Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jriver and Devialet
I'm running JRiver v20 the latest build.

Every time I try playing a bit depth/different sample rate JRiver craps out using Ethernet Air and WASAPI. USB is fine. Has anyone else experienced this?
no problem for me. Are you using any DSP's ? What are your setting in the AIR driver ? Are you allowing exclusive application access ?
(22-Dec-2014, 16:19)Vivialet Wrote: no problem for me. Are you using any DSP's ? What are your setting in the AIR driver ? Are you allowing exclusive application access ?

WASAPI is enabled in the air driver. 16/44 is the default. I've tried various values for "When the device appears on the network", non make a difference.

v20 of JRMC does have a DSP Tag, I have it populated with a DSP preset that is empty. I have a few crappy 80s CDs that need a small bass boost so I have a DSP preset for that, but I wasn't playing any of those CDs.

Not sure how this would be the issue as going between different 16/44 tracks work fine with the No DSP preset being applied.
Apparently, for MAC, JRiver MC20 + Devialet AIR 2.1.3 has issues. (Tested both MACOS 10.10 and 10.9)

I just had a support ticket with Devialet and they have confirmed this.

After weeks of testing, I could not pin point issues with JRiver, but more of AIR, how it handles bitrate changes and buffering.

I am glad actually that Devialet admitted to this. Now waiting for a new version of AIR (2.1.4 BETA) which is arriving soon. Hopefully it does solve the issues.

I do not have any issues for PC versions though. It happened in all my Macs with similar results.
(26-Nov-2014, 14:08)Bryan1778 Wrote: I am using mc19 for window 7 USB to devialet. But recently I found that foobar2000 just sound better. I do not know the reason and Huh

Hi
I bought very recently a DAC (Audio-gd NFB-11) mainly because I wanted to use my laptop as a music server. This DAC disposes of an asynchronous USB connection which is internally powered.  I also have an Airport Express (AEX) (A1264). I was hoping that using this DAC connected via USB could be a major sound improvement compared to an optical connection (Toslink) from the AEX using iTunes limited to 16bit/44Khz.
As a replacement for iTunes I decided to give JRiver MC20 a try because it seemed very complete and I liked its user interface. I installed the necessary ASIO drivers that came with my new DAC and setup JRiver with  ASIO output, "internal volume" and volume at max for bitperfect transfer. When you hover with your mouse over the DSP-button (right upper corner of JRiver), you can see the details of the "audio path" (signal processing ). Mine gave the following information: "No changes are being made" and "direct connection". So the transfer to my DAC should be bitperfect.
Sound seemed at first OK. However, when I was playing some music I know very well (Nick Cave, The Boatman's call) I found that it did not sound right. So I played the same record using iTunes via AEX/optical at max volume (also bitperfect). To my surprise this sounded so much better. Via Toslink the soundstage was wider, the music had more detail, was cleaner and more precise.
I spent hours making the same comparison playing the following records (Nils Forgen, Acoustic Live; Kaki King, Everybody love you; Mick Harvey, Intoxicated man; ...) some at 16/44 others at 24/96 or 24/192; and I always came to the same conclusion. The toslink input on my DAC sounded way better than the USB input. 
This was a huge disappointment for me and I even considered selling my two weeks old "new" DAC because of its seemingly substandard USB input.
Then I thought I will give Foobar a chance not really believing this could make any difference. I was at first instance discouraged by its GUI and its steep "learning curve". I set up Foobar with the appropriate ASIO plug-ins and made sure all the settings were for bitperfect transfer.
To my surprise the USB  connection sounded now similar as the Toslink via AEX. I even had the impression that there was somehow less background noise using the USB connection. The time had come to really try some higher resolution tracks (Muddy Waters, Folk Singer). And yes, now the USB connection was clearly superior to the Toslink. For me this was a great relief.
I know my experience goes against mainstream ideas (saying "bits are bits" and that each audio player that is capable of bitperfect restitution sounds the same).   I really hesitated a long time before sharing my experience. Reading your short post, gave me the courage to do so.
I have no reasonable explanation why in my setup Foobar sounds so much better than JRiver, and I have not the technical knowledge nor the means to research this further in a more objective way.
I just felt the urge to share this and invite others to make their own investigations.
Thank you for reading this long post!
Now with the new 8.1 firmware, Devialet supports DSD. I am playing from an silent audio PC over USB and it sounds good. I am not sure however what the correct / best settings for JRiver are now to play DSD. Are there tips and the like out there for the best settings of both Jriver and Devialet?

Also, i am playing mostly SACD ISO files, wich is working fine within JRiver, however, i am not able to tag those so they will fit nicely within the rest of the collection. Is there a way tot do that, propably by converting them to DSF files, without loosing information?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(17-Jun-2015, 11:09)Bartype Wrote: Now with the new 8.1 firmware, Devialet supports DSD. I am playing from an silent audio PC over USB and it sounds good. I am not sure however what the correct / best settings for JRiver are now to play DSD. Are there tips and the like out there for the best settings of both Jriver and Devialet?

Also, i am playing mostly SACD ISO files, wich is working fine within JRiver, however, i am not able to tag those so they will fit nicely within the rest of the collection. Is there a way tot do that, propably by converting them to DSF files, without loosing information?

SACD via ISO? I wasn't aware that this is possible. Can you give me a couple of additional details as to how you have set this up?

I would also be curious as to the best settings for DSD ...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
First implementation of streaming FLAC to my 120 is a big disappointment. No doubt I have lots of troubleshooting and tweaking to do, but to me there's a simple truism that still continues: the effort in getting things to work right and stay working right takes away time from listening to and enjoying music. At this point, CDs ripped to FLAC are there as a backup to the CD itself.

What is disappointing? Sound quality for one. Not good at all. I kept finding myself turning the volume down, not up. Overall loss of clarity, depth, texture, and the bass which is normally so enjoyable is very fatiguing. Then there are the static crackles and occasionally stuttering playback. I'll get around to searching for solutions, but I listen to music to get a break from F@&k!^g around with technology.

JRiver 20 (Mac) playing FLAC from Synology DS1812+ via Ethernet.

Next stop I'll probably try WiFi to see what problems are eliminated with the Ethernet connection. In the meantime I'll be taking a break and enjoying CD.
Devialet 120 + Linn Ninka or KEF LS50
(06-Sep-2015, 20:51)CptHaddock Wrote: First implementation of streaming FLAC to my 120 is a big disappointment. No doubt I have lots of troubleshooting and tweaking to do, but to me there's a simple truism that still continues: the effort in getting things to work right and stay working right takes away time from listening to and enjoying music. At this point, CDs ripped to FLAC are there as a backup to the CD itself.

What is disappointing? Sound quality for one. Not good at all. I kept finding myself turning the volume down, not up.  Overall loss of clarity, depth, texture, and the bass which is normally so enjoyable is very fatiguing.  Then there are the static crackles and occasionally stuttering playback. I'll get around to searching for solutions, but I listen to music to get a break from F@&k!^g around with technology.

JRiver 20 (Mac) playing FLAC from Synology DS1812+ via Ethernet.

Next stop I'll probably try WiFi to see what problems are eliminated with the Ethernet connection. In the meantime I'll be taking a break and enjoying CD.

Just a thought, are your FLACs ripped with zero compression? That's the way I always rip mine using XLD on a Mac and the quality is excellent. I don't use JRiver.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
CD's?? Are those that black or silver disks from last century? Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands