Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 vs. Devialet Expert 220 Pro
Hey,

I have heard all amps against DEV 220 with speakers
Focal Sopra 2
PMC TwentyFive 26
Gauder Akustik Cassiano MKII
Harbeth 40.2
B&W 804

The 220 will give you the most details in a neutral art with unreached crisp and bass performance.

The others amps are a bit wärmer with less details.

The Hegel have a more accurate space staging.

A plus is the room correction Lyngdorf 3400, which is depended of your room acoustics. It could be a healer.

This is not invariably the case.

Please try it before purchase..

Cheers

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(23-Apr-2019, 16:38)Womaz Wrote: An interesting thread for me as I may be considering moving away from Devialet too. I also have the 200 and fear that the support and upgrades will just stop . Although for me it still sounds amazing
I have been reading a lot about 4 possible replacements , but at various price points. The 3400 is one of them. It is a lovely looking piece of kit .
The others are the Naim Uniti Nova, the Hegel 590 and the Ayre EX8.
The Hegel is the one I would love to go for if I make the plunge.
Thanks for sharing your impressions

Interestingly, the integrated amps that you are looking were on my list, too, until I made the plunge for the Lyngdorf TDAi-3400.  I decided to leave the Devialet camp (though one day I might return Undecided ) for two basic reasons: 1) I was disappointed (perhaps unreasonably so) that Devialet wouldn't continue to provide complimentary upgrades to the original Expert series and, further, considered the tariff to do so too high) and 2) I wanted more flexibility with my amp and set-up, particularly room correction.  Knowing that Peter Lyngdorf was one of the pioneers behind the famed Millennium amplifier and that he and his company had worked on digital amps for a long time, and that the company's room correction is not only highly regarded but dead simple to implement, I scratched my itch.  I was lucky to find a second-hand unit from someone who have moved from a D200 to the Lyngdorf but then decided he wanted to go to a tube set up.  I've given my impressions on the Lyngdorf but still have some critical listening ahead of me.  I really liked my time with the D200 and never had one single problem with the amp.  I also believe the SAM functionality is terrific: first on my Atohm GT1s and then my Vivid Oval 1.5s.  Anyway, Womaz, good hunting!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I had a TACT/Lyngdorf Millennium MK3 before I bought my first Devialet D-Premier which was a huge step up in SQ.
There were lots of upgrades (some free with firmware, some not free with hardware) which always was an improvement.
I have never heard of any upgrade of Lyngdorf amps. But maybe at least the SQ has improved since the Millennium...
(23-Apr-2019, 22:42)Flashman Wrote:
(23-Apr-2019, 16:38)Womaz Wrote: An interesting thread for me as I may be considering moving away from Devialet too. I also have the 200 and fear that the support and upgrades will just stop . Although for me it still sounds amazing
I have been reading a lot about 4 possible replacements , but at various price points. The 3400 is one of them. It is a lovely looking piece of kit .

Interestingly, the integrated amps that you are looking were on my list, too, until I made the plunge for the Lyngdorf TDAi-3400.  I decided to leave the Devialet camp (though one day I might return Undecided ) for two basic reasons: 1) I was disappointed (perhaps unreasonably so) that Devialet wouldn't continue to provide complimentary upgrades to the original Expert series and, further, considered the tariff to do so too high) and 2) I wanted more flexibility with my amp and set-up, particularly room correction.  Knowing that Peter Lyngdorf was one of the pioneers behind the famed Millennium amplifier and that he and his company had worked on digital amps for a long time, and that the company's room correction is not only highly regarded but dead simple to implement, I scratched my itch.  I was lucky to find a second-hand unit from someone who have moved from a D200 to the Lyngdorf but then decided he wanted to go to a tube set up.  I've given my impressions on the Lyngdorf but still have some critical listening ahead of me.  I really liked my time with the D200 and never had one single problem with the amp.  I also believe the SAM functionality is terrific: first on my Atohm GT1s and then my Vivid Oval 1.5s.  Anyway, Womaz, good hunting!

I think it will take a lot for me to move away from Devialet as its the best piece of kit I have ever had. It also made me look at the rest of my system and upgrade that too. I could even end up going down the 220 Pro route if I do decide to upgrade. To be honest though at present I listen to headphones more and more as I have new neighbours ;-)
The Hegel amp is a hefty 9K here in the UK and that is a lot to spend when you are not unhappy with your current set up. Like you though i am concerned about the lack of support we may get in the future.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(25-Apr-2019, 11:50)Womaz Wrote:
(23-Apr-2019, 22:42)Flashman Wrote:

I think it will take a lot for me to move away from Devialet as its the best piece of kit I have ever had. It also made me look at the rest of my system and upgrade that too. I could even end up going down the 220 Pro route if I do decide to upgrade. To be honest though at present I listen to headphones more and more as I have new neighbours ;-)
The Hegel amp is a hefty 9K here in the UK and that is a lot to spend when you are not unhappy with your current set up. Like you though i am concerned about the lack of support we may get in the future.
Your sentiments echo mine.  As mentioned, I might revert eventually to the 220 Pro.  There's something about the Devialet sound and performance that is tough to beat.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I'm considering to leave Devialet behind, mainly because I am sick of their support and for Devialet breaking their promise to keep on delivering updates to the Expert series. I own a D800 and seven weeks ago the companion unit suddenly started to smell burned. After I contacted support it took Devialet nearly three weeks to confirm, that this is a warranty case, and four weeks to send me an empty box for shipping. Finally, they sent me a box with a wrong soft inlay; it was for a 200/220 and did not fit my 250. Communication with the support is a little bit frustrating, to say the least: they seem to read emails not very carefully and often answer questions only, if you ask them twice. Taking into account, that I already spent more than 20k EUR for products of this company, I am not happy with the support at all.
I thought about upgrading to D1000, but to be honest, why should I throw 8k EUR to them?

Yes, I still like the sound quality. But against this background I am starting to check alternatives.
As a consequence I am going to audition a Hegel H590 in direct comparison to a Devialet 440 pro, just to see if I like the sound signature of the Hegel and how it compares to the - very pure - Devialet sound. I am really curious ...
Mac Mini - HQPlayer 4 - USB - D1000 - Gauder Akustik Cassiano
Isolated cables made from conductive material
(25-Apr-2019, 19:41)mobaer Wrote: As a consequence I am going to audition a Hegel H590 in direct comparison to a Devialet 440 pro, just to see if I like the sound signature of the Hegel and how it compares to the - very pure - Devialet sound. I am really curious ...

The Hegel gets very good reviews.  Keep us posted on the comparison.
I auditioned the Hegel H590 in direct comparison to a D220 Expert Pro on Dynaudio speakers (w/o SAM). The aim of the procedure was to find out the general differences between the Devialet and the Hegel sound, i.e. if the Hegel is as neutral and pure as the Devialet, if it adds a certain signature to the music and ... if I like it, of course.
My time was limited, so I just brought the following music, which I know very well.
- Mozart Sonatas for keyboard and violin (Gary Cooper and Rachel Podger, excellent recording from 2004), Sonatas in F Major, 1. set
- Midnight at Notre Dame, Organ transcriptions from Oliver Latry, recording from 2004, Bach "Jesu bleibet meine Freude" and Rachmaninov, Prélude op. 3 no. 2
- The Ballad of John and Yoko, Beatles, Past Masters album, remastered version from 2009

First I listened all four pieces on the Hegel H590, then in reverse order on the Devialet, and then again on the Hegel.
My impressions were in short:
Much more room presentation on the Hegel, especially the presentation of the Mozart sonata was more 3-dimensional. Same detail on the Devialet, but more flat stage.
Same for the organ recording in Notre Dame. On the Hegel you could hear, that the organ was played in a big church; less so on the Devialet. Moreover, the very loud and low notes from the Rachmaninov Prélude were much cleaner on the Hegel than on the Devialet. I assume, this is due to the fact, that the Hegel has twice as much power as the Devialet and therefore is more stable. It would have been better to compare to a Devialet 440, I guess, but that was not available. Same for the bass on the "Ballad of John and Yoko". John Lennons voice was pronounced and in the foreground on the Hegel; on the Devialet John Lennon seemed in line or even behind with the instruments.

At the bottom line, in this setup I liked the Hegel more than Devialet 220. Still a comparison to a 440 would be advisable.
Definitely, I will audition the Hegel at home on my speakers in comparison to my D800.
The 590 actually sits right in between the 220 pro and 440 for price.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Right. I think you get better sound for the money with the Hegel. And without knowing anything about the Hegel company, I dare to say, you’ll get better support than from Devialet ;-)
However, in my eyes the Devialet looks much nicer than the Hegel (the typical heavy black block of hifi gear)