness I like.
I have made arrangements to go and have a listen to the 803D3's on Monday. Will have a better Idea then.
The 803D3 list for 20K here in Canada and the Sopra2s are 15K, so as you can see there is quite a price difference. 

I did enjoy listening to the Sopra2s and I do believe that I will easily get used to the difference of the 2 flavours, even though I do believe that the Sopra2s could be a thicker in there presentation. I will know more on Monday.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I'm interested in what you hear.

I too was really hoping that the upgrade to the 803 cabinet in the d3 revision would let me get that instead of an 802. However the d3 version of the 804 was a bigger upgrade with a better result to my ears. Of course the 802d3 (which I heard along with those others) has both a palpable presence and fullness that I really love, so I've stuck with my 802N until I can afford an upgraded 802 or find another speaker as good as ours. To me the 804d3 gets closest within the rest of the B&W range, but is still a far smaller-sounding speaker (although I love that it is actually smaller unlike the 802 which have grown at every revisions).

Enjoy your listening, and please post your experience.
(06-Mar-2016, 17:19)deviousalet Wrote: I'm interested in what you hear.

I too was really hoping that the upgrade to the 803 cabinet in the d3 revision would let me get that instead of an 802. However the d3 version of the 804 was a bigger upgrade with a better result to my ears. Of course the 802d3 (which I heard along with those others) has both a palpable presence and fullness that I really love, so I've stuck with my 802N until I can afford an upgraded 802 or find another speaker as good as ours. To me the 804d3 gets closest within the rest of the B&W range, but is still a far smaller-sounding speaker (although I love that it is actually smaller unlike the 802 which have grown at every revisions).

Enjoy your listening, and please post your experience.

I had a chance to have a listen to the B&W804D3 and 803D3, I loved the price on the 804D3. But I really like the sound of the 803D3
The 803D3 where new, the dealer received them on Saturday so they only have around 15 hrs on them. The 804D3 he's had for 6 weeks.

The 804D3s where gooood, nice sound stage every thing stayed in place and did not wander, tight bass, loverly vocals, but in my humble opinion
they lacked some presence and fullness.
I found the 803D3 to do all of the above better, but with a lot more presence and fullness with much deeper bass. I will have to take a second listen when they have more hours on them. I do find them to be expensive, about $4K more than the Sopra2s I have on order. If the price difference was only $2K I would cancel the Sopra2s and order a set of the 803D3

Brian
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I'm glad you heard the difference that way, which is how they should sound to justify their price point in the B&W line. Enjoy the Sopra, which are also excellent.
Today I decided to order a pair of black Sopra 2. Now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive to my dealer.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(08-Mar-2016, 19:47)octaviars Wrote: Today I decided to order a pair of black Sopra 2. Now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive to my dealer.

Can you tell us about your new configuration D400+Sopra 2?
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
(14-Mar-2016, 21:29)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(08-Mar-2016, 19:47)octaviars Wrote: Today I decided to order a pair of black Sopra 2. Now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive to my dealer.

Can you tell us about your new configuration D400+Sopra 2?

I havent got the speaker yet, there was 3-4 weeks of delivery time.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I wanted the Sopra No2s but my wife referred to them as broken garbage bins and abhorred the way they look. WAF (wife approval factor) takes big precedence in our living room guys. I think I will audition the 1038 Be II as she gave those the thumbs up. Really digging the Porsche Carrara white lacquer side paneling option. I know the Sopra line is higher up the Focal food chain so hopefully the Electra 1038 Be II will be a pleasant upgrade from my B&W CM8 S2 floorstanders driven by two Mcintosh MC275 Mk VI tube amps.