Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
(18-Oct-2016, 02:31)mdconnelly Wrote: In truth, the existing Experts are exceptional products.  Jump off the merry-go-round and you can be a very happy camper for a long time.   As long as you stop reading DevialetChat,  stop reading about what new and awesome technologies are available. stop thinking there's something better out there.  Because there will always be something better, and it will cost a significant chunk of change.... and we will want it.

To be honest, I highly doubt that anyone will be able to hear a clear jump in sound quality.  I strongly doubt that the new pro line even sounds different enough for us to detect with any consistency.  Of course, I still want to upgrade anyway.    Rolleyes

I will say my 400 continues to leave me wanting nothing.  My only real concern with skipping the upgrade is being left behind permanently missing future improvements.
Aurender, Devialet D400, PMC Fact 12 Speakers, Nordost Cables 
Have heard D 400 for over 2 years at Home with Gauder Akustik Cassiano. Have reduced to 220 with better results over all. My wife feeling the same! Bit Smileys

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(20-Oct-2016, 20:30)Elztalbiker Wrote: Have heard D 400 for over 2 years at Home with Gauder Akustik Cassiano. Have reduced to 220 with better results over all. My wife feeling the same! Bit Smileys

Wow! That is exciting.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Oct-2016, 20:08)Jaxwired Wrote:
(18-Oct-2016, 02:31)mdconnelly Wrote: In truth, the existing Experts are exceptional products.  Jump off the merry-go-round and you can be a very happy camper for a long time.   As long as you stop reading DevialetChat,  stop reading about what new and awesome technologies are available. stop thinking there's something better out there.  Because there will always be something better, and it will cost a significant chunk of change.... and we will want it.

To be honest, I highly doubt that anyone will be able to hear a clear jump in sound quality.  I strongly doubt that the new pro line even sounds different enough for us to detect with any consistency.  Of course, I still want to upgrade anyway.    Rolleyes

I will say my 400 continues to leave me wanting nothing.  My only real concern with skipping the upgrade is being left behind permanently missing future improvements.

I've had a 220 Pro now for about 5 days - still breaking in.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't hear the difference.  Bass,  extension,  dimensionality... Hey, it's not night and day, but spend a bit of time with it and I'm certain you'll notice the improvements.  It's still the Devialet house sound quality we've known and loved. Can't quite imagine someone loving a 200 or 400 but not liking the Pro version even more (well, other than not liking the upgrade price ;-)

I still have my 200 and plan to do some comparisons in the next few days once I feel the 220 Pro breakin is largely complete.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
You doubt that anyone will be able to hear a clear jump in sound quality? There is a report on this forum of a blind test between an O'dA and a 1000 Pro. In theory, these two should be the hardest to separate, but the 1000 Pro came out on top. (and in my experience blind testing is a lot harder than you might think, this is a significant result)

I have only listened to the 1000 Pro vs the D800, but for me the Pro was a clear step up, a much bigger step up than going from D250 to D800.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Oct-2016, 11:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Don't forget you'll (allegedly) have to add 1,500 Euro to the current price of the pro once the streamer board comes out.

Where did you read/hear this?

AFAIK Devialet has only mentioned the OS/streamer board has a "value" (not price) of €1500 (of course to tempt us to upgrade soon) and it will be free for Expert upgrades as long as one orders the upgrade before 25-12-2016.

It's also mentioned to be a free upgrade for all new Pro's on the Devialet website, I quote:

"Among other major improvements, Expert Pro will be able to integrate the new Devialet OS in 2017. A free upgrade will soon open the path for many uses of dematerialised music such as UPnP/DLNA."
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(20-Oct-2016, 23:47)Antoine Wrote:
(20-Oct-2016, 11:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Don't forget you'll (allegedly) have to add 1,500 Euro to the current price of the pro once the streamer board comes out.

Where did you read/hear this?

AFAIK Devialet has only mentioned the OS/streamer board has a "value" (not price) of €1500 (of course to tempt us to upgrade soon) and it will be free for Expert upgrades as long as one orders the upgrade before 25-12-2016.

It's also mentioned to be a free upgrade for all new Pro's on the Devialet website, I quote:

"Among other major improvements, Expert Pro will be able to integrate the new Devialet OS in 2017. A free upgrade will soon open the path for many uses of dematerialised music such as UPnP/DLNA."

Seems like it's not my best week...

I took the 'free if you buy before Dec 2016', to mean 'not free if you buy after', but I guess that's just the upgrade then and will always be free with new purchases?

As an afterthought, that doesn't make complete sense - if the upgrade window ends in December and non-pros can't use the card, and buyers of new pros get it free at any time, exactly who does that leave that would have the option to buy it in 2017?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

No problem of course I just thought I'd check if you'd had heard or read anything else. Smile

We'll have to wait and see what Devialet does after 25-12 with the upgrade program. I don't think they'll stop it but perhaps they'll increase the price or indeed make the OS board an optional, separate purchase. It could also be they'll not change a thing and the Os board stays 'free', it's still Devialet we're talking about here. Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(20-Oct-2016, 20:30)Elztalbiker Wrote: Have heard D 400 for over 2 years at Home with Gauder Akustik Cassiano. Have reduced to 220 with better results over all. My wife feeling the same! Bit Smileys

Very interesting. Wonder how much better the 440 would be, versus the 400...
(21-Oct-2016, 17:55)nicoludio Wrote:

Very interesting.  Wonder how much better the 440 would be, versus the 400...