Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphones with 220?
Does/has anyone used a phono input as a pre to use for headphone use? I am not a serious headphone user but would like the occasional use from time to time. I recently noticed it's possible to select an input on my expert pro 220 as a pre in order to use headphones.

Does anyone know or has done this and what is needed? Huh I have a pair of cans with 1/4 jack with a mini jack plug so can use either.
(13-Nov-2018, 10:27)kompressor Wrote: Does/has anyone used a phono input as a pre to use for headphone use? I am not a serious headphone user but would like the occasional use from time to time. I recently noticed it's possible to select an input on my expert pro 220 as a pre in order to use headphones.

Does anyone know or has done this and what is needed? Huh I have a pair of cans with 1/4 jack with a mini jack plug so can use either.

You need to configure a pre output, You can’t do this with the phono input, but any other of the four available inputs that you have can be used as a pre out. You have to configure the speakers to mute, without muting the output.  To do this, choose the pair you want to use and in the settings page for them, choose "Preamplified Output (Stereo)" then at the bottom of the page, uncheck the circle "Mute applies to this output" You’ll then need to get hold of an adapter to go from twin RCA to 1/4 inch stereo jack. Either that or use a dedicated headphone amp on the RCAs.
Hope this helps, shout if not!

Edit: I’ve got the necessary adapters that I no longer use, so you can have them if you like.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(13-Nov-2018, 11:12)Axel Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 10:27)kompressor Wrote: Does/has anyone used a phono input as a pre to use for headphone use? I am not a serious headphone user but would like the occasional use from time to time. I recently noticed it's possible to select an input on my expert pro 220 as a pre in order to use headphones.

You need to configure a pre output, You can’t do this with the phono input, but any other of the four available inputs that you have can be used as a pre out. You have to configure the speakers to mute, without muting the output.  To do this, choose the pair you want to use and in the settings page for them, choose "Preamplified Output (Stereo)" then at the bottom of the page, uncheck the circle "Mute applies to this output" You’ll then need to get hold of an adapter to go from twin RCA to 1/4 inch stereo jack. Either that or use a dedicated headphone amp on the RCAs.

Edit: I’ve got the necessary adapters that I no longer use, so you can have them if you like.

Great thanks for that. If I take the route you first describe, going without the headphone amp, what can I expect re: sound quality? I don't really want to spend on a headphone amp for the occasional need to use headphones.
Is it possible to select mono and use one RCA phono to mini jack adaptor or would I just get the sound in mono?
(13-Nov-2018, 12:13)kompressor Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 11:12)Axel Wrote:

Great thanks for that. If I take the route you first describe, going without the headphone amp, what can I expect re: sound quality? I don't really want to spend on a headphone amp for the occasional need to use headphones.
Is it possible to select mono and use one RCA phono to mini jack adaptor or would I just get the sound in mono?

The sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as using a headphone amp. The good thing about it is, that it’s cheap to try it and if you don’t like it, you haven’t lost out. You might well find it adequate for occasional use. 
Yes, you could use one output and different adapters, but as you rightly say, only mono output, which, TBH, is pretty pointless really.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(13-Nov-2018, 15:08)Axel Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 12:13)kompressor Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 11:12)Axel Wrote: You need to configure a pre output, You can’t do this with the phono input, but any other of the four available inputs that you have can be used as a pre out. You have to configure the speakers to mute, without muting the output.  To do this, choose the pair you want to use and in the settings page for them, choose "Preamplified Output (Stereo)" then at the bottom of the page, uncheck the circle "Mute applies to this output" You’ll then need to get hold of an adapter to go from twin RCA to 1/4 inch stereo jack. Either that or use a dedicated headphone amp on the RCAs.

The sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as using a headphone amp. The good thing about it is, that it’s cheap to try it and if you don’t like it, you haven’t lost out. You might well find it adequate for occasional use. 
Yes, you could use one output and different adapters, but as you rightly say, only mono output, which, TBH, is pretty pointless really.

Can the AES/EBU input be used?
(13-Nov-2018, 16:54)kompressor Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 15:08)Axel Wrote: The sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as using a headphone amp. The good thing about it is, that it’s cheap to try it and if you don’t like it, you haven’t lost out. You might well find it adequate for occasional use. 

Can the AES/EBU input be used?
Not as far as I’m aware, as it can’t be configured as an output.
South Coast England
Axel is correct. From what I remember you can’t use AES/EBU.
I had the same dilemma when I was setting up my HPs. I was hoping I could get rid of my headphone amp as I thought the Devialet would be just as good. It wasn’t and I kept the headphone amp.
I guess it depends on how much you use it .
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Headphon...elp-please

This thread may help
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The thing to bear in mind is that the pre-out is (probably) not designed to drive a (very) low impedance load. So if you're using it to drive headphones, you'll probably get better results the higher the impedance of the 'phones. For low-impedance 'phones a purpose-built headphone amp will do a better job, as @Womaz said.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Okay have the phones working, but how do I mute the sound from the speakers? When I mute on the app or remote it mutes the speakers and the phones, which kinda defeats the object.