Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here
Hmm...you've got me thinking: I must dig out my Sonus Faber Minima FM2s and try them with the Devialet Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-May-2018, 14:09)thumb5 Wrote: Hmm...you've got me thinking: I must dig out my Sonus Faber Minima FM2s and try them with the Devialet Smile

For years now I have been wondering about trying my old JBL's with the Devialet.  It would be hilarious if I found I preferred them to the Blades...... Shy

This is not a picture of my actual JBL's, but mine are exactly this model. 
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...5-Jbl-L100

Very 'old school' though, 12" bass drivers, thin wooden cabinet, lovely!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm playing JBL 4345 biamped and active crossover with D1000 Pro CI.

[Image: eb46e47172ecb7a1cf7053b844c5da7e.jpg][Image: aa4032a0a4df0ba4194ba5220247a138.jpg]
(10-May-2018, 20:21)ki Wrote: I'm playing JBL 4345 biamped and active crossover with D1000 Pro CI.
Very nice love them  Heart
Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Ditto - those are some classic set of speakers!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(10-May-2018, 20:21)Waiski Wrote: I'm playing JBL 4345 biamped and active crossover with D1000 Pro CI.

.... Guzzi... nice....

James B who?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
The speakers are from year 1981 but the sound is diamond. These speakers with active crossover + rebuild passive crossover does give amazing sound. When I did compare to B&W 800 D3 played with 1000 pro I did prefer my JBL. It was 100-0.

I have had also my bike in music room in winter time.

[Image: b93b4f1676ba6b272e5d0e8cf9d8e89c.jpg]
(10-May-2018, 13:44)Lowland Wrote:
(10-May-2018, 03:04)Pim Wrote:
(09-May-2018, 17:58)Lowland Wrote: Since a few days I'm sometimes connecting my old Dynaudio Contour 1.1. 
They sound better than I've ever heard before.

Is that because of the amplification or were you running the Devialet previously on them as well?

The Dynaudios are part of a former rig together with a Linn Klassik (CD, amp, tuner all-in-one). 
I've never heard them with the D200. They were staying in storage. 
Until last week when I was impressed by the sound of some 35 year old Proac monitor speakers. 
It made me curious to try the Dynaudios with the D200 and I was kind of flabbergasted that they could produce this tight, rhythmic, clear sound, with beautiful bass. Without using SAM. 
Good speakers don't have to be that expensive. They're about 1/8 the prize of my Audiovectors. 
Of course the Audiovectors are better, but I had not expected I would enjoy the Dynaudios so much.

The Dynaudios need the extra power the D200 is able to deliver. That's probably why you hadn't heard their potential before. Try a D400 and it gets better again  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-May-2018, 03:21)Pim Wrote:
(10-May-2018, 13:44)Lowland Wrote:
(10-May-2018, 03:04)Pim Wrote: Is that because of the amplification or were you running the Devialet previously on them as well?

The Dynaudios are part of a former rig together with a Linn Klassik (CD, amp, tuner all-in-one). 
I've never heard them with the D200. They were staying in storage. 
Until last week when I was impressed by the sound of some 35 year old Proac monitor speakers. 
It made me curious to try the Dynaudios with the D200 and I was kind of flabbergasted that they could produce this tight, rhythmic, clear sound, with beautiful bass. Without using SAM. 
Good speakers don't have to be that expensive. They're about 1/8 the prize of my Audiovectors. 
Of course the Audiovectors are better, but I had not expected I would enjoy the Dynaudios so much.

The Dynaudios need the extra power the D200 is able to deliver. That's probably why you hadn't heard their potential before. Try a D400 and it gets better again  Smile

Dynaudios sound better every time you put a bigger amp on them, but the class AD amp in the Devialet delivers better with them than an equivalent class AB amp which I think is what is impressing Lowland.

Before I got my 130 Pro I was running Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs with a NAD M3 class AB integrated which puts out 180 w/ch into 4, 6 or 8 ohms and they sounded very nice. I had originally been running them with an integrated which put out around 110 w/ch into 4 ohms and the extra 70w/ch into 4 ohms of the NAD definitely gave an improvement. I don't know how much the 130 Pro puts into 4 ohms but it's less than the NAD. Even so the 130 PRO was definitely a step up from the NAD which I put down to 2 things, the class AD amp (class D seems to deliver better bass control than the equivalent in class AB) and also probably a better power supply in the 130 PRO. SAM at around a 25% setting added a bit of icing to what was already a very nice cake.

But basically I don't think it matters what size amp you have with Dyns, a bigger amp always seems to make them sound nicer. I don't think it's the extra watts, I think it's the fact that bigger amps tend to have more capable power supplies and perhaps better damping factor as well.

I sometimes wonder whether it's ever possible to have too much power for a pair of Dyns but with an amp which has a good power supply and damping factor Dyns can sound very nice indeed with much fewer watts than many people seem to think are necessary. Yes, you can make them sound a bit nicer with more watts but that can become very expensive for small improvements. I think a D200 with a pair of Contour 1.1s would sound more than nice enough to satisfy pretty well anyone who doesn't obsess about getting the absolute ultimate in performance because that is going to become very expensive very fast. Provided the room isn't too big, 200w/ch with the stand mount Contours is capable of delivering superb performance with good setup. If you have a D400 they will sound nicer but you're going close to doubling the cost of your amplification and you won't get anywhere near twice as good sound quality and you're also probably never going to use the extra 3 dB of peak output level you can get from the extra watts. You're definitely into diminishing returns territory in my view.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(13-May-2018, 04:24)David A Wrote: Yes, you can make them sound a bit nicer with more watts but that can become very expensive for small improvements. I think a D200 with a pair of Contour 1.1s would sound more than nice enough to satisfy pretty well anyone who doesn't obsess about getting the absolute ultimate in performance because that is going to become very expensive very fast. Provided the room isn't too big, 200w/ch with the stand mount Contours is capable of delivering superb performance with good setup. If you have a D400 they will sound nicer but you're going close to doubling the cost of your amplification and you won't get anywhere near twice as good sound quality and you're also probably never going to use the extra 3 dB of peak output level you can get from the extra watts. You're definitely into diminishing returns territory in my view.

You're pretty much spot on @David A. 

I had (still have in a box) a D170 on my C1's first. Then went to D200 and SAM with the firmware upgrade and that gave the biggest improvement. The step to Od'A did give me better sound quality indeed but the jump wasn't as big. It's mainly at lower volumes that the sound becomes fuller with the Od'A but I'm sure larger speakers at the end of a D200 would have done the same if not better. I just jumped for the Od'A with the prospect of bigger speakers in the future. My previous post was more to illustrate how much influence good amplification (Devialet  Big Grin )  can have on a pair of speaker.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.