Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal streamer (Devialet Expert) at the end of 2016
I was reading: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...ty-varies/ and it states that audio USB (isosynchronous) has no error correction. So a builtin server/renderer would make all USB problems and the ways of ameliorating these (expensive cables, filters, reclockers) less relevant if the transmission allows for error correction and internal clocking. I listened at the recent High End to the Totaldac d1 integral-headphone a DAC with builtin server and was quite impressed.
I guess the sonic benefit will depend on how that server will be implemented. I am still not convinced that upgrading my D-premier to D250 was a money well spent so I will be hesitant with any further upgrade!
(01-Jun-2016, 00:07)Music or sound Wrote: I was reading: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...ty-varies/ and it states that audio USB (isosynchronous) has no error correction. So a builtin server/renderer would make all USB problems and the ways of ameliorating these (expensive cables, filters, reclockers) less relevant if the transmission allows for error correction and internal clocking. I listened at the recent High End to the Totaldac d1 integral-headphone a DAC with builtin server and was quite impressed.
I guess the sonic benefit will depend on how that server will be implemented. I am still not convinced that upgrading my D-premier to D250 was a money well spent so I will be hesitant with any further upgrade!

MoS

Sorry to go a wee bit of subject, but I have a pair of D-Premiers and haven't bothered with the D250 upgrade (twice the cost). Now if there was a new beaut Hardware upgrade to come out that I could then do with my D-Premiers then that would be something to look at, but would expect at least increased power board, new DAC and inclusion of streamer to be a minimum to tempt me to do the upgrade.

At present I'm really happy with my D-Premiers, and not really sure what a pair of D250's would add to the SQ (for the bang for buck).
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
In hindsight I wish I had never upgraded my D-Premier. I no longer use the crappy WiFi/ethernet or USB ports of the D250 and don't use SAM as well so now it's a real waste of the >3000 euro.

This new rumoured upgrade has to be something REALLY special for me to even consider upgrading again. Like ADH special. (ADH for me still being their only "birthright", everything else they've produced is anything but special and often lacking quality) Thus far Devialet have proven nothing else to me than being extremely unreliable, not being customer centric, and having lousy software development skills. I'm extremely disappointed in this company. At this point I'd even be indifferent to see them go out of business.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Jun-2016, 17:50)Antoine Wrote: In hindsight I wish I had never upgraded my D-Premier. I no longer use the crappy WiFi/ethernet or USB ports of the D250 and don't use SAM as well so now it's a real waste of the >3000 euro.

This new rumoured upgrade has to be something REALLY special for me to even consider upgrading again. Like ADH special. (ADH for me still being their only "birthright", everything else they've produced is anything but special and often lacking quality) Thus far Devialet have proven nothing else to me than being extremely unreliable, not being customer centric, and having lousy software development skills. I'm extremely disappointed in this company. At this point I'd even be indifferent to see them go out of business.

I thought updating my D-Premiers was a waste of money too and regretted it. I have now updated to an Original d'Atelier though because of the lovely colour.

I think I am mad.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-Jun-2016, 17:50)Antoine Wrote: In hindsight I wish I had never upgraded my D-Premier. I no longer use the crappy WiFi/ethernet or USB ports of the D250 and don't use SAM as well so now it's a real waste of the >3000 euro.

I totally agree with Antoine's point of view. Notwithstanding the potentially superb SQ, Devialet have missed the mark with almost everything else. An incredibly crappy remote app, a ridiculous streaming solution, features like SAM that (for me) make the SQ worse, and a complete antipathy towards the game-changer that is Roon. I had hoped my D400 was a keeper, but now I am becoming resigned to the likelihood that it is quickly becoming obsolete.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Unique is an overused term, but I think Devialet is unique in the hifi industry in terms of its plus and minus points.

Forums do attract obsessives and I suggest DevialetChat is no exception, but my sense is that the level of dissatisfaction here is increasing quite a bit - with failures to address long standing issues like customer communication and AIR Mac and AIR Windows (and much more) being compounded by more recent things like the mysterious dealer conference and the leaks and the seeming "successor" to the 5 month old "best thing since sliced bread" Od'A.

The perverse thing is that most of this is easily addressed (and even the AIR problem seems addressed for some of us through AIR3 Mac)! Why create such dissatisfaction when the solutions are not particularly difficult?

I've used this example before but can you imagine a premium car brand allowing its business to head in this direction? And it is often the case that premium brands do attract a disproportionate share of obsessives and have to respond to those issues.

I suspect addressing this needs combined dealer activity rather than complaints from customers which, to a large degree, have not worked over the last two or three years.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(01-Jun-2016, 18:39)IanG-UK Wrote: Unique is an overused term, but I think Devialet is unique in the hifi industry in terms of its plus and minus points.

Forums do attract obsessives and I suggest DevialetChat is no exception, but my sense is that the level of dissatisfaction here is increasing quite a bit - with failures to address long standing issues like customer communication and AIR Mac and AIR Windows (and much more) being compounded by more recent things like the mysterious dealer conference and the leaks and the seeming "successor" to the 5 month old "best thing since sliced bread" Od'A.

The perverse thing is that most of this is easily addressed (and even the AIR problem seems addressed for some of us through AIR3 Mac)! Why create such dissatisfaction when the solutions are not particularly difficult?

I've used this example before but can you imagine a premium car brand allowing its business to head in this direction? And it is often the case that premium brands do attract a disproportionate share of obsessives and have to respond to those issues.

I suspect addressing this needs combined dealer activity rather than complaints from customers which, to a large degree, have not worked over the last two or three years.

Very well put, Ian, but I think that any of us who spend 5-figure sums or more in Great British Pounds "just" to listen to music are obsessives well before we join a forum  Big Grin
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(01-Jun-2016, 18:16)f1eng Wrote:

I thought updating my D-Premiers was a waste of money too and regretted it. I have now updated to an Original d'Atelier though because of the lovely colour.

I think I am mad.
Hey Frank - we're all a little bit mad. It's what makes this place so......distinctive Big Grin
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I'd call anyone spending money on an Expert series product after june 2013 mad. People spending money on any Expert series product in H1 2016 are just plain crazy and those buying an OdA in 2016 should be committed to a mental hospital! Wink Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Jun-2016, 21:22)Antoine Wrote: I'd call anyone spending money on an Expert series product after june 2013 mad. People spending money on any Expert series product in H1 2016 are just plain crazy and those buying an OdA in 2016 should be committed to a mental hospital! Wink Big Grin

That would be one great sounding mental hospital!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12