Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update neutered my Phantoms
(19-Nov-2015, 10:42)ChalleB Wrote: Its true, and quite apparent when listening to a single phantom.

Maybe these opnions should be sent to Devialet?

Well you can send them if you like, my single white Phantom sounds identical to me so not really bothered.
Try two phantoms
(19-Nov-2015, 13:39)Johnnydev Wrote: Try two phantoms

yes try 2, its  more than double the sound of 1   thats for sure!  Cool
Nope... they are precisely 1.75632 times better; I measured it with Scientific Instruments. I won't bother you all with the technicalities.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
One thing puzzles me:
Even if the spherical shape of Phantom helps spreading the sound throughout the room with low directivity, how can we expect playing an originally stereo program with only one speaker clearly playing mono, without any affected tonal balance (among other parameters) during the stereo -> mono conversion? I just doesn't make sense to me.

I do understand that a single unit can be a good compromise if we love the sound of Phantom, but it also means accepting the tricky downconversion to mono.
Maybe it's precisely what could have changed in the new firmware, since this operation is a compromise that cannot even tend to any kind of perfection, unlike an amplified speaker reproducing a given audio channel.
To my understanding, even the original sound engineer would have hard time duplicating the tonal balance into a mono version of the recording. So trying to do so from the stereo mix, without any clue of phase mapping of the different recorded sources, sounds definitely impossible, and cannot lead to any equally satisfying result for all recordings: it will highly depend on the choices made to create the stereo, which can be very different, and can hardly be guessed and reverted.

What do you think?

Is there anyone running *two* Phantoms still disappointed with the new firmware, once used to the new volume log scale?

Anyway, the confusion / comparison between single & dual Phantom systems also demonstrates that the mono conversion is working well beyond what I thought that could be achieved...
(19-Nov-2015, 10:30)RobLnd Wrote:
(08-Nov-2015, 09:23)ChalleB Wrote: I can´t help feeling that after the latest update I have actually lost some of that magical bass

You know, i have the same feeling. Something is missing bass wise. Especially at low volume.
To be honest from a rational perspective i don't think devialet would change the sound specs - it would be crazy -.
But something is missing.

Are you all for shore that the night mode is off !
(20-Nov-2015, 17:17)Johnnydev Wrote:
(19-Nov-2015, 10:30)RobLnd Wrote:
(08-Nov-2015, 09:23)ChalleB Wrote: I can´t help feeling that after the latest update I have actually lost some of that magical bass

You know, i have the same feeling. Something is missing bass wise. Especially at low volume.
To be honest from a rational perspective i don't think devialet would change the sound specs - it would be crazy -.
But something is missing.

Are you all for shore that the night mode is off !

Yes, night mode is off Smile
Its not that there is no bass, the bass sounds great, but just not the same as before.
Less pronounced.
(20-Nov-2015, 13:30)JohnnySix Wrote: Nope... they are precisely 1.75632 times better; I measured it with Scientific Instruments. I won't bother you all with the technicalities.

no please dont. 2 phantoms  = Stereo =  much better than mono
 Big Grin
I did not have my 2 phantoms / dialog before the firmware update, so can compare. The phantoms excel at the base, what I hear now is not short of base. Maybe some people like lots of base, others dont....as there is no equalizer capability, Devialet toning down the base a bit was a good move. Way better though if they added in equalizer control, and came up with a Dialog with a bigger heat sink, so overheating is not an issue. With electrical components, I though I heard that heat was the enemy???
The bass is still awesome! And they sound fantastic, even better than before the update. More balance Smile
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch