Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here
(13-May-2018, 05:05)Pim Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 04:24)David A Wrote: Yes, you can make them sound a bit nicer with more watts but that can become very expensive for small improvements. I think a D200 with a pair of Contour 1.1s would sound more than nice enough to satisfy pretty well anyone who doesn't obsess about getting the absolute ultimate in performance because that is going to become very expensive very fast. Provided the room isn't too big, 200w/ch with the stand mount Contours is capable of delivering superb performance with good setup. If you have a D400 they will sound nicer but you're going close to doubling the cost of your amplification and you won't get anywhere near twice as good sound quality and you're also probably never going to use the extra 3 dB of peak output level you can get from the extra watts. You're definitely into diminishing returns territory in my view.

You're pretty much spot on @David A. 

I had (still have in a box) a D170 on my C1's first. Then went to D200 and SAM with the firmware upgrade and that gave the biggest improvement. The step to Od'A did give me better sound quality indeed but the jump wasn't as big. It's mainly at lower volumes that the sound becomes fuller with the Od'A but I'm sure larger speakers at the end of a D200 would have done the same if not better. I just jumped for the Od'A with the prospect of bigger speakers in the future. My previous post was more to illustrate how much influence good amplification (Devialet  Big Grin )  can have on a pair of speaker.

I have the new Contour 20 and can attest that anything less than a D220 is a fellony.

In the meantime the new Confidence has been shown in Munchen. Dynaudio claims that it is there best loudspeaker yet. New version of the Esotar tweeter, new baffle material, new magnets... Now I'm just waiting for Pim to order those babies and give us a review. For me unfortunately, with their price tag of €12000 for the smallest model, they are out of reach.
(13-May-2018, 08:39)Stino Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 04:24)David A Wrote: Yes, you can make them sound a bit nicer with more watts but that can become very expensive for small improvements. I think a D200 with a pair of Contour 1.1s would sound more than nice enough to satisfy pretty well anyone who doesn't obsess about getting the absolute ultimate in performance because that is going to become very expensive very fast. Provided the room isn't too big, 200w/ch with the stand mount Contours is capable of delivering superb performance with good setup. If you have a D400 they will sound nicer but you're going close to doubling the cost of your amplification and you won't get anywhere near twice as good sound quality and you're also probably never going to use the extra 3 dB of peak output level you can get from the extra watts. You're definitely into diminishing returns territory in my view.

I had (still have in a box) a D170 on my C1's first. Then went to D200 and SAM with the firmware upgrade and that gave the biggest improvement. The step to Od'A did give me better sound quality indeed but the jump wasn't as big. It's mainly at lower volumes that the sound becomes fuller with the Od'A but I'm sure larger speakers at the end of a D200 would have done the same if not better. I just jumped for the Od'A with the prospect of bigger speakers in the future. My previous post was more to illustrate how much influence good amplification (Devialet  Big Grin )  can have on a pair of speaker.

I have the new Contour 20 and can attest that anything less than a D220 is a fellony.

In the meantime the new Confidence has been shown in Munchen. Dynaudio claims that it is there best loudspeaker yet. New version of the Esotar tweeter, new baffle material, new magnets... Now I'm just waiting for Pim to order those babies and give us a review. For me unfortunately, with their price tag of €12000 for the smallest model, they are out of reach.

Sorry mate but I don't have the dollars for those at the moment and even if I did, they'd have to sound incredible because they look horrible in my view. I've never been in love with the look of my C1's either. Loved the C2 and C4 look. As for the new range, not in my living room. Then again, the living room sounds like shit so it's not worthy of a good system.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Thank you both for your informative replies.
Upgrading to D400 wasn’t on my mind before. Now it tickles my fantasy. 
It would come down to buying a second hand D200. 
The pro is that prizes are dramatically reduced. The con is that there’s less opportunity to find out how it will sound like.
living room: Rega Planar3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze - Naim CD5 (Naim DIN cable) - Sony UBP-X800 (Audioquest Forest) - Nakamichi BX300-E
Devialet D200 - Devialet AIR with Roon
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté (Supra Ply 3.4S) - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mk2
study: JRiver - Windows PC - Roon - Audeze Deckard - Focal Elear
Devialet 440 
sonus faber  Olympica II
Devialet D200 Expert
Avalon Avatar
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
Thumbs Up 
(13-May-2018, 18:45)Lowland Wrote:

The pro is that prizes a .q. The con is that there’s less opportunity to find out how it will sound like drive
I used Contour 1.1 for about 12 years. Very good speaker but quite difficult to drive. I’ve heard the entire new,  range. Quite expensive as lots of the money has gone on the enclosure and baffle. Personally, you’d get much better value sticking with the D200 and going for Harbeth P3 ESR 40th Anniversary and a REL sub, either a used S2 or an S3. The Harbeth are a similar size to the 1.1 and easier to drive.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(10-May-2018, 04:54)whatmore Wrote:
(10-May-2018, 01:55)PeppaPig Wrote: Devialet Expert 1000 PRO + MBL

Wow! I love MBL speakers.
They are super demanding I believe, how does the 1000 pro go driving them?

The Devialet 1000 Pro drives my MBL with ease. But I am not sure if it’s the best match, probably not.

Tell me why you love MBL speakers?
(15-May-2018, 07:51)ssfas Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 18:45)Lowland Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 05:05)Pim Wrote: You're pretty much spot on @David A. 

The pro is that prizes a .q. The con is that there’s less opportunity to find out how it will sound like drive
I used Contour 1.1 for about 12 years. Very good speaker but quite difficult to drive. I’ve heard the entire new,  range. Quite expensive as lots of the money has gone on the enclosure and baffle. Personally, you’d get much better value sticking with the D200 and going for Harbeth P3 ESR 40th Anniversary and a REL sub, either a used S2 or an S3. The Harbeth are a similar size to the 1.1 and easier to drive.
It didn’t occur to me that Harbeth speakers have a similar sound character as the 1.1. I’ll keep it in mind. 
First I want to find out what’s over from my love for my Audio Vectors. 
At the moment I find their sound a bit too big, rich, broad, lush, bright. Whereas the 1.1’s sound more dry and have a perfect balance of low,mid and high tones. At least to my ears. 
My wife has a far better hearing and can’t understand I’m running the 1.1’s instead of the AV’s.
So far I’ve only compared them with rock music.
living room: Rega Planar3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze - Naim CD5 (Naim DIN cable) - Sony UBP-X800 (Audioquest Forest) - Nakamichi BX300-E
Devialet D200 - Devialet AIR with Roon
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté (Supra Ply 3.4S) - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mk2
study: JRiver - Windows PC - Roon - Audeze Deckard - Focal Elear
(15-May-2018, 14:27)Lowland Wrote:
(15-May-2018, 07:51)ssfas Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 18:45)Lowland Wrote: Thank you both for your informative replies.
It didn’t occur to me that Harbeth speakers have a similar sound character as the 1.1. I’ll keep it in mind. 
First I want to find out what’s over from my love for my Audio Vectors. 
At the moment I find their sound a bit too big, rich, broad, lush, bright. Whereas the 1.1’s sound more dry and have a perfect balance of low,mid and high tones. At least to my ears. 
My wife has a far better hearing and can’t understand I’m running the 1.1’s instead of the AV’s.
So far I’ve only compared them with rock music.

Contour 1.1 and P3ESR are very different designs, but both have fabulous proprietary drivers and uncoloured fatigue-free performance.
There are loads of reviews of the P3ESR, it is the best speaker of its type.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/harb...ker-page-2
I had the larger SHL5plus. My dealer suggested I try a REL S2 and it was a good decision. I sold the SHL5plus before my SHL5plus 40th Anniversary arrived, so put the P3ESR in place for a few weeks. Tweaked the sub crossover. My room is about 5m x 6m and I could have lived happily ever after with that.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
Expert 220 CI + Vandersteen 5a
Vandersteen 5A, d220 pro CI , Dyrholm Audio x series cables all the way, qnap 451+,Mac mini Audirvana, dedicated circuits. Moscow Russia