Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focal Sopra No.2
@tubeglow: have a look to Gauder Akustik Cassiano MK II. Awesome match.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Had my Sopra 2 with 440 combination now for 6 months. I tried a number of speaker cables and settled for Black Rhodium Quickstep. The speakers have improved with time and I have experimented with the SAM settings and find around 65-70 the best.

The speakers do show up poor recordings and I find the older cd's in my collection sound far better. A lot of recent recordings are mixed for radio or MP3 streaming and can sound harsh. Vinyl sounds fantastic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
New 130 Pro through already existing Sopra 2, I am using SAM at the moment to 100% but after getting used to the kit (first playback today and running the TQ set up disc) this may change.

Has anyone found the higher frequencies a little too much so far?

Also has anyone found their preferred sweet spot for speaker cable, I am using NACA5 which isn't a good fit I feel for this set up.
Focal Sopra No2, 130 Expert Pro with CI upgrade, Melco N1A, TQ Black USB, EWA LS-XXV SC, Atlas Isolated PSU, Ethernet CAT6 via Netgear switch. Melco LAN and Player CAT6.
(12-Jul-2017, 11:06)dan46 Wrote: New 130 Pro through already existing Sopra 2, I am using SAM at the moment to 100% but after getting used to the kit (first playback today and running the TQ set up disc) this may change.

Also has anyone found their preferred sweet spot for speaker cable, I am using NACA5 which isn't a good fit I feel for this set up.

Your Pro will settle down in the highs in time to come. It will however show any deficiencies in recordings. So if it's a bit much, use the tone controls.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(12-Jul-2017, 11:06)dan46 Wrote: New 130 Pro through already existing Sopra 2, I am using SAM at the moment to 100% but after getting used to the kit (first playback today and running the TQ set up disc) this may change.

I found my 440Pro sounding better with SAM off so perhaps try to work with that also.

I did not find my 440Pro to be to bright but you are balancing a thin line with Devialet and Focal but Sopra is on the otherhand much better in the highs compared to older Focals.

I use Cabeldyne Premier Silver speakercables which I find worked good with Devialet and Focal. Cabledyne have a new series called Nexus that is supposed to be a little bit softer in the top so that might work even better.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I'm also using a 130 Pro with Sopra 2s which replaced a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE. It sounds like you're having fun with the amp break in while I had fun with the speaker break in. I did have some issues with brightness with the Dyns when I first got the 130 but that settled with break in and a bit of attention to setup. The Sopra 2s were a bit more of an issue for me, both with highs and lows, because they have a wider frequency response and they load my room differently to the Dyns.

I think the high frequencies are fine with the 130 once you get the setup right. I'd definitely avoid speaker cables with a tendency to brightness and I'm using Kimber Select 3033 which are no longer available but which are very neutral. Other cables in the setup can have an effect too. I kept the cables I was using with the Dyns and haven't tried anything else so I can't offer any suggestions on the cable front though my dealer seems to recommend Tellurium Q Black. I haven't heard them.

My room is acoustically treated and I had to adjust the placement and positioning of every one of my panels and remove a metal topped side table and an aluminium floor standing lamp from the room in order to avoid brightness, even with neutral cables. Playing with the speaker positioning and toe in also helped. If you have a lot of toe in on the Sopras with them pointing directly at you or just behind you I'd try reducing the amount of toe in a bit. In the end I ended up with a very nice top end with less tendency to sibilance than I had with the Dyns and sibilance was uncommon with them. If you don't have acoustic treatment you can adjust then you may need to experiment with the tone controls.

I have SAM on but I have the amount set to 0%. I have a smallish room, a bit less than 30 sq m, and I get enough support from the room without dialling in extra extension though I think the phase correction I get with SAM turned on helps.

Once you get things settled in and tuned to your satisfaction the 130 and Sopra 2s is a very nice combination in my view.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thank you for the replies, hope you do not mind a collective response?

The Sopra 2 are a revealing speaker, (their try to disappear into the background but do like to let you know they are there) but do suffer from poor delivery (given what it is fed) and in my view not only show up poor recordings ( a lot) but poor front end also. I have had Vitus and DAVE DAC in here so know where these speakers live and breathe, they need feeding, a hungry beast :-)

With the 130 driving the tweeters they are too active/on, its off-putting, but this will calm down through run in.

Vocals on the 130 are very very good, not Vitus, but very close IMHO, a good sign. Listen to Tommy 96/24.

Bass is better, but I have SAM at 100% to get any reasonable punch/drive, but it is pretty good. The bass though sits a bit to high up for me.

Joined up, I feel the Devialet overall has a nice foot tapping groove, bit too much on the highs, bass feels it is just about playing the game properly (a bit Rooney but come on be better please), wish the Sopra tweeters would calm it all down a little, too revealing in conjunction with the rest.

NOW, if the 130 dug out the same levels in mids/lows as the highs are, well ....... maybe thats what the 440/1000 are doing.

Early thoughts ..... too rich in the highs, but overall given price etc not too bad at all :-)

EDIT : Looking at Vovox cables and ElsdonWolfor speaker cables (testing) as TQB just weren't working for me, too much dullness, but neutral more than NACA5 as comparison.

Just listening now while a few beers in and turning the volume up it feels like it is all falling apart a little at higher volumes, not as joined up. Apologies I hope this come across as intended and a neutral viewpoint :-) And I am only 2 days into owning/listening also....
Focal Sopra No2, 130 Expert Pro with CI upgrade, Melco N1A, TQ Black USB, EWA LS-XXV SC, Atlas Isolated PSU, Ethernet CAT6 via Netgear switch. Melco LAN and Player CAT6.
Running SAM at 100% will give you maximum bass extension but it will also place a bigger load on the amp. Do you need the extra extension SAM can give? I don't know what size your room is or if it has any characteristics which reduce bass, or what kind of music you like, how demanding that music is in the bass, or what your personal tastes are, but you can get more bass support by moving the speakers a bit closer to the wall behind them, and also by extending the spikes at the rear a bit to tilt the speakers forward a little. Both of those things will give you a bit more bass without placing additional demands on the amp and may allow you to reduce the amount of SAM you set things to. You said the Sopras need feeding and that they're a hungry beast but SAM is a bit of a hungry beast as well so dropping the level of SAM may actually give the Sopras a little more drive, especially if you can make up for the loss of bass from reducing the SAM setting by playing with speaker positioning and adjusting the rake. That may also help stop things falling a little apart at higher volumes. I do most of my listening at very moderate levels so that's not an experience I've had with my Sopras. I also listen mostly to jazz and the lowest bass in a lot of what I listen to is probably the bottom note on a piano which is around 29 Hz or so, not all that low, so I can get enough extension with placement and a small rake adjustment if necessary. Your situation and tastes may well be different given your mention of higher volumes. To give you an idea of my listening levels for comparison, I rarely have the volume set to more than -10 dB and most of my listening seems to be done somewhere between -20 and -15 dB.

I will add that I started out with SAM set to 100 with my Dyns when I got my 130 but over the first few weeks, as the 130 broke in and as I got used to the sound of it, I started reducing the level I set SAM to, ending up with it around the 20 to 25 mark. I've reduced it to 0 since getting my Sopras. Be open to reducing the SAM setting and you may well find, as I did, that you have to reduce it a fair bit to notice a reduction in extension anyway.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
David A some great points thanks. I feel you are right I haven't found my level yet as it still runs in. My style of playback is Metal/Rock with Jazz and others a fine second, so I do like punch and bass, but delivered with panache not full on NAIM assault :-) I have heard all amounts of bass delivery and nothing was as well glued together as the Vitus, but I didn't in the end want that level of expense. I like my bass joined in not separate or curdled (like milk thats gone off if that makes sense) NAIM never joined the dots for me in that regard ultimately.

My room has correction and bass traps but isn't the best really so does need that extra SAM, for now.

This morning it is still too 'toppy' and the staging a little improvement is needed but will have a tweak and see where I get to this next few days, like you suggested maybe point the Sopra down a little and toe in slightly more. Thanks :-)
Hi all, new around. Sopra No.2 were on my short list last upgrade. Heard them with different amps and also Devialet 200. The Sopras impressed much for that price point. Found lots of microdetails like from B & W 802 D3, but I preferred No.2. 

However in a store me and a HiFi buddy listened to the Focals and a pair of used Pioneer S1-EX. Amps came from MBL and Devialet, wiring from Wireworld. Both speakers have beryllium tweeters but No.2 got a little brighter tune. So it ended with new S1-EX and a Devialet 400.