Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just want to have a good old moan about Devialet
So here it is, the thread everyone has been yearning for.

If you want to have a good old moan about Devialet, this is the thread for you.  

In addition, I would say that it is fully acceptable to have a good old moan about pretty much anything here.  For example, maybe you are fed up with all the delusional types who are moaning about Devialet all the time and somehow expect Devialet to improve.  That's fair enough, moan away here. Maybe you are fed up with folk suggesting you are delusional, when actually you are personally quite cynical about everything, fair play, whinge away here to your hearts content.

The weather is terrible here at the moment, and the mornings are very dark, the evenings too.  It terrible, really quite bad.

On the plus side, listening to some music this afternoon on a cold and rainy day, and my little Devialet is sounding just sublime at the moment.  I mean, it is superb, truly exceptional.

The remote app was playing up a bit though, and I'm fed up with scrolling through Spotify, UPnP and so on when I just want to swap from digital to the hissy vinyl input.

Bloody Devialet, they are so useless, and their Twitter feed is nothing but Phantom marketing, and I want to change my configuration a little but the configurator is so buggy I am afraid to touch it.

Devialet, damn them forever, the useless sods.

(Back to some tunes now)  Angel
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Devialet's management are increasingly focusing their time & effort striking partnerships in the B2B channel - ref. Sky Soundbox, Belkin, and now car systems... meaning less & less time to spend on previous strategic priorities, like the Expert line.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/devial...r-speakers
Devialet Expert Pro 220, ATC SCM40 speakers, Pro-Ject Xtension 9 turntable, Chord Signature XL speaker cable
We often complain that Devialet sucks at customer communication. But I suspect what is closer to the truth is that they simply have nothing to tell us that we (Expert Pro owners) want to hear. I know, we keep hoping because, well, we all have a good bit invested, don't we? But when I see used Expert Pros selling for about a third of the MSRP, I gotta think Devialet is just letting the Expert Pro marketplace fade into the sunset. Strange business decision, but it seems to be what it is.

OK, got my moan out.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Alaw . You Are takling about things you have no idea of.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(12-Jan-2020, 22:22)alaw Wrote: If I had found this forum before I purchased my expert pro, I would probably have looked else where. Unbelievable what a load of unhappy moaners it harbors. No wonder Devialet try to ignore it. And Complaining about resale value is a new one... perhaps it’s lower than desired because potential buyers come here first?

Hey, I thought this was a safe-moaning zone ;-)  It would seem, @"alaw", that you've taken offense and expressed your own moan.   Fair enough. 

But to put things in perspective, I have been a very happy Devialet customer for well over 4 years and throughout that time,  a quite delighted and engaged participant of this forum.  For every "moan" here, you will most certainly find a ton of praise and support for the Expert and Expert Pro products.  I would not still be here if I didn't still love mine.  I simply expressed disappointment in Devialet's recent lack of effort & action, despite promises otherwise.    In truth, we all want to see Devialet re-engage in the Expert Pro product line.   It is their initial claim to fame and well-earned credibility and the reason we became ardent customers to begin with.   If a concern is voiced here then perhaps, through discussion and debate, it can be better understood, articulated and ultimately provided as feedback to Devialet.   

So, with respect to your "load of unhappy moaners" characterization of DevialetChat.... well, I must disagree.   DevialetChat has been a godsend of helpful and engaged customers all trying to creatively support each other and the Devialet product line.  But if my comment contributed to your negative perception of this forum, then I do apologize.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(12-Jan-2020, 22:22)alaw Wrote: If I had found this forum before I purchased my expert pro, I would probably have looked else where. Unbelievable what a load of unhappy moaners it harbors. No wonder Devialet try to ignore it. And Complaining about resale value is a new one... perhaps it’s lower than desired because potential buyers come here first?
I don't come here often because of all the complaining.I am completely happy with my amp. I use it hours every day. I configured it the way i wanted it years ago and haven't changed it. I don't see this as a disadvantage since I have never changed another amp' configuration in 50 years of owning hifi Smile
I believe it is musically transparent and adequately powerful. I most like the rotary volume control on the remote.
I have old Phantoms (from first batch) which don'y have blutooth so can't use OS2 but other than that a very, very content customer.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(13-Jan-2020, 18:15)f1eng Wrote:
I don't come here often because of all the complaining.I am completely happy with my amp. I use it hours every day. I configured it the way i wanted it years ago and haven't changed it. I don't see this as a disadvantage since I have never changed another amp' configuration in 50 years of owning hifi Smile
I believe it is musically transparent and adequately powerful. I most like the rotary volume control on the remote.
I have old Phantoms (from first batch) which don'y have blutooth so can't use OS2 but other than that a very, very content customer.

I join in with exactly the same feeling based on 9 years experience with Devialet Expert in various configurations.  Truly great piece of engineering which over the years has provided me a great lot of strong musical emotions. I never regretted my investment. Not one single minute. The world and Devialet are not perfect and there will always be moaners around. Let them be happy...
Pro 1000, High Fidelity speaker cables, B&W 800d2 bi-amplified, Niagara 3000, Nuprime SW8, rj45 Vovox Excelsus, Qobuz Sublime, JRiver 27
(13-Jan-2020, 18:15)f1eng Wrote:
I am also satisfied with my amp within the limitations I use it and the compromise I have made on Phono input because the standard phonostage is noisy and not representative of the quality product it is supposed to be.

Having said that, we need to get real. When Mathieu Pernot (Devialet Expert head engineer) attended Oxford Audio Consultants on 17th July last year, he presented as a very demoralised company employee and I suspected he was sympathetic to some of the challenges about the Expert range he received, albeit he had to keep to the company line. He did however reveal that the Expert line was not selling world wide in the numbers needed for good company profit and made a comparison with large volumes of Phantom  sales. I cannot recall the figures he quoted but what he said made it clear to me that the Expert range would not be a priority. Ian @thumb5 was our scribe at that meet and I’ve checked his report which centred on a set of questions asked on this forum. It maybe that he recorded the statistics Mathieu gave at that event and can explain in more statistical detail. I hope so, because what Mathieu said made it very clear to me where Devialet’s priority will lie. If the Expert range does not turn the profit their other products do, no wonder all is quiet on the Expert upgrade/bug fixing/development/communication front.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
I am one of those who are mostly "content" with what I have. If I consider my 440 a as a static all purpose amplifier like a Naim integrated or something, it is a perfectly good amp.

However, considering that after several years of use we were lured into a multi thousand dollars upgrade, the biggest motivation was a promise a new "Devialet OS" with many new features to come, implying a living growing system closer to an upgradable computer like that of a TESLA. Those of us who bit our lips to pay for the upgrade was paying to avoid being "left behind", and ready for the latest and greatest promises from Devialet.

Then immediately after that, radio silence for years, like they have abandoned the ship.

To me that is bait and switch, i feel betrayed to be honest.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(13-Jan-2020, 21:38)Greg Wrote: ...
Having said that, we need to get real. When Mathieu Pernot (Devialet Expert head engineer) attended Oxford Audio Consultants on 17th July last year, he presented as a very demoralised company employee and I suspected he was sympathetic to some of the challenges about the Expert range he received, albeit he had to keep to the company line. He did however reveal that the Expert line was not selling world wide in the numbers needed for good company profit and made a comparison with large volumes of Phantom  sales. I cannot recall the figures he quoted but what he said made it clear to me that the Expert range would not be a priority. Ian @thumb5 was our scribe at that meet and I’ve checked his report which centred on a set of questions asked on this forum. It maybe that he recorded the statistics Mathieu gave at that event and can explain in more statistical detail. I hope so, because what Mathieu said made it very clear to me where Devialet’s priority will lie. If the Expert range does not turn the profit their other products do, no wonder all is quiet on the Expert upgrade/bug fixing/development/communication front.

@Greg: the figures I think you're searching for are in @Confused's post following the event:

Quote:One interesting statistic came up in conversation, apparently there are about 7000 Expert amps sold, the Phantom & Reactor range is now heading over 100,000 units and counting.  Also consider that the Expert is the older product and hence has been available longer.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK