Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hegel H 590
@pemooo Thanks for sharing your thoughts, lets us know how you progress over time if you decide to the the dual mono route. That's what I did. 200 to 400 to 440....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(01-Nov-2019, 15:28)Finn Wrote: Hello all.  Just a Question  is there Anybody who have heard  Hegel H 590 , Up aginst devialet expert model 220 Pro , and What is the impression about devialet  220 Pro vs Hegel H 590 .  Rolleyes

I did that comparison end of April.
See my post here:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Lyngdorf...6#pid83956
Mac Mini - HQPlayer 4 - USB - D1000 - Gauder Akustik Cassiano
Isolated cables made from conductive material
I did a bit of a flying visit to the Bristol Sound and Vision show yesterday, basically I wanted to visit because GIK were exhibiting for the first time, and I was interested in taking a look at some of their products and having a chat with them regarding some ideas and questions that I have. This much worked out well, in fact I am very glad I made the effort to go. Lets put it this way, I can look at GIK products on their website and pick the style and colour that I prefer, but when I see the actual products in the flesh, it is a different colour and style that really like. The internet is great but it has its limitations, if I had selected products on-line rather than seeing for real, I would not have made the best choices.

Anyway, Hegel were at the show and were doing a very interesting demo. They had a relatively small room, with the Hegel H190, H390 and H590 and a pair of KEF LS50's, they were playing a couple of tracks and then swapping the amps for comparison. When I was there I heard the H590, then the H190, and for me it was very interesting to hear the difference between the two, even with the relatively modest, perhaps price inappropriate, KEF LS50's.

I have to say that I thought that the H590 LS50 combo was actually amongst the very best sounding rooms in the show, quite impressive. Also, subjectively to my ears after a very quick listen, I would have to say that the H590 is quite a step up from the H190. The H190 LS50 combo was perfectly competent, but when H590 powered the system had some real magic, excellent resolution, speed and clarity. In fact, it struck me as sounding rather Devialet like! OK - this was in a converted hotel room at a show, so I cannot comment in detail, but when I read these comparative reviews of Devialet versus Hegel and positive stuff about the H590, I can now see why, to my ears it sounded like a really good product. It is now very clear to me why people are making the comparison to Devialet, they are both up there as excellent integrated amps for the money.

During the demo the Hegel rep made an interesting comment, he said that it has a fairly basic case, nothing expensive, as they like to focus the cost on the electronics to maximise value for money. An interesting comment I thought, as at a quick look the Hegel looks ok to me. A good product I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Feb-2020, 12:00)Confused Wrote: In fact, it struck me as sounding rather Devialet like!  OK - this was in a converted hotel room at a show, so I cannot comment in detail, but when I read these comparative reviews of Devialet versus Hegel and positive stuff about the H590, I can now see why, to my ears it sounded like a really good product.  It is now very clear to me why people are making the comparison to Devialet, they are both up there as excellent integrated amps for the money.
I have also been favorably impressed with Hegel and cross-shopped the brand before buying my first Devialet (180, which became a 200 through a firmware update).  There is lots of innovation in the H590, including the company writing its own proprietary operating system, special attention to Ethernet implementation, upgraded USB port, and, probably most important, a new DAC design.  For those interested in MQA, Hegel has developed a technology that permits separate signal paths for MQA and non-MQA music (clever, I must admit, even if you don't like MQA).  As for a comparison with Devialet, Hegel's packaging is certainly pedestrian.  Plus, one reviewer observed that the H590 approaches the Devialet’s performance envelope but never quite matches it.  Some cold comfort there!  I say cold comfort only because I am disappointed in Devialet's lack of attention to Expert series development. 

We all know that our firmware is more than a year old and there were promised developments that have not happened.  Plus, competitors are not standing still.  Witness the upcoming NAD Masters M33 that will feature the new Purifi amplification module and Dirac LIVE room correction.

Whilst I still like my Devialet and its sound, I really hope the company pays some needed attention to the Expert line before we are outdated.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I did sold my D440 pros to one that owned Hegel 590 and B&W 803 D3 and I did ask him after some day if he did like the D440 pro more that the H590 and he told me he loved the sound from the D440´s and newer had so fun with a amp. Compared to H590 he did get better low end with the D440 pro! But that can have ben just the effect of having som new component!
Devialet 1000 PRO CI, Franco Serblin Ktema. Power Distribution Purist Audio Design AC Extension LE, Purist Audio Neptune speaker cable, Purist Audio Neptune Diamond power cable to Devialet, Purist Audio Aquila Digital Power Cord to Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Purist Audio Dominus digital For link between Devialet 1000 PRO. Purist Audio CAT 7, AVID - Sequel SP with SME 309 and Soundsmith - The Voice, IsoAcoustics Gaia II , Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Router with Ferrum Hypsos PSU.
I posted this a while back, although I didn't compare the Hegel directly to a 440 Pro I did at least make the comparison on speakers I am hugely familiar with. The Hegel impressed but the Vitus was better.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK