Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update neutered my Phantoms
It takes some time to get used to the new levels. But i really like my phantoms (two whites). And the NEW levels is fine with me after get used to them. I had no other problems with my speakers. Even the lipsynch is better now IMHO. Im still on the trial period and IF i will send them back it will be for the silver ones. But i'm not sure i need them 8-).
Hi Peeps,

So I have an update.

No, the Phantoms were not responsible for my Meridan Sooloos not being able to stream. It was my sticky fingers and impatience. There is a setting in the app, that I had not selected which prevented the streaming. I don't know how this setting would have changed between me updating the Phantoms and going to play some music. Its a puzzle. So sorry Devialet, for blaming the firmware update on you. Blush

However, the sound... its changed. And it takes getting used to.

Before the update, from 1.3.x the sound was there up there and in your face. A setting of 30/35 was good. That has now moved up to about 40-45 for most music. Then things really start to happen at about 50. But I find the bass missing at the lower volumes. I remember being in awe, that at about 30-35 you could still get a good dose of bass. But that seems to have gone, at these lower levels. To me, the bass only truly gets going at around 45-50.

This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?
(16-Nov-2015, 22:01)stonedragon Wrote: Hi Peeps,

So I have an update.

No, the Phantoms were not responsible for my Meridan Sooloos not being able to stream. It was my sticky fingers and impatience. There is a setting in the app, that I had not selected which prevented the streaming. I don't know how this setting would have changed between me updating the Phantoms and going to play some music. Its a puzzle. So sorry Devialet, for blaming the firmware update on you. Blush

However, the sound... its changed. And it takes getting used to.

Before the update, from 1.3.x the sound was there up there and in your face. A setting of 30/35 was good. That has now moved up to about 40-45 for most music. Then things really start to happen at about 50. But I find the bass missing at the lower volumes. I remember being in awe, that at about 30-35 you could still get a good dose of bass. But that seems to have gone, at these lower levels. To me, the bass only truly gets going at around 45-50.

This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?

There is no difference, only volume setting is changed.
Maybe you have to do a complete factory reset or listen again with a glass of wine
(16-Nov-2015, 22:26)Johnnydev Wrote:
(16-Nov-2015, 22:01)stonedragon Wrote: This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?

There is no difference, only volume setting is changed.
Maybe you have to do a complete factory reset or listen again with a glass of wine

We've seen the log sweep measurements showing that the frequency response has NOT changed.  That said, I ran the Phantom through my Pioneer receiver's auto-EQ feature before/after and it does seem like there was a more EQ to the bass (i.e. bass lowered) and slightly less eq at the 1kHz range (more accurate midrange).  The receiver EQ doesn't go below 63Hz though.

I actually like the new sound because the bass is a bit less overwhelming.  On a full 20-20kHz pink noise track from a Revel subwoofer test CD, the current Phantom actually measures fairly flat, and using an SPL meter, the bass roll off doesn't occur (in my room) until less then 23 hz (and that roll-off could be the mic). The bass is a little less "cooked" -- but still sounds great.  

It is possible that there has been a change to the SAM parameters.  This might show up in an actual music track but not a log sweep, I personally thought it could be just my woofers "breaking in" but stonedragon's comment is not diametrically opposed to the impressions of others.  Maybe less bass, clearer midrange.

I thought that it could be that my speakers are breaking in -- but stonedragon was happy with the sound until the firmware update and I suppose the volume calibration isn't the only difference otherwise they wouldn't have released a 1.4 firmware and then pulled it.
(17-Nov-2015, 00:48)AlanD Wrote: I thought that it could be that my speakers are breaking in...

Yeah, the more I listen to the Phantom, the more I got convinced that it was just breaking-in. The Phantoms are clean so it's tempting to listen as higher volumes than you expect. What was happening was that with the old calibration of the volume, I saw a low number but was actually listening to a higher SPL than the current level I'm listening to.

With that, plus the log sweep, I tried turning up the volume and at the higher volumes, it replicates what I remember. So, 1.4.1.12 probably does NOT have a different sound profile when playing through Spark. I spoke w/Devialet and they confirmed that there was no change to the sound profile.

@stonedragon -- what if you just turn up the volume some more?
"This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?"

I totally agree!
(18-Nov-2015, 21:30)ChalleB Wrote: "This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?"

I totally agree!

I do not agree at all.
If you listen to a single phantom: bass is def scaled back. mids are reasonable, highs ok
(08-Nov-2015, 09:23)ChalleB Wrote: I can´t help feeling that after the latest update I have actually lost some of that magical bass

You know, i have the same feeling. Something is missing bass wise. Especially at low volume.
To be honest from a rational perspective i don't think devialet would change the sound specs - it would be crazy -.
But something is missing.
Its true, and quite apparent when listening to a single phantom.

Maybe these opnions should be sent to Devialet?