Poll: How many files (tracks) in your digital music library?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1 to 3000
6.90%
10 6.90%
3000 to 6000
6.90%
10 6.90%
6000 to 10000
9.66%
14 9.66%
10000 to 15000
11.72%
17 11.72%
15000 to 20000
10.34%
15 10.34%
20000 to 30000
11.72%
17 11.72%
30000 to 50000
15.86%
23 15.86%
50000 to 100000
13.10%
19 13.10%
100000 +
11.03%
16 11.03%
I do not have a digital music library
2.76%
4 2.76%
Total 145 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How big is your music library
Jnan_devi recently posted that he has a small one.  Mine is indeed a lot larger, in fact I used to think it was somewhat above average, but some time on the Roon forum has made me realise that it is in fact nothing special.

It is a fair assumption that the majority of Devialet owners will be reasonably serious about their music, so I thought it would be interesting to take a snap shot of what sort of library size is typical.

There are of course a lot of variables here.  I do know of one ex-colleague who had a massive digital library, the trouble is that the vast majority of his files had been downloaded illegally (for free), and to be honest he is no great music lover, he just likes to have every album from a large number of well known artists.  Another factor is the rise of music streaming services, if you have subscribed to Tidal, Qobuz or similar, you might feel that there is little point purchasing music anymore.  Most of my digital files are CD rips, from CD's purchased at a not inconsiderable expense over the years, although more recently I have bought quite a few second hand from the internet, at staggeringly low prices.  Also from a personal perspective, a significant percentage of my music is on vinyl, in fact I was deliberately late to the switch over from vinyl to CD, in part due to my part time DJ'ing activities at the time.  I have no idea how many tracks I have on vinyl, they are a little trickier to count than the digital ones.  (I might have a go at counting them one day)

So how big is yours?  And no fibbing or exaggerating chaps!  If it is small, own up!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I guess mine is average but it's growing as I age...who would have thought.

My original +/- 600CD's all ripped in AIFF.

Every song that's ever been in the Dutch Top 40 from 1965 to 2006 in MP3 format. A gift from a mate of mine in Holland when I visited. Some are ripped / copied from vinyl and sound actually quite ok.

300Gb of MP3s that another mate of mine scored on an oil rig. The 'original' source was a DJ who made a copy from the radio station's hard drives before he left them.

A few hundred CD's ripped from a very good friend of mine who left her collection to another mate of mine in her will. I ripped all of them for him and kept a copy.

I also have all my mate's ripped CD's and he has mine so if his or my house burns down we don't loose our music.

As you can see, I have a hell of a lot of illegally obtained music. That is bad Sad  but there's a plus side. First, most of that illegal music isn't to my taste and I wouldn't have bought it anyway so the artist isn't loosing out. Second, and this is why I don't feel bad at all about it, I have found the odd gem and then went on to buy more music from the same artist. So there the artist wins. That is good Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Just snuck into the category with 15,355.
A lot of this is our historical CD collection of 800ish albums that was ripped (but not a lot of the older stuff played to be honest), and a fair amount if stuff on a backup NAS that stays off a lot of the time and I never miss what's on there.
I'm more likely to just discover and play most new material from streaming and/or radio. Once I've gone that route I have to really like it to buy.

Mostly ALAC, some Highres and DSD, and I'm happy to say I have less than a handful of mp3 or other lossy or DRM, which have just been lost due to sounding rubbish and the stupidity of the whole DRM system.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Apr-2016, 08:21)Confused Wrote: So how big is yours?  And no fibbing or exaggerating chaps!  If it is small, own up!

Hang on.  How big's yours!? I'm guessing really big Wink Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

18.6 k but I haven't ripped all my CDs yet and I have quite a lot of vinyl too.

I am at the point of considering a NAS - probably the new Melco.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
i was always told its not the size thats important... its what you do with it that counts
and i enjoy playing with mine every day !!    Wink
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
I don't think the number of tracks is the best measure of the size of a library. The total disc file size is important, of course, but perhaps what really matters is the total playing time. Classical music tracks are generally much longer than pop tracks. Some of my CDs have only one very long track on them. And I have audio tracks of up to 90 minutes.
(03-Apr-2016, 08:29)JohnH Wrote: I don't think the number of tracks is the best measure of the size of a library. The total disc file size is important, of course, but perhaps what really matters is the total playing time.  Classical music tracks are generally much longer than pop tracks.  Some of my CDs have only one very long track on them.  And I have audio tracks of up to 90 minutes.

A good point!  I have just checked the playing time in my library, it ranges from 1 hour 16 minutes for an individual track, down to 9 seconds.  This is a very significant range.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(03-Apr-2016, 08:43)Confused Wrote:
(03-Apr-2016, 08:29)JohnH Wrote: I don't think the number of tracks is the best measure of the size of a library. The total disc file size is important, of course, but perhaps what really matters is the total playing time.  Classical music tracks are generally much longer than pop tracks.  Some of my CDs have only one very long track on them.  And I have audio tracks of up to 90 minutes.

A good point!  I have just checked the playing time in my library, it ranges from 1 hour 16 minutes for an individual track, down to 9 seconds.  This is a very significant range.

After I culled my library from rap and doubles iTunes tells me it's 88,444 songs, 252.5 days and 1,058.83Gb large. 80,000 of them never get played...
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Mine shows 6048 items ,23.2 days ,123.97 Gb.
This doesn't include podcasts.
The podcasts show 779 items ,42.1 days ,75.78 Gb.
This huge difference in days is due to the size of the podcasts,some of which are over 3hrs long.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2