Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
OK - First to say good work to @Hifi_swlon for being proactive with the list. Shy  Now for some disclosure from myself.... Confused

Last week I asked Alasdair about producing a list which could be sent to Mathieu prior to the event.  Alasdair seamed to think this was a good idea and asked for a list.  Last Sunday I compiled a list based on the questions posted in this thread and emailed as a MSWord document to Alasdair.  Apart from the very newest questions, my list is essentially the same as Hif_swlon's above.  I did fine tune the language very slightly, and changed the order to group CI / Pro questions, then legacy Expert, then Phantom.  The intent is identical though.

Regarding the latest questions, it seams to me that Q11 is more or less the same question as Q1?  The 20% computational power point is interesting, but otherwise the question is the same.  I also think Q13 could be expanded, so in addition, is it technically possible to increase the power of the 220, 440 and 1000?  (all interesting points considering the 130Pro appears to be a 140Pro now)

Obviously we are crossing over each other a little here, but no bad thing, it is all working in the same direction.  I have no idea if Alasdair has forwarded the list I made on Sunday to Mathieu, but for completeness and consistency, I will add the new questions to my list and forward again to Alasdair.

If @thumb5  and myself have hard copies of the list, Alasdair too, we should get somewhere between us, assuming Devialet are prepared to answer anything of course! Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
OK - I have morphed Hifi_swlon's good work into my own list, see below.  (it has lost a bit of formatting having been cut and paste from Word)  I have sent a copy to Alasdair, hopefully he will chime in an let us know what he has done with it!  (other than hit delete and proceed to the pub)

Expert Pro / General.

1) What is replacing the current Expert iOS volume control, and when’s it due for release? Also, please consider keeping and updating the current one, the design is great and just needs updating for current iOS, iPads, and add a few extra controls (like tone, SAM).

2) What are the plans for the web based configurator onboard the CI? Will it evolve to replace the current internet configurator, and ultimately remove the need for SD card configuration? Please share as much detail as you can.

3) What is the signal path for AIR on the CI, compared to AES/EBU and USB?  Or in other words, is there an optimum way to feed and Expert Pro with respect to ultimate performance / sound quality?

4) Are there any technical reasons why the beta and latest versions of the firmware can influence sound quality? Have any changes to the beta and latest versions of the firmware been specifically intended to improve sound quality performance?

5) With respect to the master companion link, are there any plans for to implement an alternative link method?  For example, Dante or Ravenna protocol, or are any other options like Ethernet being considered?  (To mitigate issues such as XLR cable length).

6) Are there any plans to increase playback resolution (or is the Pro-CI or Phantom physically capable of):
• Present - PCM to 24-bit/192 kHz and DoP / DSD64
• Future - PCM to 32bit/768kHz and DoP to DSD512, Native DSD to DSD512?
• Or anything above 192/DSD64?

7) What is the input impedance of the MM phono input? Has this been changed since Stereophile measured 14K on the D-Premier?

8) Is it technically possible to increase the power output of the 250Pro?  Similarly, is there any scope for power increases for the 220, 440 & 1000 Pro models?

Legacy Expert Models:

9) What is the future for the “non-Pro” Expert models?  What happened to the twice yearly firmware updates that were meant to make the EVO platform unique in its ability to constantly evolve and remove obsolescence? The computational power of the Expert range in use was specified as only 20% utilized from the fw10. This means that there is room for software improvements also in the old range.  If not been abandoned completely, what can “legacy Expert” owners expect in the future?

10) Will the upgrade program restart? If so, when?

Phantom questions:

11) Is it possible to have a switch in Spark that selects "normal", "zero latency" or "time-coincident" for Phantom?

12) Any plans to include Phantoms in the RoonReady program after the Experts are certified?

Communication

13) Is the infamous pledge to make a better communication area on the website for engaging with customers still a reality? The Infinity Core log seemed to fade, with limited Devialet posting, and nothing for the latest final release software. Can they reconsider engaging with Devialetchat?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Nice work confused.

Yeah I was thinking about expanding on my 250 pro power question.
What I’d really like to know is what are the theoretical power limits of the hardware in all the expert models (ie assuming cooling etc isn’t a consideration and we’re in a theoretical infinitely cooled env). We hear the odd post about voltage/heat limits, but not sure whether these have come from Devialet or not, and whether they still apply to the latest Pro hardware.

Let’s see what - if anything - comes back from the list.

(PS would have added a reputation point, but at this stage it seems, er, a bit pointless......)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Frankly this talk is the biggest event this year up till now. Too bad i cannot attend. Good job Oxford Audio.
(06-Jul-2018, 14:48)G51 Wrote: Frankly this talk is the biggest event this year up till now. Too bad i cannot attend. Good job Oxford Audio.

Harry and Meghan's wedding?  World Cup? Huh
(06-Jul-2018, 15:37)Confused Wrote:
(06-Jul-2018, 14:48)G51 Wrote: Frankly this talk is the biggest event this year up till now. Too bad i cannot attend. Good job Oxford Audio.

Very funny, Confused. 

i myself am very interested what the unused calculating power of pro ci or pro or expert original can do and what Mathieu is planning to do with it. Someone seemed to have said that it is not powerful enough to do room correction.

from Hong Kong
Question 13 - Communication - might use a bit of wordsmithing. In truth, while the pledge was made, there has yet to be any demonstration of reality. I would suggest something more along the lines of...

"13) In light of Devialet's pledge to improve online customer communication, can you elaborate on how, specifically, you will approach this and when might it begin? And, would you reconsider engaging with customers on DevialetChat?"
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(06-Jul-2018, 17:35)mdconnelly Wrote: Question 13 - Communication - might use a bit of wordsmithing.   In truth, while the pledge was made, there has yet to be any demonstration of reality.   I would suggest something more along the lines of...

"13) In light of Devialet's pledge to improve online customer communication, can you elaborate on how, specifically, you will approach this and when might it begin?  And, would you reconsider engaging with customers on DevialetChat?"

Hopefully this question (and many others), will be somewhat immaterial, as Devialet will come armed with all the answers we want to hear, including the announcement of a new 'Roon' style community website - about to go live the same day as the official launch of; the new models, the new streaming software, the new iOS remote, the new Pro firmware, the new full web gui configurator, all the docs, a load of new white papers, and updated firmware for the non-Pro's. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Jul-2018, 17:17)G51 Wrote:
(06-Jul-2018, 15:37)Confused Wrote:

Very funny, Confused. 

i myself am very interested what the unused calculating power of pro ci or pro or expert original can do and what Mathieu is planning to do with it. Someone seemed to have said that it is not powerful enough to do room correction.

from Hong Kong

I would be really interested in the room correction feature as well. I know that Devialet can already run a custom parametric eq, so it can do a basic room correction at least. I’m not sure about convolution. Problem is that we cannot create or edit these custom dsp files yet, so I wonder do they have any plans for making this possible for example in the current/new configurator.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(06-Jul-2018, 19:17)petrik Wrote: I know that Devialet can already run a custom parametric eq, so it can do a basic room correction at least.

I actually thought they removed this ability a while back? Had anyone successfully tried it?