Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here
(24-Jul-2018, 17:32)TheFactsOfLife Wrote: Lot of different speakers/combinations here, i'm looking to try some new speakers, although i love the Beonicks they can become a bit bright and deep bass just don't happen. I still prefer my Kef reference 203 mk 2's in meny ways, but the wife loves the compact size of the Beonicks,she dosn't listen to the music, it's all about looks.
So before rushing out whats peoples thoughts on using something like Rel sub woofers , i could place a table clothe over them and pass them as side tables.
Being serious do meny of you use subs?

You said that the Boenickes can become a bit bright. Your perception of brightness can change if the bass changes so I'd try playing a bit with speaker placement to get a bit more bass support and perhaps a slight boost to the bass using the Devialet's bass control. That could change your perceptions and opinion of the Boenickes and it will cost you nothing but a bit of time experimenting. Any improvement you get with better speaker placement is likely to help down the track if you decide to stick with the Boenickes and just add a sub so I think that is where you should start.

Subs bring the problems of placement, of setup, and of cost which can mount fast if you want a sub to go really low. Size increases fast if you want low extension also. Because of the way rooms work acoustically at low frequencies you can usually get better results using 2 or 3 identical subs rather than 1 single sub and that compounds those problems. A sub or subs  can definitely make an improvement but depending on your speakers, your room, your choice of music, and how well you do the setup you may not be able to get a big improvement and with bad setup you can even make things worse. I'm not against adding subs but I do think it's best to see what you can do with what you've already got before you go down that route. There are often improvements you can make with speaker placement or using a bit of bass boost which can help a lot and which may even make enough of a difference to satisfy you. Depending on the room and what results you can achieve that way, using physical bass traps to acoustically treat the room may also help a lot.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Probably a bit heretical but I’m running Avantgarde UNO G2 with an Expert 120.
Nice combo for me
last Friday I have finally replaced my old speakers (Teufel Definion 5) with a new pair of black Magico S3 MkII, connected to a Devialet Expert 200. It is possible to use the SAM konfiguration for the Magico S3 MkI which means a further improvement in bass quality. I have never heard anything comparable to this setup, tried KEF Blade, Focal Sopra 2 and B&W 802D3 before without enthusiasm. Even my german dealer was surprised how well the "old" D200 handles any level of volume you could want in my room, paired with clarity and enormous details.
1. HTPC + foobar2000 -> ifi iSilencer 3.0 -> Lavricables Ultimate Silver USB-Cable -> D400 -> Refine Ultima Musica GP -> Magico S3 MkII - separate room optimized with absorbers, diffusors and using audionet Carma
2. HTPC + foobar2000 -> ifi iSilencer 3.0 -> Lavricables Ultimate Silver USB-Cable -> NAD C510 -> Refine Ultima Musica XLR Cables -> Stax SRM Monitor + SR Lambda Pro
I had a D200 driving a pair PMC Fact 12 speakers with Chord Sarum speaker cables and have been thinking about adding a second D200 to make it a D400. Earlier this week I picked up a demo D250 from the dealer. It replaced the D200 and sounded amazing, a whole lot better then the D200 to my ears. My dealer told me to use them together as mono's, so I gave it a try. Not sure what to call this, but I limited the D250/800 to 400 watt and the 400 as is. I have to say it sounds even better then the D250 in stereo.

The system works perfectly fine as master and slave. I'm not hearing a significant difference between the two amps/speakers at the moment, but I expect it will be better to have 2 x 200 or 2 x 250. For now I'm happy. I have no prior experience with dual mono Devialet.
1. Devialet D1000 Pro, PMC Fact 12, Shunyata Sigma V2 speaker cables, Roon RAAT.
2. Devialet D250, Acoustic Energy AE1 mk1 on original stands, Straight Wire Crescendo 3 speaker cables. Roon
You have already heard the difference between a 200 and a 250. Just about the same difference will exist when you use them as mono blocks. You have already taken care the most audible  - the level difference between channels. You'll notice the rest when you have 2x200 or 2x250. Luckily the two amps sound very similar so it will probably work well until you can use two identical amps. Very interesting setup!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Devialet Expert 220Pro
Audioquest Flat Rock K2
Welcome B & W 802D3 Rolleyes , goodbye Focal Sopra 3 Sad

B & W will be set up / measured and heard next week!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Devialet Expert 250 Pro, without Core Infinity upgrade, driving Martin Logan ESL-Xs with SAM on 100%. I am very happy with this setup especially since I have added a Roon Nucleus with a Synology NAS operated via iPad pro/ iPhone 7. Most of my music collection is ripped from CD using dBpoweramp CD ripper, an FLAC. Some music bought from HD Klassik and Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall (24: 192), still running some Amazon MP3.
Devialet Expert 250 Pro connected via 3m pair of Epic Reference speaker cables to Martin Logan ESL-X Hybrid electrostatic speakers. SAM at 100%. Roon Nucleus, Tidal, NAS- Synology DS218. Amp, Roon and NAS connected via Ethernet. dBpoweramp CD Ripper.
(25-Jul-2018, 00:49)whatmore Wrote: Probably a bit heretical but I’m running Avantgarde UNO G2 with an Expert 120.
Nice combo for me

Cool! Did you use tube amps before?
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(21-Aug-2018, 01:42)AaronG Wrote:
(25-Jul-2018, 00:49)whatmore Wrote: Probably a bit heretical but I’m running Avantgarde UNO G2 with an Expert 120.
Nice combo for me

Cool! Did you use tube amps before?

I still use tube amps - I switch between my Expert 120 and a Line Magnetic 219IA Smile
[/quote]

I still use tube amps - I switch between my Expert 120 and a Line Magnetic 219IA Smile
[/quote]

Sweet!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C