Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Phantom - Not enough mids and treble
Hi all

I was so lucky to buy a cheap used Gold phantom, model: MX207, s/n: K41PxxxxxU06.

Short about my “hifi story”:

I have had budget B&W speakers for a while, then replaced them with KEF ls50 wireless, which were great, but then I got kids that couldn’t keep the fingers from the driver units.
Hence bought Audiovector QR1(with frontcover), which have really great mids and highs, because of their AMT tweeters.

Anyway, I got the option to buy a Gold phantom and as everyone else, I love the bass.

However I feel they sound a bit “muffled”.

So the question is, do you guys think that my ears have just gotten used to the sound of the Audiovectors or is there a risk that there is a fault in the phantom?

Was thinking of buying a Bluesound node and connect it by toslink, would that help change the sound?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards Andreas
(09-Sep-2022, 09:43)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi all

I was so lucky to buy a cheap used Gold phantom, model: MX207, s/n: K41PxxxxxU06.

I have had budget B&W speakers for a while, then replaced them with KEF ls50 wireless, which were great, but then I got kids that couldn’t keep the fingers from the driver units.
Hence bought Audiovector QR1(with frontcover), which have really great mids and highs, because of their AMT tweeters.

Anyway, I got the option to buy a Gold phantom and as everyone else, I love the bass.

So the question is, do you guys think that my ears have just gotten used to the sound of the Audiovectors or is there a risk that there is a fault in the phantom?

Was thinking of buying a Bluesound node and connect it by toslink, would that help change the sound?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards Andreas
Congratulations on your "new" Phantom! As long as the tweeter diaphragm is undamaged the speaker should be OK. I believe the AudioVector house sound is a bit brighter than the Phantom's. A Bluesound won't help as long as you don't use an eq.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Sep-2022, 14:52)ragwo Wrote:
(09-Sep-2022, 09:43)Memphis_1984 Wrote: Hi all

Thank you for your time.

Best regards Andreas
Congratulations on your "new" Phantom! As long as the tweeter diaphragm is undamaged the speaker should be OK. I believe the AudioVector house sound is a bit brighter than the Phantom's. A Bluesound won't help as long as you don't use an eq.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, audiovector has a bright sound signature, so maybe I am a bit spoiled, but they are also very revealing.

Who do I add an eq? Some kind of minidsp?
I haven’t played around with eq’s before.
You can try the EQ in the devialet app, the voice mode will tune the phantom into a "normal" speaker with "more" emphasis on vocal presentation.
When compare with the KEF I think Phantom vocal presentation is more strict and focus while for KEF vocal presentation is a more open with some echo, there is reason to prefer KEF regarding vocal presentation. For instrumental music I think Phantom is more preferable.
Thank you all for your feedback!

I turn the high in the eq up, and that made a big difference.
BTW, I bought a WiiM mini streamer and connected it to the toslink of the phantom.

The WiiM has a 10 band eq, and that really made the difference for me.

Furthermore, I use Qobuz for hires music streaming, through the WiiM app.
(20-Sep-2022, 18:14)Memphis_1984 Wrote: BTW, I bought a WiiM mini streamer and connected it to the toslink of the phantom.

Hi, can you please clarify something for me, as I am searching for a solution to my problem.
I also feel the need for more treble and search for some device in between the music source and the phantoms, something with eq.

This problem of mine is solved when I stream from my phone - via bluetooth, because I use Poweramp Equalizer and all is very nice - I have eq.
But I also listen to music from the TV - optical out from Tv - optical in on one of the Phantoms. This leaves me with only the eq from the Devialet app - and it is just a basic eq with just bass and treble.

I am looking for a device to be in the middle between the tv and the phantoms, and the device should have eq.
This WiiM streamer of yours caught my attention. I see that it has spdif. Ok.
I am looking forward to your answer in my situation, what would you do ?
I have optical out from the TV - this should probably go into Aux in on the WiiM - and from there out from the WiiM via spdif and into the optical of one of the Phantoms.
It is unclear to me about that spdif port on the WiiM - is this an IN or an OUT port ? (probably a silly question, I am sorry).

I would prefer a wired setup, because of lag. I am also worried that this extra device (the WiiM) will add some lag.
Right now when I stream via bluetooth from the phone - I have lag 0,5 - 1 second something like this but I don't mind because I need only audio.
But is another story when I play from the TV, I need audio + video. 
Right now (optical out from TV - optical in on the Phantoms) it is perfect, the lag is minimum, not enough to be disturbing, I don't notice it when I look at the singer's lips.
If this will change by adding the WiiM, than it is not a solution.
(22-Sep-2022, 10:06)marius23mvp Wrote:
(20-Sep-2022, 18:14)Memphis_1984 Wrote: BTW, I bought a WiiM mini streamer and connected it to the toslink of the phantom.

Hi, can you please clarify something for me, as I am searching for a solution to my problem.
I also feel the need for more treble and search for some device in between the music source and the phantoms, something with eq.

This problem of mine is solved when I stream from my phone - via bluetooth, because I use Poweramp Equalizer and all is very nice - I have eq.
But I also listen to music from the TV - optical out from Tv - optical in on one of the Phantoms. This leaves me with only the eq from the Devialet app - and it is just a basic eq with just bass and treble.

I am looking for a device to be in the middle between the tv and the phantoms, and the device should have eq.
This WiiM streamer of yours caught my attention. I see that it has spdif. Ok.
I am looking forward to your answer in my situation, what would you do ?
I have optical out from the TV - this should probably go into Aux in on the WiiM - and from there out from the WiiM via spdif and into the optical of one of the Phantoms.
It is unclear to me about that spdif port on the WiiM - is this an IN or an OUT port ? (probably a silly question, I am sorry).

I would prefer a wired setup, because of lag. I am also worried that this extra device (the WiiM) will add some lag.
Right now when I stream via bluetooth from the phone - I have lag 0,5 - 1 second something like this but I don't mind because I need only audio.
But is another story when I play from the TV, I need audio + video. 
Right now (optical out from TV - optical in on the Phantoms) it is perfect, the lag is minimum, not enough to be disturbing, I don't notice it when I look at the singer's lips.
If this will change by adding the WiiM, than it is not a solution.

Hi

The WiiM mini has aux in, aux out and spdif/toslink out.

I have connected the phantom by toslink to the WiiM mini.

The have an appletv, and I just connect it by airplay to the wiim.

So through the wiim, I get the eq.

I hope this explains it, if not let me know

There’s almost no delay, in sound. Also, the wiim has the option to adjust delay.
Yes, is very clear, thank you.
At around 100$ I think it's worth a try.
Also, I don't think that the Phantoms are capable of MUCH more trebles.
I can see the difference when I go from my phone via eq, they have more trebles, but not much more.