Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones and the Devialet
So it appears that I am using my headphones more and more.
I am curious as to what the Devialet does in my set up. So I use roon, the core of which is on my lap top at present
I have the pre outs configured for HP use as per the Devialet guidelines.
I then have the Auralic Taurus mk2 headphone amp connected to the 200 by RCA connection.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but what exactly is the Devialet doing? In my set up is it only acting as the DAC?
Any guidance appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
In your configuration, the Devialet is receiving a stream from the Roon Core (via the RAAT or AIR protocol), extracting the audio data in digital form and converting it to stereo analog which is output on the pre-amp outputs. So I'd say it is acting as a DAC with a network input.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(12-Apr-2019, 13:58)thumb5 Wrote: In your configuration, the Devialet is receiving a stream from the Roon Core (via the RAAT or AIR protocol), extracting the audio data in digital form and converting it to stereo analog which is output on the pre-amp outputs.  So I'd say it is acting as a DAC with a network input.

Excellent Ian , thank you . It sounds excellent and I was not sure if it was also acting as the amp too and then feeding the Taurus headphone amp
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just a nit pick, but to my knowledge, in that particular case, rca out, it is not using the ‘magic wire’ DAC because this one is fully part of the ADH complex.
I believe that the Devialet has an otter DAC for covering the analog out situations.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Yes, that's my understanding too, Jean-Marie.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Interesting. It sounds great but then I do not have a lot of experience to compare it with. The reason I am asking is that I may be able to get a better HP set up with a dedicated Headphone DAC/amp and taking the Dev out of the equation.
I am using my headphones more and more these days, so I may look at other options.

I am not sure the Devialet is doing a great deal in my HP set up then.
Thanks for the posts guys.
Did you try to go straight to headphones from the devialet via a rca to hp jack?

I don’t know how this would sound as I’ve never tried it, but understand it’s an option.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-an-Expert-
(14-Apr-2019, 04:48)mmorrison55 Wrote: Did you try to go straight to headphones from the devialet via a rca to hp jack?

I don’t know how this would sound as I’ve never tried it, but understand it’s an option.

Yes I did try this but the dedicated HP amp produced better results from what i remember.
(14-Apr-2019, 08:53)Womaz Wrote:
(14-Apr-2019, 04:48)mmorrison55 Wrote: Did you try to go straight to headphones from the devialet via a rca to hp jack?

Yes I did try this but the dedicated HP amp produced better results from what i remember.

Which is not really surprising since the analog out has been designed primarily for driving a line level input, not a pair of headphones. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I guess I am now wondering if I can improve on this set up. It sounds incredible to me but I have not tried that many HP set ups.
Over the last few years a large proportion of my listening is through headphones .
So would I be better off with a different DAC and taking the Devialet out of the HP set up.
The HEK and Auralic are a great set up so do they deserve a better DAC.

Any guidance as always welcome