Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geckos on wall
A few snaps of geckos mounted for those considering. One thing of note is that they really need to be high in the wall > 180 cm if sitting 2-3m away. Other than that, I would have liked a 2nd plate with a little less downwards angle, but they do work well for what they are (brackets :-)).

Now I just need a new firmware that makes the phantoms as reliable as a regular hifi or my Sonos. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! How does the elevated position affect the sound?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
The biggest problem is going to be hiding the wires. That would annoy me too much. I think I prefer stands. And also difficult to press the button on the rear if you have to.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Sounds good to me, compared to what I had them on before (Ikea folding chairs :-)), but I imagine that stands would have a better effect on sound - that's not an option in my case, though, due to small children.

Geckos come with a small cable cover and a white cable meant to be used if cables are hidden in the wall. That's for sure the best option, but I will have to wait with that - it's a brick wall and will require a lot of repairs afterwards, if tubes are milled into the wall. It's easy enough to reach and get to the reset button, though.
hehe looks somehow like the eyes of a snail.
But damn, that yellow cable. What were they thinking?
Totally off topic, but that's an intriguingly lowly mounted TV you have there. I have visions of you chilling on bean bags watching a movie!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I would just get some long white Power cables and use those if you can find them. No one will see the missing plastic cover at the back which is purely cosmetic. I would run the right one into the corner and the left behind the cupboard. 2 carefully placed pictures or plain decorative panels would just about hide them
(02-Mar-2016, 10:59)stevec Wrote: I would just get some long white Power cables and use those if you can find them. No one will see the missing plastic cover at the back which is purely cosmetic. I would run the right one into the corner and the left behind the cupboard. 2 carefully placed pictures or plain decorative panels would just about hide them

Or simply run stick-on white plastic conduit and then paint over them with the wall colour. I wouldn't make a mess by drilling out a brick wall if you have any doubts the phantoms will still be there in 5 years time! A small child will unlikely pull the phantom down on the official stand but they might poke and prod them and I am unsure how fragile they really are?
Maybe you could get some branch stands to mount them on and disguise the stands to look like your cactus, the kids won't mess with them then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks cool! If you could hide the cables it would even be better.

(02-Mar-2016, 10:52)Confused Wrote: Totally off topic, but that's an intriguingly lowly mounted TV you have there. I have visions of you chilling on bean bags watching a movie!
I remember a sociological survey in which they found that the lower people place their TV's, the higher their socio-economical status. Lower social class apparently have their TV's placed higher. (Don't know about Phantoms on Geckos btw)
Interestingly, since I know no people who have their TV's placed on the ground, one might wonder what this says about my socio-economical class Huh
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.